Quantcast
Question about a deposit refund - private sale - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question about a deposit refund - private sale

Default Question about a deposit refund - private sale

What would you guys do:

I had a guy interested in one of my bikes (CBR), and all the extras that I had for it. We agreed on a price and I was going to bring it up to him in Red Deer from Medicine Hat. He gave me $100 as a good faith that he was purchasing it and I could take the ad down.

So a day before I was to leave I loaded up the bike and gathered all the extra fairings and bits and put it all on my trailer. Later that day the guy called and said he forgot to ask his wife and he has to back out of the deal as she said no. Frustrated I said fine and that was the end of it, had to off load the bike and my trailer and drive it back to my shop. Now he is saying I have to give him back the $100 as there was nothing signed about me retaining the deposit.

I know its a very small amount of money, and really I figure for the fuel back and forth to get my trailer and load everything up I was going to keep it. Obviously not trying to be a dick, but am I in the wrong?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

For 100$, just forget about it. Send him 50$ if he still bothers you after weeks.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Re: Question about a deposit refund - private sale

Originally posted by Skrilla
    Now he is saying I have to give him back the $100 as there was nothing signed about me retaining the deposit.
    There's also nothing signed saying he's given you $100 in the first place, right?
    Nor is there anything signed saying that you WOULD give it back?

He can't just ask you for money because he got his willy slapped

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Keep it.
    I like neat cars.

Last edited by know1edge; 08-16-2018 at 09:55 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Bike has lots of interest and somebody else buys it immediately? I'd refund him.

Otherwise, tell him to pound sand.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I looked in to this when a guy flaked on a car I was selling. I would have been legally right to keep the deposit, but just gave it back as $100 (or whatever it was) just wasn't worth the trouble of some flaky loser bothering me over it.

IIRC, they were a flaky newfie couple who had to go to their bank for the money for a $3000, 10+ year old car (which they never mentioned, or I would have told them to fuck off from the start). The moron at their local credit union (he called me, a real dullard) was nervous and soured them on the deal. I figured if they were broke enough to need a bank for a $3k car and dumb enough not to comprehend something as simple as getting the money BEFORE agreeing to purchase a car, it just wasn't worth fighting with them. Life has to be awful hard when even buying a used car is a complicated affair, so I figured they needed the $100 worse than I did, and that I didn't need any more brain damage from these morons. I gave them the deposit back and got them out of my life, no regrets.

Nowadays, I don't bother with deposits. You want it? Great, bring cash and you can have it. Someone else brings cash first? Tough.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

There is no obligation for you to give the money back, and he knows it. The whole purpose of the $100 was given for a reason... not for shits and giggles. Unless there was something specific mentioned about a refund policy, you have no moral or legal obligation.

I had deposits put down on two vehicles of mine where the sales fell through. In the first case, the guy didn't believe the car had been barely driven in 2 years and felt there must be odometer tampering. Fact is, I had the car parked for over a year after I acquired it, so I felt the odo was legit. I was going to give him some back, but after he threatened to take me to court and all that BS I told him to screw off.

In a second instance, I had a $500 deposit on my corvette. The guy actually bought it, but as soon as he brought it home his parents freaked out. So I agreed to take it back, but he lost his deposit. He was ok with that.

Bottom line: Do what you want to do, according to your own morals and kindness.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

I would have told them verbally as they gave me the deposit that it wasnt coming back if they flaked.

Simply put, you taking the ad down cost you POTENTIAL sales. That to me alone is worth the 100$

Thanks for the replies, glad to hear I am not the only one. If I had done nothing I would have no problem doing it. But in this instance, I feel it warranted.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 03:31 PM.

My Ride
    '16 Golf TSI

I can't figure out people who expect deposits back. I deal with this at work all the time, too.

If deposits just automatically get refunded when you back out, what is the point of the deposit exactly? So you'll hold something for them unless they change their minds?

As soon as that ad comes down, his deposit is gone, IMO. This isn't even one of those "fuck him I'm keeping it" things. It's just how it's done.

I would never demand a deposit back because of something I did/chose/caused. Obviously if you backed out or weren't truthful in the bike condition or something, he'd get it back, but if he just changes his mind, tough shit.

Of course this also depends on how hostile this guy is about it, it's not like it's worth $100 to end up on the wrong end of endless revenge. Maybe sleeping well is worth $100 to you.

Haha "forgot to ask his wife", that sounds like BS to me. The deposit is yours to keep, nothing will come of it, especially if he's not even in Calgary. What is the point of a deposit if it's refundable? Especially when it's specific purpose is to prevent you from selling it to anyone else. You don't leave a deposit in a private sale situation with the expectation of getting it back, it would defeat the entire purpose. Also he'd for sure be pissed if you sold it to someone else under his nose, but now that the shoe is on the other foot he wants his money back - seems a bit one sided. For $100 though doesn't really matter either way.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I agree that he forfeited the $100 when he canceled the deal.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Any further comments is just beating a dead horse at this point. You're right, the guy's wrong. Screw him.

My Ride
    Silverado

OP, I wouldn't respond to him. If he pesters you tell him no dice.

Tell him you were going to refund it but your wife said no. Also there was nothing signed about you refunding the deposit

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Sorry short term memory, have we met?

It's yours man

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Yep what everybody else said. Keep it.

Sorry you're such a bitch and need your wifes go ahead to buy something. Enjoy having $100 less in your pocket.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast