Quantcast
The Official 2016 Calgary International Autoshow thread - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Official 2016 Calgary International Autoshow thread

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Out of all the cars I checked out I found the CTS, V60 Polestar wagon, Miata and the Jaguar XE(I had no idea they sold a Turbo diesel version here) to be the most interesting to me, maybe because they're all different than what I'm usually checking out at the car show.

Tried to convince my near-retirement father to get a Fiesta ST now that he has no need for a large family oriented vehicle, also so I can borrow it on the weekends

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Cos
    I think it was TwinCamTurbo who said it looks like the rear end of the M2 is eating the front bumper of a Porsche. What is seen cannot be unseen.
    Haha yes that was me. To me it looks like it's trying to squeeze out a 911 rearward first.

I'm dreaming of one. If I'm careful with my money, maybe in a year or two I can afford one.

Went there from open-close on the weekend, looked at pretty well everything in detail. Some random thoughts:

Volvo XC90 impressed me, and had probably the best sound system at the show that I was able to try out anyway (B&W). No doubt it's going to be successful again. Loved the Polestar as well.

Pacifica looks pretty good for a van but that price

A Chrysler 200C with V6 and AWD is $40K lol

The new Ford Edge had a surprisingly decent interior but I wasn't seeing over $50K in value. Wanted to check out the 2017 Fusion as well but it was locked. AWD and the TT V6 is a nice combo in the segment.

The Ford F150 Platinum ($72,000) had one of the worst interiors at the entire show - I could almost fit my finger in some gaps, compartments felt like they would break when opened or closed, etc. No wonder they throw those enormous discounts around. I guess it's all about towing capacity and things like that.

Lexus GSF was nice but I thought $95K was a bit too much. Doors felt like they were right off a Camry, super cheap and rattled when you closed them (same on the RX350). Loved the RCF in person, I'm starting to see a lot of them on the roads as well.

MB fixed the C-class door, you can no longer push the wooden trim into the door about a half inch with minimal effort. Didn't like the vertical-push buttons on the center stack either but one of my favorite cars at the show I think overall.

New A4 has a better interior than last version, it looks plain on the outside though - needs the S/RS treatment pretty bad.

The R8 was OK but it was overshadowed by the NSX and Huracan's next door IMHO. It also created a huge blob of traffic right at the entrance to the second building haha.

Q7 is overpriced at $100K with a V6 IMHO. I think you can get the TTV8 in a similarly priced X5 or MLC.

Cadillac still hasn't improved the interior on the ATS, and it still has that god awful Fisher Price piano black center stack. CTS is put together much better IMO but I can't get over how bad it looks from the outside (to me).

The CT6 at the show was over $100K - seemed overpriced. Looks a lot better than the XTS though. Probably a good deal 2-3 years from now when it takes a ~50% hit. Lots of kids loving the Blose audio and washed out screens though.

Hyundai Genesis was shockingly nice. Seemed put together as nice as any of the Germans. Lots of car for the dollar. Probably a hell of a deal on the used market as well because so many people are still afraid of Hyundai's.

Was not impressed by the Elantra - I had it in my head they were nicer. Only motor option is an under-powered 147HP 2.0L and the interior was quite poor. Top end model was $30K. Going to be a hard sell over the 1.5T Civic I think.

New Civic was decent but the steering wheel controls were some of the cheapest garbage I have ever seen on a vehicle. I bet that is something they revise for MY2018. Curious how that 1.5T feels though, obviously it's going to sell incredibly well being a Honda.

Still can't believe how much room is in the Fit and HRV haha. And they comfortably seat 4 adults. Just need that 1.5T in the Fit, hopefully next year.

BMW has improved their interiors a good amount from previous years, they got pretty damn lazy 2-3 years back.

The Jaguar F-Type doors felt like they were going to fall apart when I closed them, reminded me of a Corvette. I don't think that would turn off many buyers though, given the segment.

The Golf R was probably the most attractive reasonably priced car at the show to me. I wish they would have done the rear seating area nicer though, they ditched the soft touch door sills for cheap feeling plastic.

Probably more that I'm forgetting, just my opinions from this year. Tons of nice stuff despite minor complaints, I wish I was shopping for a new car right now.

My Ride
    Silverado

Did anyone else notice the tear in the leather seat in the F150 King Ranch? It looked like it was 1/16" thick bonded leather and shit quality.

I thought the king ranch benefit was the use of full or top grain leather?

Edit. Looking online it appears that they switched to bonded leather based on the perforations in the seats. what a useless trim package now..
    Last edited by dirtsniffer; 03-14-2016 at 11:42 AM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Haha yes that was me. To me it looks like it's trying to squeeze out a 911 rearward first.

I'm dreaming of one. If I'm careful with my money, maybe in a year or two I can afford one.
    I was told all the M2 allocation has been sold.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Edit. Looking online it appears that they switched to bonded leather based on the perforations in the seats. what a useless trim package now..
    Not a leather expert, but perforated seats indicate to me it has the air conditioned seats, not necessarily bonded leather.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 04:30 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

The original King Ranch leather was actual saddle leather, now it's just the same cheap leather as the other trim packages, just with a different dye job.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

Not a leather expert, but perforated seats indicate to me it has the air conditioned seats, not necessarily bonded leather.
    It would be really difficult to perforate full or top grain leathers in a pattern like that.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    The original King Ranch leather was actual saddle leather, now it's just the same cheap leather as the other trim packages, just with a different dye job.
    Ford cheaping out? You don't say...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by heavyD

I was told all the M2 allocation has been sold.
    For 2016 maybe.

Its a regular production model. They are making as many as they can sell.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by killramos

For 2016 maybe.

Its a regular production model. They are making as many as they can sell.
    We were told there were plenty of allocations for 2016 but who knows *shrug*

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    We went on Friday afternoon. My favorite car in terms of appearance was the NSX by far. Such a striking car in person from the wheels to the blue paint.
    Love the looks, love the colour. At ~$200k or whatever it is though there sure were a lot of issues with the paint.

My Ride
    G37X

Also agree on the new Genesis coupe. The shifter felt much nicer and the stock seats were well bolstered. It looks like Hyundai have addressed some of the issues with the earlier GC.

My Ride
    G37X

If Hyundai can get the reliability down, the Genesis line will do great. Both my Genesis sedan and coupe were great cars with great features, and they were both lemony hunks of shit. Great cars when everything worked though.

My Ride
    DA6, R59

I spent days there and I can't get over the fact the NSX was 250k just imagine pulling up to a meet with your friends who have Ferrari's, Mclarens and Lamborghini's in a Honda?

Originally posted by jdmXSI
    I spent days there and I can't get over the fact the NSX was 250k just imagine pulling up to a meet with your friends who have Ferrari's, Mclarens and Lamborghini's in a Honda?
    C'mon, don't you know IT'S NOT A HONDA.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by jdmXSI
    I agree...I was a little sticker shocked. I was expected around 160-180 ish.

- +1 to the user who mentioned the Lexus GSF and Volvo XC90. I found both of those cars to be leading examples in great interiors for under $100k.
    - It was disappointing that the GT350 was locked.
    - The Miata looks like a blast.
    - I really dug the dark purple Viper and the red Hellcat Challenger.
    - Porsche dropped the ball by not bringing a 918.
    - The Q60 looks great.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I agree that the grey Miata looked nice but I couldn't get past the plain black rotary HVAC dials that look like they came out of an old Mazda 2 in a $40k+ car.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 LastLast