Quantcast
Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review - Page 47 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

What else would you need that the SE doesn't have? More PoE+ ports would be my only ask.

Dream Machine SE in stock right now on the Canada Store.

Other than integrated storage and PoE are there any major differences between the SE and the Pro?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's so annoying. I bought one from the US because I didn't know when it would be available in Canada again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cet View Post
    Other than integrated storage and PoE are there any major differences between the SE and the Pro?
    The WAN port is 2.5 Gbps instead of 1Gbps as well.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    Picked one up as I had always wanted the pro and this is hardly more money than the pro locally.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I assume if you want 1GBPS+ WAN you would use the SFP port no?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    I have a couple vacuflow outlets that seem like low hanging fruit for running cable. That’s probably where I will start for Wi-Fi AP’s.

Doesn’t help me get hard drops to the 5-6 places I will need them.
    Just cut your ethernet cable and problem solved.. for us.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by Power_Of_Rotary View Post
    Just cut your ethernet cable and problem solved.. for us.
    gettin' spicey!!!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Dream machine pro is back in stock if anyone wanted that

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    gettin' spicey!!!
    Poor little rotary getting all riled up
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Yea, coming in from the garage all the time sucks. I always connect wireless to the AP closest to the garage, since that's the first one it sees.
    Last edited by milkerssa; 05-25-2022 at 03:49 PM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Unifi Dream Wall

Last edited by HiSpec; 06-21-2022 at 09:06 AM.

My Ride
    ute

that seems like a good idea. I like my rack though.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

OK…. I need some help. And I need it explained to me like I’m your 69 year old dad who doesn’t know fuck all about shit. “Whats a WIFI?”

- Recently had Shaw out to upgrade to Fiber Gig Whatever Internet and their new wireless cable boxes.
    - Modem has been placed in the basement which means we get shit wifi upstairs now.
    - I have Cat5e or Cat6 run to all TV locations and to basically every room in the house, they all terminate in basement beside the modem.
    - Modem has 4 ports, I need a couple more so the Shaw tech recommended I purchase a Network Switch so I can hardwire each cable box and our desktop computer
    - Shaw tech also recommended an Access Point, which I can hardwire in upstairs to get better Wifi up there.

So what network switch do I need? And what Access Point(s) do I need? Tech recommended to head to Memory Express and they’d sort it out but would like to have a rough idea WTF I’m doing.

Edit: Also will the AP allow a phone connected to the wifi just randomly switch between each one as required as you move through the house? Or how does that work?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    OK…. I need some help. And I need it explained to me like I’m your 69 year old dad who doesn’t know fuck all about shit. “Whats a WIFI?”

- Recently had Shaw out to upgrade to Fiber Gig Whatever Internet and their new wireless cable boxes.
    - Modem has been placed in the basement which means we get shit wifi upstairs now.
    - I have Cat5e or Cat6 run to all TV locations and to basically every room in the house, they all terminate in basement beside the modem.
    - Modem has 4 ports, I need a couple more so the Shaw tech recommended I purchase a Network Switch so I can hardwire each cable box and our desktop computer
    - Shaw tech also recommended an Access Point, which I can hardwire in upstairs to get better Wifi up there.

So what network switch do I need? And what Access Point(s) do I need? Tech recommended to head to Memory Express and they’d sort it out but would like to have a rough idea WTF I’m doing.

Edit: Also will the AP allow a phone connected to the wifi just randomly switch between each one as required as you move through the house? Or how does that work?
    How much do you want to spend for good wifi?

Your most basic setup based on what you described :

POE Switch - $100?
    3 Unify AP Lites - $330 (when in stock)
    bunch of network cables - $50?

That'll allow you to "roam" through the house, switch access points as you walk around. Then there's router, the shaw router is garbage, so if you want rock solid internet (especially if you're heavy users) you'd want your own router, that's another $150 or so.

Or you can spend thousands like some of the gear whores in this thread haha.

Of course you'll need to learn how to set it up. I'd be happy to teach over beers (edit if you live in the north lol).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Rage is right

I went a simple as a UDM Pro and 2 flexHDs and I’m set. Didn’t require a switch as the UDM had enough ports and the FlexHD came with injectors. Total cost was $600 but I got the IDM pro in early access so it’s more expensive now.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    2023 Durango SRT 392

(Haven't posted in this place in a long time but just found this thread via Google - Cool to get some local guys opinions on this stuff)

About to revamp my home network in my new house this weekend Ive been slowly collecting ubiquiti stuff for months. Ive collected a UDM Pro, 48 Port POE Switch (This was a miracle i finally got it), Wifi6 Long Range AP, Wifi6 Mesh, Wifi6 Lite, AP In-wall HD. 3 Flex Switch minis

House is wired for ceiling AP's and has Cat6 throughout. We are on Telus Purefiber (new build) 1G, with optik TV (All boxes (3) wired) and home phone. Telus gave us the Nokia ONT an Arcadyan Diaper Genie Modem (apparently cause we still have home Phone they cant use the "wall plate one")

My main question is regarding the Optik and UDM pro - been reading that they dont work well together (even wired via ethernet) and i need to use a dumb switch or the ports directly on the back of the Arcadyan to get optik to work - is this still true? - assuming i should bridge port 1 (to the UDM) and run the Telus boxes to the other ports..... any other gotcha's I should be watching for? - i dont think we can elimimate the Arcaydan cause if the services we have
    Last edited by Wrath; 08-05-2022 at 11:24 PM.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    (Haven't posted in this place in a long time but just found this thread via Google - Cool to get some local guys opinions on this stuff)

About to revamp my home network in my new house this weekend Ive been slowly collecting ubiquiti stuff for months. Ive collected a UDM Pro, 48 Port POE Switch (This was a miracle i finally got it), Wifi6 Long Range AP, Wifi6 Mesh, Wifi6 Lite, AP In-wall HD. 3 Flex Switch minis

House is wired for ceiling AP's and has Cat6 throughout. We are on Telus Purefiber (new build) 1G, with optik TV (All boxes (3) wired) and home phone. Telus gave us the Nokia ONT an Arcadyan Diaper Genie Modem (apparently cause we still have home Phone they cant use the "wall plate one")

My main question is regarding the Optik and UDM pro - been reading that they dont work well together (even wired via ethernet) and i need to use a dumb switch or the ports directly on the back of the Arcadyan to get optik to work - is this still true? - assuming i should bridge port 1 (to the UDM) and run the Telus boxes to the other ports..... any other gotcha's I should be watching for? - i dont think we can elimimate the Arcaydan cause if the services we have
    Buy yourself an Ooma device, port your home phone over to that. Saves you a nice chunk/month and gets you off of the diaper genie requirement.
    I was provisioned the Actiontec modem/router but I removed that from my network. Plugged the SFP into my Edgerouter 4 and was able to get Optik running as well. Followed this guide, not sure if it's exactly the same for the UDM Pro.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ooma very simple and works. I have one at my house so the senior citizens I use as babysitters can call 911 when the set the house on fire.

Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 37 46 47 48 ... LastLast