Quantcast
2016 JD Power U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2016 JD Power U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default 2016 JD Power U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles...continue-drive

Problems with technology continue to cause declines in owner satisfaction with long-term vehicle dependability, according to the J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability StudySM (VDS). The study shows that problems with vehicle audio, communication, entertainment, and navigation (ACEN) systems now account for 20% of all customer-reported problems. Furthermore, ACEN is now the most problematic area on most vehicles, and is the apparent cause of a 3% year-over-year decline in customer satisfaction with vehicle dependability. The problems most often reported by owners are related to Bluetooth pairing/connectivity and built-in voice-recognition systems misinterpreting commands. Difficulties with using the navigation system and inaccuracies in the navigation system are also among the 10 most frequently reported problems.

The study, now in its 27th year, examines problems experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of 2013 model-year vehicles. The number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) determines overall dependability for each model. The study covers 177 specific problem symptoms grouped into eight major vehicle categories:

Exterior
    Engine/Transmission
    Audio/Communication/Entertainment/Navigation (ACEN)
    Interior
    The Driving Experience
    Features/Controls/Displays (FCD)
    Heating/Ventilation/Air Conditioning (HVAC)
    Seats

Among the study’s key findings, perhaps most notable is that the overall industry average is 152 PP100 this year, compared with 147 PP100 in the 2015 study. Seven of the top 10 problems are design-related. Design-related problems account for 39% of problems reported in the 2016 study (60 PP100), an increase of 2 percentage points from 2015. In this year’s study, the number of engine/transmission problems decreases slightly, to 24 PP100 from 26 PP100 in 2015.

Among owners who experienced a Bluetooth pairing or connectivity problem, 53% say the vehicle didn’t find or recognize their mobile device. Among owners who indicate having experienced a voice-recognition problem, 67% say the problem was related to the phone not recognizing, or misinterpreting, voice commands.

Problems Don’t Fade Over Time
    “The increase in technology-related problems has two sources,” said Renee Stephens, vice president of U.S. automotive at J.D. Power. “Usability problems that customers reported during their first 90 days of ownership are still bothering them three years later in ever-higher numbers. At the same time, the penetration of these features has increased year over year.”

“If you think about the technology problems from the study in the context of conversations around autonomous vehicles, the industry clearly has more work to do to secure the trust of consumers,” said Stephens. “Right now, if consumers can’t rely on their vehicle to connect to their smartphone, or have faith that their navigation system will route them to their destination, they’re certainly not yet ready to trust that autonomous technology will keep their vehicle out of the ditch.”

“The decline in reliability coupled with a record number of vehicle recalls and safety-related complaints affect consumer confidence,” she concluded.

Among owners who experienced no problems with their vehicle, 55% purchased the same brand again. Conversely, only 41% of owners who experienced three or more problems with their vehicle did likewise. Furthermore, only one-third of owners who had to replace a component outside of normal wear items say they “definitely will” repurchase or lease the same brand again.

Lexus Ranks Highest among Vehicle Nameplates
    For a fifth consecutive year, Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates, with a score of 95 PP100. Porsche (97 PP100) follows Lexus in the rankings, moving up from fifth in 2015. Following Porsche in the rankings are Buick (Fuck STARS) (106 PP100), Toyota (113 PP100), and GMC (120 PP100). General Motors (GM) is the automaker with the most segment awards at eight, while Toyota earns six. GM models receiving segment awards include the Buick (Fuck STARS) Encore, Buick (Fuck STARS) LaCrosse, Buick (Fuck STARS) Verano, Chevrolet Camaro, Chevrolet Equinox, Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Silverado HD, and GMC Yukon. Toyota models receiving segment awards include the Lexus ES, Lexus GS, Lexus GX, Toyota Prius V, Toyota Sienna, and Toyota Tundra.

Others models to receive segment awards are the Fiat 500, Honda Fit, Mercedes-Benz GLK-Class, Mini Cooper, Mini Coupe/Roadster, and Nissan Murano.

Consumer Tips
    Based on the study, J.D. Power offers the following consumer tips:

When researching your new vehicle, pay special attention to the different types of technologies that are available, noting any that other owners have found problematic.
    Compare various automakers’ technologies and read reports that might indicate which ones are superior or problematic.
    Before buying—perhaps during the test drive—ask your salesperson to demonstrate any vehicle technologies you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with.

About the Study
    The 2016 U.S. Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from 33,560 original owners of 2013 model-year vehicles after 3 years of ownership. The study was fielded from October through December 2015.
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Buy Fiat Chrysler, spend lots of time at the dealership.

How did BMW get so low? All the rentals and leasebacks it keeps selling itself to prop numbers up must be getting recall and repair work done under the table

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I haven't got my survey for my Lexus yet, but I'm blown away that the most problems were infotainment, and Lexus is still the most reliable. The system in my RC-F is unusable, and the same touchpad system is installed across the board in Lexus vehicles. I pretty much have to rely on Siri to do everything now and even then the HU reboots on me if I switch playlists too much, or randomly pauses on me if I use the HU to go to the next song in which case I have to use the damn touchpad.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

Dodge and ford suck then

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

I'm surprised Honda and Acura didn't score higher.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Originally posted by rage2
    I haven't got my survey for my Lexus yet, but I'm blown away that the most problems were infotainment, and Lexus is still the most reliable. The system in my RC-F is unusable, and the same touchpad system is installed across the board in Lexus vehicles. I pretty much have to rely on Siri to do everything now and even then the HU reboots on me if I switch playlists too much, or randomly pauses on me if I use the HU to go to the next song in which case I have to use the damn touchpad.
    New Infiniti Q50 has the same issues.

Rip out Infotainment and you will have no issues.

Install an iPad.

Fuji is offline Track Events Co-ordinator
    My Ride
    cars

Originally posted by rage2

There has always been various issue with this for Lex. That's why I never went with navi etc. Still glad i never went with series 2

My Ride
    Upass

Lexus Ranks Highest among Vehicle Nameplates
    For a fifth consecutive year, Lexus ranks highest in vehicle dependability among all nameplates, with a score of 95 PP100. Porsche (97 PP100) follows Lexus in the rankings, moving up from fifth in 2015. Following Porsche in the rankings are Buick (Fuck STARS) ...... [/B]

What's a fuck star?

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Nav13

What's a fuck star?

Too funny.

I'm really impressed by GMC and Chevy.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

I haven't looked at these tests in ages but are they still not taking into account problem severity or production volume? And are they still relying on customers for the data? Those seemed to always be the major flaws.

And maybe I'm misunderstanding something but are they saying that someone not able to pair their phone to the car via bluetooth is a problem? I can't even tell you how many people I've met who just didn't know how, were too lazy to read the manual, and chalked it up to to a problem with the vehicle. I guess it would be hard to verify something like that though for the purposes of a survey.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Ford and Dodge are just playing the inverse standings for the draft picks.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by Cos

I don't see how production volume plays into this. Can you explain what you're thinking?
    Typically high volume products are going to have more problems and less quality control than low volume ones. For example maybe they only run QC checks on 1 in 10 for certain things, rather than every single one. Issue or not, they don't address it.

That isn't the biggest issue though IMHO - it's that as far as I know they don't look at problem severity and they rely on customers to report the issues, introducing all kinds of bias and inaccurate reporting. That's why I was asking if they have changed their methods, or if maybe I am misunderstanding how it's done. As far as I can tell, a seized engine and a senior citizen not knowing how to use Bluetooth are both treated equally.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

I find the differences between sub brands interesting.
    Ram and Lincoln for example score much much higher than Dodge and Ford.
    Scion and Cadillac score much lower than Toyota and GM.

The technology aspect in many cases is the user... there are some terrible setups though at the same time. I do wonder what the definition of problem is. So according to this study the average vehicle will have 1-2 problems? Wish the study was scaled more on severity of problem, rather than just problem... like bluetooth vs major problem.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 03-04-2016 at 12:49 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Originally posted by NoPulp
    I find the differences between sub brands interesting.
    Ram and Lincoln for example score much much higher than Dodge and Ford.
    Scion and Cadillac score much lower than Toyota and GM.
    I've read that this has to do with the demographics purchasing those cars, and relying on customers to report issues, but it's hard to say for sure.

Just as a very rough example, your average Buick/Lincoln owner is probably 60+, driving 5-10K/year. That kind of usage is probably going to result in fewer reported problems. Wildly popular cars like Toyota, often owned by people who don't even take care of them across every imaginable demographic are probably going to see more problems arise. Again, just a speculative example, but I think volume and demographics have something to do with it.

Introducing infotainment issues and ignoring issue severity seems to make these results mostly useless.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Originally posted by Nav13

What's a fuck star?
    LOL.

I copied that from another forum I'm on.

We have a member named 'STARS' that is ALWAYS talking about how awesome Buicks are so now when you type the word 'BUICK' it automatically puts "FUCK STARS" after it. Admin coded it that way.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11587

Holy moly.

That's a good way to torpedo your reliability ratings.

Explains why Subaru and Scion are crap.

BRZ and FR-S

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I haven't looked at these tests in ages but are they still not taking into account problem severity or production volume? And are they still relying on customers for the data? Those seemed to always be the major flaws.
    This is correct. I think I wrote an article about it. At the very least I did a radio bit about it. JD Power is worse than Consumer Reports for validity of data. At least with CR you know that they're not publishing anything blatantly false, you just might have to read between the lines and identify bias. By taking data from actual owners, JD Power is throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks.

Now, I mean, there are still going to be trends from the JD Power data but, as mentioned, they're likely going to be from factors other than actual vehicle quality.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Typically high volume products are going to have more problems and less quality control than low volume ones.
    I actually think the opposite is true. The higher the volume, the more automated the process. The more automated the process, the easier it is to check each and every step.

I think that higher volume equates to fewer one-off problems. Obviously things like recalls that affect all cars are going to be more widespread, but I think the proportion of lemons will be much lower in mass produced cars.

Your bottom line is correct though. The fact that there's no distinction between "The nav is hard to use" and "My transmission won't go into 2nd gear" makes drawing conclusions from these studies pretty much impossible. It's just speculation.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 04:24 PM.

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Bull shit that GMC and Chevy are 5th and 6th... everything they make is an unreliable piece of garbage with a rats nest of electrical and water leakage problems
    You've just described every Nissan I've ever owned (Xterra, Pathfinder, Armada, Altima, Maxima).

Never had issues with any of the 4 GMC/Chevy trucks we had (Denali, Yukon, Tahoe).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast