Quantcast
Anyone get their Private Pilot License? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Anyone get their Private Pilot License?

Default Anyone get their Private Pilot License?

I'm thinking about going after it, seems like a fun way to spend some time this summer and could be useful down the road.

From what I can tell... the main two clubs in Calgary are the Calgary Flying Club and Calgary Flight Training Center.

The Calgary Flying Club seems more low-key and affordable. In their rates page they say a Private Pilot License costs roughly $10k to obtain, which seems pretty reasonable for a total of 65hrs of instruction.

Anyone else have any experience with this and can share some advice?

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Default Re: Anyone get their Private Pilot License?

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    I'm thinking about going after it, seems like a fun way to spend some time this summer and could be useful down the road.

From what I can tell... the main two clubs in Calgary are the Calgary Flying Club and Calgary Flight Training Center.

The Calgary Flying Club seems more low-key and affordable. In their rates page they say a Private Pilot License costs roughly $10k to obtain, which seems pretty reasonable for a total of 65hrs of instruction.

Anyone else have any experience with this and can share some advice?
    I have been recently considering this and the costs are about the same anywhere you go (10k +/-). No experiences with the flying schools in Calgary though.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Springbank air training college is probably the best bet. I did my CPL/Multi/IFR there waaaaaay back in the day. The flying club is way too "fruity" if you're serious about flying.

Budget about $20,000 for a PPL. They will quote you the absolute minimum of course so it doesn't seem so daunting. By the time I had my multi-IFR and a measly 250 hours I had spent about $65,000.

I did my ppl at The Calgary flying club about 12 years ago. Back then it was a good school, easy to get bookings good instructors etc. I would budget at least 1.5 times the minimum they quote (I was a flight instructor from 2005-2007) Also you might be hard pressed to finish your PPL in one summer unless you are out there multiple times per week. If you only fly once a week it will cost you more overall and take upwards of a year. Also you mention that a ppl might be useful down the road. Keep in mind that you can really only use a ppl for personal use i.e. Sight seeing, personal travel (not super practical and not cost effective) etc. You can take passengers but can not charge them but only share costs.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

yeah, when I did mine, i spent close to 10K and I got my pilot permit, which is about 3/4s of the way to getting your PPL.

I did mine through Southern Aero Aviation at Springbank, and then switched to the CFC. The CFC was a lot more professional than Southern Aero, but I didn't seem to click with them. but this was also 19-20 years ago.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Just remembering ground school - Meteorology is where many noobs (like myself) tend to run into problems. So many definitions, formulas etc, although we are past "whizzing the wheel around" now I think (there is an app for that).

The Calgary Flying Club(CFC) can get real busy. It's buzzing on weekends. But with that being said, if you are just getting your PPL for fun, you will probably join the CFC once you get licensed anyways. They organize a lot of sorties/events so there's lots of opportunity to go on group trips across North America with other members.

As for the training side, Springbank Air Training College (SATC) has a newer, more modern fleet of fuel injected 172s. So no matter which one you may be flying that day, they will be similar to each other. As for the CFC they a huge fleet of older 172's varying in different "generations" and one newer 172XP(at least I think they still do, C-GMTF?) And a couple 152s for cheaper cost time building. Each one has it's unique own character and are slightly different than one another, you are never guaranteed to be flying the same one every time you go out due to scheduling availability(aka. the nicer ones get booked up first). But in the end I believe this makes you a better pilot.

CFC - Big fleet. Located right off a main taxi-way. Reduces Taxi time to and from Runways. *Remember you are being charged money the second the engine fires up regardless if you're in the air or on the ground.

SATC - Newer fuel injected aircraft = slightly faster cruise performance to and from the practice areas. Comfy seats, new avionics packages that are similar between aircraft.

So take your pick

The CFC also has a Citabria now I believe? If you want to try some aerobatics after you're licensed. And a 172XP on floats if you want to get your seaplane rating, although I suggest take a week off in the summer and going to Air-Hart in Kelowna for that.

Oh and buy your own headset! You don't want to use a lender that someone and their kids have vomited on a hundred times in it's lifespan.
    Last edited by Cooked Rice; 03-01-2016 at 10:12 PM.

Originally posted by Cooked Rice

and one newer 172XP(at least I think they still do, C-GMTF?)
    FMTF is a 172S but they do have the 172XP.

The CFC also has a Citabria now I believe? If you want to try some aerobatics after you're licensed. And a 172XP on floats if you want to get your seaplane rating, although I suggest take a week off in the summer and going to Air-Hart in Kelowna for that.

I would love to do aerobatics, not sure if I have the stomach for it though. I got sick enough thermaling in the Rockies embarrassingly enough, I guess you get used to it. Would love to get the float rating though.

Oh and buy your own headset! You don't want to use a lender that someone and their kids have vomited on a hundred times in it's lifespan.
    Good advice, plus they are garbage headsets. I could barely hear anything during my first two lessons so I went out and got the Lightspeed Zulu 2 which I like. The Bose A20 is also popular if you're looking for headsets. Check kijji if your budget is lower. I scored a $400 pair of David Clark's for only $100 as my backup/passenger headset. Plus you can get kits to upgrade them to ANR!

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I picked up a Zulu PFX about 9 months ago from pilot supply, on sale for $1050 OTD with a spare mic muff. Have about 500 hours on it so far in various turboprops and I can't say enough good things about it! Even in the King Air where you're sitting behind the props it's silent as can be, and the bass of your tunes just POUNDS. It's like subs for your head. Battery life can be a bit of a downside but I always carry spares so no big deal.

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 12:31 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    If you're just doing it for fun....it's going to be pretty discouraging when you book a plane for 4 hours around Southern Alberta and you spend the same amount of money as 1 week all-inclusive at a resort in Mexico including airfare.
    Exactly right. You really have to love it because it is never going to be economical. Personally I haven't flown a light aircraft in almost 10 years. Too slow, too expensive.. But some guys love it. I'd look into doing an intro/discovery flight which is a quick 30 minute flight during which they will let you take the controls etc to see if you like it before you invest a ton of money into it. All the schools offer them and they are usually only around $70.

Mount Royal University also has a hangar and fleet out at spring bank right next to the Calgary flying club. They (used to at least) also offer private pilot training and are not super busy in the summer months as all the regular students are between semesters.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by jonsey737
    ~
    Nice to see you're still around here Cam, how about another sim field trip... jk

As for the CFC they a huge fleet of older 172's varying in different "generations" and one newer 172XP(at least I think they still do, C-GMTF?)

*Remember you are being charged money the second the engine fires up regardless if you're in the air or on the ground.
    FMTF was an SP, also that engine is fuel injected (IO-360) vs the more common O-320 carbed on the majority of older 172s. They also have a Cirrus I think. I haven't been in that hangar forever.

They got rid of all their DA-20s iirc, also change in management and maintenance dept recently (within the past 1-2 years) for the better.

Exactly as said, once the engine starts you're on the clock, they charge as per Hobbs meter reading.

My Ride

What about just a rec license? If flying purely for fun, it used to be a lot cheaper

Originally posted by revelations
    What about just a rec license? If flying purely for fun, it used to be a lot cheaper
    The recreational permit is pretty useless IMO. It will cost you nearly the same as a PPL for most in the end and comes with many caveats (one passenger only, daytime VFR, no entry to the U.S., no high performance aircraft).

The Calgary Flying Club(CFC) can get real busy. It's buzzing on weekends. But with that being said, if you are just getting your PPL for fun, you will probably join the CFC once you get licensed anyways. They organize a lot of sorties/events so there's lots of opportunity to go on group trips across North America with other members.

As for the training side, Springbank Air Training College (SATC) has a newer, more modern fleet of fuel injected 172s. So no matter which one you may be flying that day, they will be similar to each other. As for the CFC they a huge fleet of older 172's varying in different "generations" and one newer 172XP(at least I think they still do, C-GMTF?) And a couple 152s for cheaper cost time building. Each one has it's unique own character and are slightly different than one another, you are never guaranteed to be flying the same one every time you go out due to scheduling availability(aka. the nicer ones get booked up first). But in the end I believe this makes you a better pilot.

CFC - Big fleet. Located right off a main taxi-way. Reduces Taxi time to and from Runways. *Remember you are being charged money the second the engine fires up regardless if you're in the air or on the ground.

SATC - Newer fuel injected aircraft = slightly faster cruise performance to and from the practice areas. Comfy seats, new avionics packages that are similar between aircraft.

So take your pick

CFC does indeed have a Citabria now (C-GIBB). It is a 1999 7ECA formerly belonging to the Namao Flying Club. Fun airplane and a great platform to learn aerobatics on as you must be precise with energy management to have any success. I previously had a share in a 1995 Super D and it's a rocket ship compared to the 7ECA.

My Ride

Originally posted by LUV2REV

The recreational permit is pretty useless IMO. It will cost you nearly the same as a PPL for most in the end and comes with many caveats (one passenger only, daytime VFR, no entry to the U.S., no high performance aircraft).
    Wow, it used to cost a lot less years ago. 60% if I recall of a standard PPL.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by Rat Fink
    If you're just doing it for fun....it's going to be pretty discouraging when you book a plane for 4 hours around Southern Alberta and you spend the same amount of money as 1 week all-inclusive at a resort in Mexico including airfare.
    Originally posted by Lanks
    Exactly right. You really have to love it because it is never going to be economical. Personally I haven't flown a light aircraft in almost 10 years. Too slow, too expensive.. But some guys love it. I'd look into doing an intro/discovery flight which is a quick 30 minute flight during which they will let you take the controls etc to see if you like it before you invest a ton of money into it. All the schools offer them and they are usually only around $70.
    That's exactly what is discouraging me from doing it myself. I love flying, always have.

The problem is, virtually no one among my friends/family does too. To drop a minimum of $10K (maybe 15 or 20, from what you guys are saying) on a PPL that I may not use all that much is a tough pill to swallow.

And I haven't done the intro flight yet, even though I want to, just to experience it. The reason is, because I know that as soon as I do it, I'll be hooked, and I'll want to immediately start lessons that I probably can't afford.

Sigh.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

I would highly suggest, to anyone even considering attempting to get their PPL, go do the flight medical ASAP. It would suck to spend a bunch of money and then realize there is one small medical thing that is holding you back from ever obtaining your license. Otherwise I thought the Calgary Flying Club was decent, their instructors seem a bit uppity and full of themselves but maybe that's just the general attitude Pilots have. Certainly a fun but expensive hobby to have.
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Q: How can you tell if anyone in the room is a pilot?
    A: Don't worry, he'll tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride

Originally posted by dino_martini
    I would highly suggest, to anyone even considering attempting to get their PPL, go do the flight medical ASAP. It would suck to spend a bunch of money and then realize there is one small medical thing that is holding you back from ever obtaining your license. Otherwise I thought the Calgary Flying Club was decent, their instructors seem a bit uppity and full of themselves but maybe that's just the general attitude Pilots have. Certainly a fun but expensive hobby to have.
    I would say that many career-oriented pilots think they're shit hot (privately or publicly), but the ones who fly mostly for fun generally are pretty chill.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-21-2016 at 08:24 PM.