Quantcast
Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review - Page 28 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review

My Ride
    ute

woah

Can anyone tell me if this is a good, solid router? Seems to be one of the top of the line (before going into these Ubiquity-level) but there is mixed info out there.
    https://www.staples.ca/products/2860...ter-rt-ac86uca

I am currently running an ASUS RT-AC66U B1, but I don't get good signal in my back yard from the middle of my house. If i buy the AC86U, planning on making it my main router and then using my old one as a Mesh AP (placed indoors as close to my back yard as possible)

Anything wrong with my thinking here? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anyone tell me if this is a good, solid router? Seems to be one of the top of the line (before going into these Ubiquity-level) but there is mixed info out there.
    https://www.staples.ca/products/2860...ter-rt-ac86uca

I am currently running an ASUS RT-AC66U B1, but I don't get good signal in my back yard from the middle of my house. If i buy the AC86U, planning on making it my main router and then using my old one as a Mesh AP (placed indoors as close to my back yard as possible)

Anything wrong with my thinking here? TIA
    It's a pretty good router. If you have an Asus router already and you want to use Ai mesh it would be a fine choice. The only thing better in the rough price range would be a Netgear X4S / R7800 / XR500 (all the same product). That doesn't help you if you want Asus mesh though.

Note that pretty much every wireless device coming out this year will have WiFi 6 (AX), and some already do have it, so you may want to look into one of those if you're buying a new router anyway. Also, they seem to perform a bit better with AC as the hardware is a bit more powerful in something like an Asus RT-AX88U but they are more expensive ($399).

This is likely the most thorough review/comparison you'll find: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...owall=&start=2

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    It's a pretty good router. If you have an Asus router already and you want to use Ai mesh it would be a fine choice. The only thing better in the rough price range would be a Netgear X4S / R7800 / XR500 (all the same product). That doesn't help you if you want Asus mesh though.

Note that pretty much every wireless device coming out this year will have WiFi 6 (AX), and some already do have it, so you may want to look into one of those if you're buying a new router anyway. Also, they seem to perform a bit better with AC as the hardware is a bit more powerful in something like an Asus RT-AX88U but they are more expensive ($399).

This is likely the most thorough review/comparison you'll find: https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...owall=&start=2
    awesome thank you, just ordered it. This is already at the top end of what i want to spend on networking gear ($180 shipped) so not really wanting to go to wifi 6 for now.

Now hopefully i can figure out a way to migrate my settings from my current Asus router on to this one as I really don't want to set up all my devices/IoT stuff again. In the past i've tried setting up new networks wih the same SSID name and passwords, but devices wouldn't connect without going through the whole connection process again. Probably some underlying security/certificate stuff that i didn't bother looking into further. Crossing my fingers that there is a way to easily migrate network with these two models since they are the same manufacturer and relatively same generation.

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    awesome thank you, just ordered it. This is already at the top end of what i want to spend on networking gear ($180 shipped) so not really wanting to go to wifi 6 for now.

Now hopefully i can figure out a way to migrate my settings from my current Asus router on to this one as I really don't want to set up all my devices/IoT stuff again. In the past i've tried setting up new networks wih the same SSID name and passwords, but devices wouldn't connect without going through the whole connection process again. Probably some underlying security/certificate stuff that i didn't bother looking into further. Crossing my fingers that there is a way to easily migrate network with these two models since they are the same manufacturer and relatively same generation.
    $180 is a good price for that router, I think you will be pleased.

I believe Asus has a feature that lets you port over settings from another router, but I did not use that so I don't have any first hand experience with it. Every time I've got a new router, just making the SSIDs and passwords identical to the prior setup has worked smoothly, but maybe I just got lucky. I could see some devices, especially smart home stuff, being a bit more temperamental.

My Ride
    Grimace

Looks like memx has more products than I remember (And actually in stock)
    UDP for $620 a few in stock around town.
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112602

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Looks like memx has more products than I remember (And actually in stock)
    UDP for $620 a few in stock around town.
    https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00112602
    It is CAD$ 515 from Unifi Store and free shipping.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Always need to make sure you shop around for unifi
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So I had a shaw outage again last night at 1am, and once again Unifi broadcast storm took out my network. I guess since I'm home all the time it's no big deal, but if I'm off traveling and the whole network goes down, that's not good.

Anyways, another problem I've been struggling with, anything connecting fresh and going for a DHCP request, the DHCP offer reply to the client randomly gets blocked by the APs. Apparently this problem is a couple years old, affecting AC-Pro and AC-Lite with firmware somewhere around 4.0.36 and newer.

https://community.ui.com/questions/D...438520f?page=1

The problem is when a device connects to an AP, sends out a DHCP request, server sees it and sends a DHCP offer back, in which case the AP's block it and the client can't get an IP. Takes about a minute or 2 of retries before it finally gets one unfiltered. If you have Unifi switches and USG, the problem is worse, and can take up to 20 mins to get an IP. It only affects the 5ghz channels, so the only known workarounds have been to disable 5ghz (LOL) or set static IPs.

Thi affects all the laptops we have at home, whenever it wakes up from a long sleep past the DHCP expiry this will happen. On MacOS it happens every time from sleep because after it wakes and connects, it wants to be proactive and renew the DHCP lease, in which case it times out on the DHCP offer packet and loses wifi. 1-2 mins later it's back online.

There's no fix for it aside from downgrading to really old (2+ year old) firmware.

There's a telltale sign in the dashboard if you have this problem. It's listed as "DHCP Timeout/Failure" in the Association failure panel.

Good times.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Shaw went out at 1:13am as I got the rogue network notification when the Shaw modem broadcasted on reboot. It’s nice knowing whose fault it is.

Might be time to get the new hardware like a nano or flex. My flex’s have been rock solid.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    So I had a shaw outage again last night at 1am, and once again Unifi broadcast storm took out my network. I guess since I'm home all the time it's no big deal, but if I'm off traveling and the whole network goes down, that's not good.

Anyways, another problem I've been struggling with, anything connecting fresh and going for a DHCP request, the DHCP offer reply to the client randomly gets blocked by the APs. Apparently this problem is a couple years old, affecting AC-Pro and AC-Lite with firmware somewhere around 4.0.36 and newer.

https://community.ui.com/questions/D...438520f?page=1

The problem is when a device connects to an AP, sends out a DHCP request, server sees it and sends a DHCP offer back, in which case the AP's block it and the client can't get an IP. Takes about a minute or 2 of retries before it finally gets one unfiltered. If you have Unifi switches and USG, the problem is worse, and can take up to 20 mins to get an IP. It only affects the 5ghz channels, so the only known workarounds have been to disable 5ghz (LOL) or set static IPs.

Thi affects all the laptops we have at home, whenever it wakes up from a long sleep past the DHCP expiry this will happen. On MacOS it happens every time from sleep because after it wakes and connects, it wants to be proactive and renew the DHCP lease, in which case it times out on the DHCP offer packet and loses wifi. 1-2 mins later it's back online.

There's no fix for it aside from downgrading to really old (2+ year old) firmware.

There's a telltale sign in the dashboard if you have this problem. It's listed as "DHCP Timeout/Failure" in the Association failure panel.

Good times.
    i have two of these, doesn't sound like its a big issue compared to some.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I have 9 of them, but haven’t noticed it in practice.

Name:  93DA75D1-64EC-4311-8C08-7D5B273AF99A.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  26.6 KB

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I have 40. More an annoyance than anything, pop upstairs to the 2nd laptop to do a more relaxed zoom call and I'm late cuz I gotta wait 2 mins to connect to internet. Static IP'd them now and seems to be fine.

Some of those threads where people use the switches as well, they're in the hundreds and 30 mins to connect. That's gotta suck.

The trick (for the switch blocking anyways) is to turn off DHCP snooping. Which brings up another problem people are seeing, as that setting on the switches isn't persistent across reboots. I'm glad I'm not on a Unifi switch or I'd be really pulling out my hair. So many people ditched Unifi for this problem.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

I wonder if it's older switches. Putting in my unifi switch hasn't seemed to have fine any harm.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My 16port POE switch has been 100% for me in 3 years, I noticed the 8 port in my office was sluggish to readopt when I migrated to the UDM but that’s the only issue I have had with my “older” unifi switches.

You only have AP’s on your network Rage? Maybe that’s why?

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    My 16port POE switch has been 100% for me in 3 years, I noticed the 8 port in my office was sluggish to readopt when I migrated to the UDM but that’s the only issue I have had with my “older” unifi switches.

You only have AP’s on your network Rage? Maybe that’s why?
    Yea, only APs. Everything is passing the DHCP offer packets, the APs just decides to randomly drop them. It's version specific, like I said, some firmware from 2 years ago started this mess. If shit's working for you, don't upgrade your firmware? haha.

It's just hilarious that DHCP is literally the backbone of IP networks, it's robust and simple, and Unifi can't get it right. That number should be 0 for all of us, and especially me with ridiculous coverage through the house. Also funny that this isn't a problem on 2.4ghz just 5ghz. That makes zero sense.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea that’s bizarre. I just let unifi keep my firmware up to most recent lol. Only been a couple times i have had to downgrade historically because of a bug.

fact.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    Yea that’s bizarre. I just let unifi keep my firmware up to most recent lol. Only been a couple times i have had to downgrade historically because of a bug.
    You only have 1 AP right? It's more prevalent the more APs you have.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea I only have 1 installed right now. But been running my setup for a few years at my old place which had 4 and didn’t have the issue.

fact.

My Ride
    95B

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    You only have 1 AP right? It's more prevalent the more APs you have.
    I have 9 DHCP Timeout/Failure Notification and I have 5 AP's.
    As others said I haven't noticed that in practice sofar.

Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18 27 28 29 38 ... LastLast