Quantcast
Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review - Page 39 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally upgraded my home wifi to something that works - managed wifi review

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by revelations View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh man, i recall there being a SPECIFIC switch/setting in the UI that will cause issues with Google services - and its ON by default. On my clients dime, I went through almost every one of the options that can affect the network and went through the OEM forums and found quirks that could affect networks. I can dig it up if you want to try it.
    If you can remember it, that'd be great, but otherwise, it's fine. I've enabled mDNS repeater via config file, disabled the reflector, disabled IGMP snooping, disabled Multicast Broadcast. I've enabled all of those as well, and none of it works consistently. Sometimes I can see 2/3 chromecasts, but none of the smart TV's, and sometimes I can see my Lenovo google home displays, but none of the chromecasts.

I have all the google/chromecast devices on IoT VLAN/wifi, the wired smart TV on the primary VLAN, and the wireless smart TV on the primary wifi/vlan.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    95B

In the last 24 hours I started to see some Anomalies on my dashboard.
    I am seeing the below two issues ,
    1) High TCP latency for Client
    2) High WiFi retries for Client
    Anyone here is seeing the same issues? From the unifi forum it looks like these were reported about a year ago but I haven't found a fix yet.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don have a fix but I am experiencing the same messages. That said I havent noticed any problems on the devices being quoted.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Still fucking with mDNS settings, but I have another issue driving me nuts. My whole network will "freeze" for 5-120 seconds. It will hit wired and wireless simultaneously. It will make webpages fail to load, if it hits while I'm browsing on my PC, IG won't load the feed if I hit it at the right time, or it'll DC me (wired), and my wife (wifi) from video games at the same time.

Nothing in the USG logs. I'd say we're hitting network limits, but I have the Shaw 1000, so I don't think I'm maxing out the pipe there.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Still fucking with mDNS settings, but I have another issue driving me nuts. My whole network will "freeze" for 5-120 seconds. It will hit wired and wireless simultaneously. It will make webpages fail to load, if it hits while I'm browsing on my PC, IG won't load the feed if I hit it at the right time, or it'll DC me (wired), and my wife (wifi) from video games at the same time.

Nothing in the USG logs. I'd say we're hitting network limits, but I have the Shaw 1000, so I don't think I'm maxing out the pipe there.
    This sounds eerily similar to the broadcast storm issue that I had. Except that I couldn't recover from it without powering down the switch. Circuit breaker haha. I couldn't even ping the gateway without dropped packets from a wired connection.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post

I had/have that problem, sorta fixed it by moving my Wyzecams onto their own VLAN/SSID.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by cyra1ax View Post
    I had/have that problem, sorta fixed it by moving my Wyzecams onto their own VLAN/SSID.
    Wyze/Eufy are on vlan 20/cam SSID. Have been for a while. Same with the Ring cam/chime.

I had to forget and readopt an AP today, after it kept disconnecting over night (still powered on, but unresponsive). Between that, disabling the mDNS repeater (json file), enabling the mDNS reflector (GUI option), enabled Multicast enhancement and disabled Fast Roaming on the IoT SSID, and enabling IGMP snooping on the IoT VLAN, it _feels_ okay. Wife isn't bitching about citrix dropping, and at lunch casting seemed to have worked to the smart TV (that's on the regular SSID, not the IoT), which is usually a gamble.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Our CEO upgraded to Unifi and he's happy with the end result, but hates the interface. Been helping him setup remotely and troubleshoot/nitpick on the finer details, of course he's on the latest controller 6 where I haven't touched my setup in ages. So here I am upgrading my house to Controller 6 (I'm still running latest controller 5) and holy shit did it ever break my shit lol. Good thing I backed up prior to upgrade.

Long story short, if you're using overrides in Controller 5, it'll completey break upgrading to 6. They removed WLAN overrides at the AP level on 5 and moved it to the new AP Groups in 6 with zero migration path aside from re-engineering your entire wireless network setup. I use overrides to have an SSID with a unique name for each AP so for IoT devices that are sketchy on mesh networks, I can connect to the specific AP that I want. This is now moved to AP groups, where now I literally have to make an AP group for each AP haha. AP Groups is weird because if I want to make changes to a network (ie 5ghz only, or password update) I can't do it globally. I have to do it within each AP group.

Lots of people are pissed off about it. Guess I'll have to learn it if I wanna support the CEO's setup remotely. FML.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    ute

I heard 6 was broken as fuck. I havent upgraded.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I heard 6 was broken as fuck. I havent upgraded.
    I don't think 6 is inherently broken, it's just that their development team does not take into account any migration paths whatsoever, regardless if it's a major or minor revision. People have been designing networks around the functionality of a specific version, and when they move things from one deprecated feature to a new feature, it doesn't work and breaks shit. For me, there was zero migration path from WLAN overrides to AP groups. Somehow it went from 4 SSID's to 6 because it detected I was doing something different, but the 2 new SSIDs made zero sense and broke everything. Same goes for people that were dealing with how VLANs were implemented.

Starting from scratch in 6 at our CEOs setup, it works perfectly fine.

I think my concern is if they can’t even do UI upgrades properly, how will new firmware interact with old controller configs? That’s probably another set of problems that gets kicked off further down the line as the version gap increases.

My Ride
    06 S2000

My setup is finally stable on 6.0.41. The one thing I wish I had, was that when I was making WLAN changes, I could do a rolling provision, rather than taking out my entire wifi for every minor change.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Looks like Ubiquity got hacked. Just got an email telling me to change my password.

2FA keeps me safe, but I guess I have to change it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Haven’t gotten anything from them. But that’s annoying.

Seems to be floating around Reddit.
    Last edited by killramos; 01-11-2021 at 01:19 PM.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Has anyone bought from Ubiquiti’s US store and shipped to a freight forwarder to get it over the border?

There is a whole bunch of new shit that US store has that I am interested in. Not to mention the stuff in the EA store.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I've used DYK Post to cross-ship other items before. It's not cheap, as they tack on premiums for brokerage to keep their "shipping" rates low. $500 US or so worth of goods was around $80-100 CAD or so, safe to assume it adds 20% or so to the cost.

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Was going through my boxes as I’m moving and noticed I have a few pieces that aren’t being used. If anyone is looking I have a USG (newest model) cloud key V2 and a 16 port powered POE switch and a flexHD. Can’t find the box for the switch but everything else is in the respective box. I’m mildly embarrassed to say I do not know why I have so many extras.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Kavy View Post
    Was going through my boxes as I’m moving and noticed I have a few pieces that aren’t being used. If anyone is looking I have a USG (newest model) cloud key V2 and a 16 port powered POE switch and a flexHD. Can’t find the box for the switch but everything else is in the respective box. I’m mildly embarrassed to say I do not know why I have so many extras.
    I was going to PM you, but I realized I'm too poor to add to the network right now.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    WK2

PM'd about switch.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Kind of a noob question. Telus is coming Friday to setup FTTH, can I just tell the installer to terminate the Fiber to SFP and just plug it into my SFP port on my Edgerouter 4? Other than making sure that the SFP port is set up as the WAN port, are there any other settings I need to mess with in the Edgerouter settings? I'm guessing I have to make sure that IGMP is on as well for Optik?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I don’t think they would do that for you unless you got a pretty cool tech. More likely they terminate it all into their own hardware, prove its working, then any rejigging you do after is at your own risk.

I mean let’s get real if you have speed issues they will wash their hands of it if you have a third party router involved let alone SFP and IGMP etc.

fact.

Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29 38 39 40 49 ... LastLast