Quantcast
Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review - Page 11 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds about right to me. I just got my US-16-150W wired in, pretty awesome machine but VERY large ( its as if i didn't predict how big a 1U switch would be or something... ). Cool thing with it you get the network topography map when you use all unifi products which is sweet.

I don't run a Cloud Key, just running the controller on my iMac. If you have an always on PC then i wouldn't bother with it.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Grimace

I have been accumulating switches over the years otherwise I would go for the 16 port. Just need a few POE I think (didn't notice until now this one is only 4 ports) for the cloud key and APs. I suppose my mining computer is on all the time but boy that linux, I really struggle with

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    So I need to order my stuff.....
    I believe this is all I need:
    Security Gateway
    Unifi US-8-60W Managed 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch
    UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
    Probably get another AC-Pro and a Cloud key later in the year.
    Sounds good to me. I went with the EdgeRouter PoE and a UAP AC Pro. I chose the ER-POE over the USG for a couple of reasons:

- Less cost, no need to buy a PoE switch (although the AP comes with an injector)
    - Wanted to learn/tinker with EdgeOS, versus being 'restricted' to the UniFi interface

You can't go wrong with either setup though...if I had to do it again, I would probably go full UniFi, just cause I like the UniFi interface better, plus all the devices are managed in one place. But I don't mind having the two separate interfaces. Ubiquiti is also working on their new UNMS interface to bring EdgeMAX devices into the same sort of UI.

I went with a single AP as well, and decided to get a second if I needed it. I put the AP underneath a kitchen counter, basically in the center of the house. Even though it's mounted on the wall (they say ceiling mounts give far better signal and range), we get great coverage and speed throughout the entire house. I don't think I even need to get a second AP! It blows any of the consumer grade shit out of the water!

I personally have a server in the basement, so I spun up an Ubuntu VM for the UniFi Controller. If you have something to run a VM on, or even a Raspberry Pi, you don't need the Cloud Key IMO.

By the way, if you go the VM route, I'd recommend not running the controller on Windows. I upgraded my controller (5.4 to 5.5) and AP firmware two weeks ago, and Windows Firewall caused some minor issues with the controller, even with the firewall rules set up correctly. I found other people posting on the UBNT forums with the same issue, so I moved it to Ubuntu, and all is well now, haha.

By the way, if it was me, I'd get a rackmount switch.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Sounds like a great setup! and that UNMS looks beastly once they roll it out mainstream.

One thing I am loving about the unifi stuff is the uptime it allows me while I tinker, any time I fucked with my Asus. 5 minutes downtime, which may sound OK for a home installation but you try to explain to the wife why you chose to shut down the internet while she was watching netflix .

On unifi my connection stays online even during FW upgrades somehow.

USG also seems to be playing more nicely with the POS Shaw Hitron than the Asus did. Have had full uptime since install.

I am jealous of you guys with your Rack's. Expensive ass shit... I screwed all of my stuff to the wall haha

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

Ordered the router and the cloud key so far. I think I am going to end up getting the 16 port 1u switch though just so I don't have a mess of switches. Should probably getting my ethernet wiring done at home here pretty quick as I would look pretty dumb having all this crammed into my desk shelving.

I've had all my stuff for over a week now but haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Reading the thread more has me wondering about the Cloud Key. What exactly is it and do I need one?

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    I've had all my stuff for over a week now but haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Reading the thread more has me wondering about the Cloud Key. What exactly is it and do I need one?
    I believe it is just a computer like say a Rpi or compute stick that runs the controller so you don't have to have it installed on a computer itself. Powered by POE otherwise I believe it takes microusb.
    I got it on sale at newegg:
    https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...-100-_-Product
    Also $25 off $200 if you pay using paypal and use the code PAYPAL2017
    Since I am cheap I had been looking to buy the stuff through BH, but though they are way cheaper...doesn't ship to Canada.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea it's basically a tiny server that runs a dedicated instance of the controller software for you.

Probably pays for itself in power usage in the first year alone.

BTW Amazon.ca carries unifi and has been fairly competitive on pricing in my experience.

fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yea it's basically a tiny server that runs a dedicated instance of the controller software for you.

Probably pays for itself in power usage in the first year alone.

BTW Amazon.ca carries unifi and has been fairly competitive on pricing in my experience.
    For most of the ubiquiti stuff I noticed that they are not sold by 'amazon' and have heard that there is the possibility of counterfit items so that is why I went with newegg for now and will probably get the rest at memx.

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to order one of those. I thought I could just set the network up and only have the controller running when I wanted to make changes or monitor things.

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to order one of those. I thought I could just set the network up and only have the controller running when I wanted to make changes or monitor things.
    You do not need the controller running for the network to function.

Another local place you can pick up this stuff is Norelco Safecam. Its on 11st SE down the road from Trail Appliances.
    ---

After reading this thread, it makes me wanna upgrade the wifi situation at home.

Just have a few questions:
    - For those running a single AP, how big is your house? I know each house is different, very case-dependent blah blah. Just a ballpark haha. I'm thinking I should try one AP for now, it'll be on the main floor for coverage on the main and upper floors.
    - If I were to use an RPi2 to run the controller, how often does it need to be "on" or running to ensure everything is relatively stable.
    - I have a TP-Link AC1200, as a networking noob, how easy is it to turn this thing into a switch (if it can be done at all), and how reliable would it be if I were able to use it as one?

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Quote Originally Posted by jltabot View Post
    After reading this thread, it makes me wanna upgrade the wifi situation at home.

Just have a few questions:
    - For those running a single AP, how big is your house? I know each house is different, very case-dependent blah blah. Just a ballpark haha. I'm thinking I should try one AP for now, it'll be on the main floor for coverage on the main and upper floors.
    - If I were to use an RPi2 to run the controller, how often does it need to be "on" or running to ensure everything is relatively stable.
    - I have a TP-Link AC1200, as a networking noob, how easy is it to turn this thing into a switch (if it can be done at all), and how reliable would it be if I were able to use it as one?
    1) If your house is in the 2500~3000 sq ft neighbourhood, you can get away with one AP, as long as it's centrally located. That's what I've done, and although it gives a strong signal in all the high traffic areas, those areas are basically in the central areas of each floor. My bedroom, for example, is directly above the kitchen, where the AP is. The rec/media room in the basement is directly below the AP, so it has a strong signal there as well. And of course, the kitchen, living room, etc are all close by the AP so there's no issues with range. Keep in mind, I have the AC Pro as well.

But in the outlying corners of the house (far bedrooms, etc), the signal drops pretty quickly. For us, it's not a problem, as the wifi is not heavily used (if at all) in those areas. So a weaker 2.4GHz signal is good enough for mobile devices at night, that are just sitting on a nightstand being charged. The good thing about UniFi is, it's completely scalable...if you have gaps in coverage, you simply add another AP, and it will automatically adopt all of your network settings.

It blows my old Asus out of the water though...the old router was in the basement next to the modem, so it's not a 100% fair comparison, but even in the basement, the signal was not always the best. The Ubiquiti has been amazing from day 1, and I no longer get any complaints about the wifi dropping or being slow.

Just recently, UBNT put out a firmware update to allow MAC whitelisting (not sure why this wasn't a feature before), so now I've got our main network secured, and an isolated guest network for guests, with a 25 Mbps download limit, and guests can't access anything on the internal network.

I wallmounted my AP, and everything I've read on Reddit and the Ubiquiti forums says to mount it on a ceiling (i.e. horizontally) whenever possible, because you'll get much better range. I had no ethernet lines accessible to mount on the ceiling...for simplicity's sake, I put the AP on the wall under one of our counters, and just plugged it into the RJ45 jack directly below.

My personal recommendation would be to start with one AP, and see what your performance is like...you can always expand later. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions, or if you want me to look at a floorplan or something.

I started off with one AP, thinking that I would add a second one if it wasn't enough coverage. The single AP, as I said, does not cover 100% of the house, but it covers all of the common areas, and any areas that guests would be in, so it's good enough. I simply haven't seen the need to get a second AP!

2) You don't need the controller running in order for the network to operate. The controller is only needed if you plan to use the guest portal (Source: UBNT Help Article)

I personally have a server on 24/7 that runs other things, so I simply spun up a virtual machine to operate the controller. If you don't need to do anything fancy like that, you can simply install the controller on your desktop/laptop and call it a day. The only other reason for having the controller run 24/7 on a VM or Pi would be if you wanted to use the UniFi mobile app (or even just the web interface) to monitor and manage your network at any time.

3) No experience with your specific model, but most modern routers allow you to disable the wireless, DHCP, etc, and, some (like Asus routers) have different modes to do those things automatically. It would be fairly stable, but it wouldn't have any features you would find in an enterprise "managed" switch, such as VLAN's. But if you're not a networking expert, you don't need such features anyway.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Stealth22; 08-17-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Super helpful! Thanks!

If and/or when i pull the trigger on this, i'll update. probably start with one AP as mentioned earlier and expand from there. Our house is older and isn't wired for Cat5 or anything, so the AP will basically be connected not far from the router. Good thing the office is on the mainfloor (sorta central), so if I can ceiling mount it around there, I might have some better overall coverage. Thanks again for the input.

My Ride
    Grimace

Done ordering my stuff. Should be here next week. I had a budget of $500........went a tad overboard
    1 x Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
    1 x Ubiquiti Networks 16-Port UniFi Switch, Managed PoE+ Gigabit Switch with SFP, 150W
    1 x Ubiquiti Networks USG Enterprise Gateway Router with Gigabit Ethernet
    1 x Ubiquiti Networks UC-CK Unifi Controller Cloud Key

1 x Ubiquiti Networks USG Enterprise Gateway Router with Gigabit Ethernet
    Did you get everything up and running yet? How's the gateway?

I picked up a Lite AP a couple weeks ago. I haven't mounted it yet but I get pretty good coverage just placing it in my basement ceiling.

I'm going to pick up an other this weekend for my main floor since they're pretty cheap and they would then cover my house perfectly.

I have the controller running my Pi 3 and it's pretty cool so I was thinking of getting a gateway to play with as well.
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Ordered a Ubiquiti ER-POE5 for $220 and 2 AC-Lites for $110 each. Am I doing this wrong?

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by ipeefreely View Post
    Did you get everything up and running yet? How's the gateway?

I picked up a Lite AP a couple weeks ago. I haven't mounted it yet but I get pretty good coverage just placing it in my basement ceiling.

I'm going to pick up an other this weekend for my main floor since they're pretty cheap and they would then cover my house perfectly.

I have the controller running my Pi 3 and it's pretty cool so I was thinking of getting a gateway to play with as well.
    I was going to do it over the long weekend but under estimated the size of a 1u switch as I will be setting it up on my desk until I get my wiring done. Obviously way too big and the fans, when on, can get pretty loud. Wish they were larger so I could swap them out in the future but I believe they are 30 mm vs 40mm which I could replace with noctuas. I ordered a US-8-60W and am hoping it still comes this week so I can set it up this weekend. Based on my research this weekend I will be buying US-8 switches for the rest of my future drops as I had no idea you could power a switch with POE and also power the AC-Pro if you want to.

I was going to do it over the long weekend but under estimated the size of a 1u switch as I will be setting it up on my desk until I get my wiring done. Obviously way too big and the fans, when on, can get pretty loud. Wish they were larger so I could swap them out in the future but I believe they are 30 mm vs 40mm which I could replace with noctuas. I ordered a US-8-60W and am hoping it still comes this week so I can set it up this weekend. Based on my research this weekend I will be buying US-8 switches for the rest of my future drops as I had no idea you could power a switch with POE and also power the AC-Pro if you want to.
    I picked up the second AC-Lite last weekend but I didn't get around to mounting them yet.

I ordered a ER-POE5 instead of the USG Enterprise Gateway after watching this: USG vs. EdgeRouter

Those US-8 switches look pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Rural_Juror View Post
    Ordered a Ubiquiti ER-POE5 for $220 and 2 AC-Lites for $110 each. Am I doing this wrong?
    Looks the same as I'm doing... should be ok... What are your plans for the controller?
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I was told that the ERPOE5 is overkill and a waste of money. Paired it with two AC LRs and a Netgear GS308 from memex which was on sale for $20 last week. All in under $400.

Setup was frustrating until I saw a couple of YouTube videos.

The Edge X is very impressive for such a small item.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 09-07-2017 at 03:21 PM.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 ... LastLast