Quantcast
AV Universal Remote - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: AV Universal Remote

My Ride
    97 Supra tt

Default AV Universal Remote

What are most of you guys using for your home theatre room/ media room?
    751HP HKS V-Pro, Tuned by: Justin Nenni

My Ride
    Bicycle

For Home Theatre
    http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/harmony-hub

For main floor/kitchen

For Bedroom, just TV remote with chromecast. It would be cool if Freerange TV support chromecast and I can watch cable there too.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-27-2016 at 06:40 PM.

My Ride
    Grimace

I just have a harmony remote itself. If I had more devices though I would get a hub

I used to use a harmony but honestly I prefer just 2-3 normal remotes, I can do things faster, I don't like touch screens, and there is no chance of me messing up sequences. If you have a ton of equipment though the harmony is probably better - they make basic ones with the hub for $150 and no touch screen.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I use harmony through the house, from complex setups to bedrooms with just an AppleTV. The key is consistency through the house, you learn one remote it's the exact same through the house.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    97 Supra tt

Originally posted by rage2
    I use harmony through the house, from complex setups to bedrooms with just an AppleTV. The key is consistency through the house, you learn one remote it's the exact same through the house.
    What Harmony are you using? 650/700 or the ultimate One?

I was wondering about just getting the 650. I heard people don't like where some of the buttons are place on the Ultimate One.
    751HP HKS V-Pro, Tuned by: Justin Nenni

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I get the apps for my phone generally and put them all in a folder, but the Xbox remote controls my reciever, my Telus box, and the Xbox, so don't really need other remotes

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 10:36 AM.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Harmony rocks! I have a One and a 1000. Like them both.

I've had the One for years, and its never let me down. They can be a bit flakey if you arent pointing at the tv while its doing its thing, but other than that, great.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I have 3 harmony remotes. Use a harmony elite for my media room ( components in cabinet ) which is awesome. Big ergonomic improvement over the previous and the new dedicated home control buttons for lights is also really nice to have.

My ultimate (which I replaced with the elite) I use on the main floor which is a big improvement over the one I had there before. Once you go with an RF remote you will never go back. You realize really quick how irritating pointing an IR remote is.

My original One I use in the bedroom just because it's much nicer to use than the shaw/Samsung I had before.

Great thing about harmony is how easily is scales to whatever kind to setup you need. In my basement it controls Tv, Reciever, Shaw Cable Box, Xbox One, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, Sonos, Lights. All hidden in a cabinet. The only thing the remote itself controls is TV on/off. Would link to control my fireplace on it eventually as well. Living room it controls tv sound bar cable and an Xbox one. Even with so few devices it works great.

If you even have an inkling about going with the hub based rf remote I say go for it. Even if it's an on sale or older model harmony ultimate. Changes the way you use remotes in a big way. However I find the iPhone controls of the hub irritating and never use them personally. So if you get a hub. Get one with a remote.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by redmethods
    What Harmony are you using? 650/700 or the ultimate One?

I was wondering about just getting the 650. I heard people don't like where some of the buttons are place on the Ultimate One.
    I'm using Harmony 900's through the house, the last of the great Harmony remotes. The home theater I use an Ultimate One because they discontinued the 900 by the time my basement was built. The problem with the ultimate one and really any new Harmonys with RF is the lack of physical buttons. The minor one is the keypad, never realized how often you use it till its gone. The bigger problem is the loss of dedicated fast forward and skip forward buttons (same with rewind and skip back). The new remotes integrate the 2 buttons into one, so you press once for fast forward or hold it down for skip forward. It's the worst implementation ever. So now I have skip fwd and skip back on the touchscreen as buttons but the touchscreen is kinda shitty so if it accidentally scrolls on multi presses you're pressing the wrong buttons.

Honestly if I didn't have to use RF I'd use the 650 through the house. Never give up your physical keys haha. I'm not looking forward to my 900s eventually dying. They're looking really rough right now and starting to exhibit some issues with buttons now. There's a reason they still sell on eBay for $600, it's that good.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Skateboard

sorry brand
    Last edited by G; 02-29-2016 at 03:24 PM.

My Ride
    12 audi a5

I'm using roomie remote an ios app as my universal remote.
    I've attached it with an itach IR - ip controller to send the ir signals through out the house.
    They have wifi modules now as well so you don't need the whole house pre wired with ethernet.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I use a Harmony 350. I think it's fairly basic compared to what else they offer but it's worked flawlessly on the Xbox one, Panasonic plasma and Sony BP.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I'm also using a Harmony One. I'm gonna be so broken hearted when it finally breaks cause all the current ones just don't seem anywhere near as good.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just a bump for anyone still looking for a remote. The Harmony Ultimate is going on sale tomorrow at MemEx for their daily deal. usual price is 300 but i imagine it will be down near 160 based on previous sales. This is the less ergonomic one but has all the same functionality.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.