Quantcast
Teachers association still thinks wage increases will be part of negotiations - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Teachers association still thinks wage increases will be part of negotiations

My Ride
    bus

Teachers need a pay cut or their 2month holiday taken away. How hard is it to stand up in the front, read out of a textbook and give homework.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Ford F150

A good teacher is worth their weight in gold.

Any educator that believes in "no zero" policies or "new math" should be shot dead however.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

Any educator that believes in "no zero" policies or "new math" should be shot dead however.
    Combine tgis with the nonsense that is now spreading to post secondary and we're simply breeding generations of pussies and setting them all up for failure once they hit the workforce.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb

New math is very effective for multiplication.

My Ride
    Anything topless.

Originally posted by redblack
    Teachers need a pay cut or their 2month holiday taken away. How hard is it to stand up in the front, read out of a textbook and give homework.
    Totally! Teachers need a pay cut for sure. If the economy is suffering, then yes, we should lower their pay. Just like when the O&G industry was flourishing, people were rushing to give teachers a pay increase! Oh wait...

From this statement I'm guessing that you did not have any good teachers in your educational tenure...AT ALL. I know I did not have very many good teachers who challenged my thinking and I shared your opinion for a while; however, there are teachers who do positively affect their students' lives and I then realized that it was not necessarily the teachers who taught me that jaded my view of education but my own attitude toward learning.

If your schooling consisted of just listening to a teacher read a text book in front of a class and give you homework then yes, that teacher does deserve a pay cut and you should go back to school and relive your schooling with an inspiring and thought provoking teacher.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

WTF!! I am a moderator!!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by FraserB

and setting them all up for failure once they hit the workforce.
    Actually... I am starting to disagree with this sentiment.

If everyone IN the workforce is a bunch of pussies that don't know how to work, and are the people effectively setting policy for appropriate work behaviour/effort, in effect, the situation sets itself up to breed that kind of mentality.

And since everyone has to be inclusive and not shit on anyone's parade, they all get gold star performance reviews anyways. The liberal dream lives on!

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

New math is very effective for multiplication.
    new math is very effective for failure

my degree is in statistics and actuarial science and when I saw new math I was like WTF??????
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

If teachers are expected to take a payout when times are bad they should have received bonuses and raises when oil was $100+...but instead they had a three year wage freeze and a 2% (maximum of $2000 for teachers of ten years+) increase in the fourth. Can't have it both ways in my opinion and I think they deserve everything they get. 10 years to get to 94-100gs isn't all that great especially since coaching and extra curricular's are volunteer based.

Originally posted by v8killa
    10 years to get to 94-100gs isn't all that great
    Depends who you ask really - It's over double the average Canadian wage of $49,000.

$30,000 higher than the average Albertan

http://careers.workopolis.com/advice...ges-right-now/

Justin Trudeau's idea of middle class is $44,700 - $89,400 , so according to Trudeau, a teacher is a High Income earner.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by 403Gemini

Depends who you ask really - It's over double the average Canadian wage of $49,000.

$30,000 higher than the average Albertan

http://careers.workopolis.com/advice...ges-right-now/

Justin Trudeau's idea of middle class is $44,700 - $89,400 , so according to Trudeau, a teacher is a High Income earner.
    I don't even...

Would you like to expand on your apples to oranges comparison of someone with a university degree and 10 years of directly applicable career experience versus the average wage of a Canadian (which includes people working as cashiers)? And how it applies to this conversation?

If you started with a teacher's starting wage (~$60k), I'd understand a little bit more. But I do not see how any point can be formed over how much a teacher tops out at.

^^No trust me, I get it. Honestly $100k a year really isn't even THAT much - but hearing some teachers plead about how hard their lives are makes me roll my eyes. Teachers year 1 start at an AVERAGE wage, they don't have to work at it - just boom year 1 of their job, 3 months off and $60k wage ($66k if they went through the full 6 years of school).

1 year after, they instantly are bumped up over average wage, and it just keeps climbing.

They are important, I won't discount that - but they are certainly paid appropriately including the amazing health care and other benefits they have.

Compare this to american teachers who start at $36k a year, ours have it pretty good.

edit: Also you finish 4 years of school, get a teaching job at 23~ years old , $60k/yr is pretty fucking awesome at 23 years old.
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Teachers might get 3 months off a year but you also have to account for all the overtime they put in, the day doesnt end at 4 because now theyve gotta go home and mark work, prep for the next day and report card season has to be a nice little process at home im sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

It took my wife 21 years to get to $95K/annum at a large O&G company, with a SAIT diploma (although, after a few years' experience, your PS education matters for shit).

I think teachers deserve their pay. A couple years of frozen wages won't hurt them.

Originally posted by Rocket1k78
    Teachers might get 3 months off a year but you also have to account for all the overtime they put in, the day doesnt end at 4 because now theyve gotta go home and mark work, prep for the next day and report card season has to be a nice little process at home im sure.
    The overtime thing is bullshit to me - I work in restoration, imagine how much "overtime" i put in with 2013 (i literally slept in my truck in High River for a few hours overnight when we were deep into the first week), or last years floods in Chestermere. I didn't get a giant bonus, I work on salary so I didn't get overtime pay - I can guarantee I was awake longer than Nenshi's claim to fame "72 hours straight!" , but I didn't piss and moan because it was my job and people needed help to get shit pumped out of their basements (not to mention trying to educate people on asbestos/mould , while the media + city council kept saying "GOOD JOB VOLUNTEERS! YANK IT OUT OF THERE!" ). I go on call every few weeks where I can be called out any time - most of my friends have careers like this as well. That said, we knew what we signed up for .

Everybody who has a career typically has some form of "take home" work now with us constantly hooked up via VPN's or by smart phone - so sorry, the worlds evolved to taking home work, it's no longer a teacher only exclusive excuse.

^^No trust me, I get it. Honestly $100k a year really isn't even THAT much - but hearing some teachers plead about how hard their lives are makes me roll my eyes. Teachers year 1 start at an AVERAGE wage, they don't have to work at it - just boom year 1 of their job, 3 months off and $60k wage ($66k if they went through the full 6 years of school).

1 year after, they instantly are bumped up over average wage, and it just keeps climbing.

They are important, I won't discount that - but they are certainly paid appropriately including the amazing health care and other benefits they have.

Compare this to american teachers who start at $36k a year, ours have it pretty good.

edit: Also you finish 4 years of school, get a teaching job at 23~ years old , $60k/yr is pretty fucking awesome at 23 years old.
    If you have 4 years of post secondary education, you won't start at 60K. You also have to keep in mind that the annual salary only applies to teachers with a probationary or continuous contract. It's very rare for first year teachers to be granted a probationary contract. Realistically, first year teachers will be on temporary contracts if they are lucky, and subbing when they are not. It's also important to note that teachers with temp contracts, even if they span the entire school year (10 months), will not be paid their full annual salary over the 10 months. Their annual salary would be divided by 12 for each month, and they are only paid for the 10 months they work; so 5/6 of their annual salary.

Also, the first year of teaching is the most difficult. No experience teaching the courses you are given, and there is no guarantee that you will teach the same courses again. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 08:54 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

The overtime thing is bullshit to me - I work in restoration, imagine how much "overtime" i put in with 2013 (i literally slept in my truck in High River for a few hours overnight when we were deep into the first week), or last years floods in Chestermere. I didn't get a giant bonus, I work on salary so I didn't get overtime pay - I can guarantee I was awake longer than Nenshi's claim to fame "72 hours straight!" , but I didn't piss and moan because it was my job and people needed help to get shit pumped out of their basements (not to mention trying to educate people on asbestos/mould , while the media + city council kept saying "GOOD JOB VOLUNTEERS! YANK IT OUT OF THERE!" ). I go on call every few weeks where I can be called out any time - most of my friends have careers like this as well. That said, we knew what we signed up for .

Everybody who has a career typically has some form of "take home" work now with us constantly hooked up via VPN's or by smart phone - so sorry, the worlds evolved to taking home work, it's no longer a teacher only exclusive excuse.
    Just because you don't know the employment standards doesn't mean they shouldn't apply to anyone else

http://work.alberta.ca/employment-st...rtime-pay.html

http://work.alberta.ca/documents/Ove...ertime-Pay.pdf
    Last edited by Nitro5; 03-01-2016 at 08:46 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Nitro5

Just because you don't know the employment standards doesn't mean they shouldn't apply to anyone else

The worst part is, if all employees started demanding their worker rights be simply respected, it would help everyone everywhere.

Employment is a two way street. The employer pays you to do work that they NEED done. You accept payment for the work. Treating it like you "owe" them something for having helped them earn money is ridiculous, and by operating with that attitude, gives employers leverage over employees for no other reason than the feels.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

The overtime thing is bullshit to me

We have big boy jobs, 40 hour work weeks are for cashiers and government employees.
    Last edited by birdman86; 03-02-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast