Quantcast
Moving telepost, anyone done it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Moving telepost, anyone done it?

My Ride
    '13 MazdaSpeed 3, Zoom Zoom!

Default Moving telepost, anyone done it?

For som reason previous owner put interior wall about 10" from Telepost. So now it's sitting g in soon to be bathroom.

I'd like to remove this post, and replace with another that will be inside 2x4 wall. New post would be about 8" from existing post, under same beam.

Most concern I have is how to brace beam while I move post. Also old post us into slab, can new post set atop slab?

Anyone moved one of these?
    My Karma ran over your Dogma

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 03:17 PM.

My Ride
    MDX

As well the post may be directly under another load bearing point of the floor above. Moving it could compromise the structure above.

My Ride
    Trucks

Move the wall, likely much easier.

My Ride
    Honda S2000

I have done it for a kitchen reno, and it was huge work.

You need a city permit (and since it is structural, you will need house blueprints and an signed engineering design).

When I did the job, the telepost needed a 24 inch square by 12 inch deep pad for support. The post had to be in the middle of the pad, and the pad needed to be cured for 30 days before I was allowed to place any load on it.
    The best part of life isn't around the corner. It IS the corner.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

You'll definitely need to talk to a structural engineer. I've done a few residential clear spans, which is similar to what you are doing. Guy had a post in the middle of his basement, but wanted a room with no posts. We ended up going back to back with steel channels around the beam, drilling thru, and bolting, the channels together, sandwiching the wood beam between. We then placed the telepost supporting the channel, at the edge of the room. The other end of the channel (approx 20' span) was resting on the edge of the foundation. This was of course, all engineered and cleared with permits.

Thats interesting, i was not aware that they had thicker concrete at telepost areas. Learn something new every day!

i THINK our engineer may be able to help you out.

[email protected]. His name is Henry Dreidger. Hes our retained engineer. I dont know if you'll get a deal because of me, but tell him Evan with Carsteel sent you (=
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 02-28-2016 at 08:58 AM.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Originally posted by Darell_n
    Move the wall, likely much easier.
    Yup, easiest and most cost effective.

Lots of things to consider here.

1) The telepost sits atop of a slap, which the basement floor gets poured on top of, its a footing to stop the weight being supported by the telepost from cracking and breaking through. So to move the post 8" or so, you are going to have to break through the concrete and pour a new footing, then repair the floor. and you have to brace the beam while doing this.

2) the placement of the teleposts are very specific, because they are designed to bear the load of the weight above them. On the main floor, there is likely a load bearing wall right above it. So if you move the support out from under it, you risk sagging, or worse, a catastrophic failure.

3) if you still want to move it, you are going to require an engineer check it over. More than likely will require additional bracing to the beam, or a replacement of the beam all together. The engineer may tell you that you will have to put a steel beam in, big $$$.

4) any of that work is going to require a permit.

All of that is a LOT of work and a LOT of money. would be easier to make a room a little smaller and move the non-structural wall to hide the telepost.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Trucks

If it's a interior wall with no electrical or plumbing, it's like a 4hr job to rip it out and re-install, minus cleanup and mudding/taping/painting. Very basic job for a home-owner compared to the alternative.

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    You'll definitely need to talk to a structural engineer. I've done a few residential clear spans, which is similar to what you are doing. Guy had a post in the middle of his basement, but wanted a room with no posts. We ended up going back to back with steel channels around the beam, drilling thru, and bolting, the channels together, sandwiching the wood beam between. We then placed the telepost supporting the channel, at the edge of the room. The other end of the channel (approx 20' span) was resting on the edge of the foundation. This was of course, all engineered and cleared with permits.

Thats interesting, i was not aware that they had thicker concrete at telepost areas. Learn something new every day!

i THINK our engineer may be able to help you out.

[email protected]. His name is Henry Dreidger. Hes our retained engineer. I dont know if you'll get a deal because of me, but tell him Evan with Carsteel sent you (=

One of those was my that you helped with.

I was developing my basement and had a post in the middle of the room which I wanted to take out. I had an engineering company come and take a look at it and what they recommended was what sr20s14zenki described; c-channels bolted to the outside of the existing beam. At one end they were resting on another piece of channel which was bolted to the concrete wall, at the other they rested on their own post. Once they were up it was just a matter of cutting out the existing post. I think I still have some pictures kicking around of what I did if you'd like to see.

You'll need an engineer to come come out and make sure your beam is ok with the extra span, you may need to beef it up.

My Ride
    fairlady tt

My parents back in the day had a steel beam put in placed of the overhead beam in our old house when we where kids. It was quite the production as they needed to make the basement window bigger to get the beam in.