Quantcast
Restoring a Porsche - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Restoring a Porsche

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Default Restoring a Porsche

I'm looking for some people to talk to, or some resources to check out, about restoring a 356C. I'm not really in a hurry, but based on my searching around, finding a car/chassis could take years. So I wanted to know what kind of a commitment it would be to do this. I'd restore it to daily drive in the summers; definitely not a 100 point Concours car. So far, I've checked out some build threads on porsche356registry.org and thesamba.com but most of these guys are in the US.

Things I'm curious about:

- Where to buy a car(Kijiji, Autotrader, etc are not showing up anything)
    - Restoration shops to help with rebuilding engines/transmissions
    - Parts? I know there are some people in and around Calgary, with barns full of parts, but I have no idea who they are, or how to contact them.

I'm all ears so any input or advice is welcome.

My Ride
    '68 Beetle 2.3, '99 Golf Wolfsburg '02 Passat 1.8T

Default Porsche 356

Ken King of Calgary is knowledgeable about Porsches and his company Concept 1 is located in Calgary. They carry various Porsche parts in their website listings. Ken knows what is involved in restorations:

http://store.concept1.ca/

Here's one of his early Porsches shown in the 356 registry website from a few years ago (scroll down about 2/3):

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/...d723d&start=45
    Last edited by Neil68; 03-05-2016 at 08:58 PM.
    Neil
    '68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
    12.5-second 1/4 mile

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

I used to have the romantic notion of buying a 356 for many years. However, the recent Porsche bubble has killed that dream.

Many years ago, nobody wanted 356's and you could find nice drivers for 20k. Now, rusted out crap boxes are 50K USD.

Good luck. I hope you are able to find something fun to work on.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Thanks for the info so far guys.

Ideally I would get a rusted out driver that has a good engine and transmission in it, but I suspect that's a pipe dream. I'll give them a call on Monday, as I've seen their shop listed on a few Porsche sites as the place to go to in town.

Something like this(but not for 20K):
    1965 Porsche 356C Sunroof Coupe - $21,750
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

For around $50,000 you can get this though:
    1964 356C - $59,000
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

They are still out there.

My brother in law bought a decent 356B for well under $20k a couple of years ago from a widow.

Good luck on your search.

My Ride
    13 AUDI A4, 14 TUNDRA SR5, 12 VW GOLF TDI

So what's with this Porsche? I am no Porsche expert but the price seems

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Originally posted by muse017
    So what's with this Porsche? I am no Porsche expert but the price seems
    From my limited knowledge, there was only 1000 or so Speedsters produced, and about half of that made it to North America. It's the most sought after model and highly collectible. If you search around, you'll see of them going for 200-250k Euros. Depending on the history(Porsche buyers love their car history) it can add a lot of value if you have all the original service and paperwork.

My Ride
    '68 Beetle 2.3, '99 Golf Wolfsburg '02 Passat 1.8T

Default Porsche 356

I look through thesamba listings periodically, but there aren't many 356's available at affordable prices . As mentioned above, your best hope is to find one from a widow or family that needs to move the car quickly. Then you might find one for $20-25K:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/cat.php?id=59
    Neil
    '68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
    12.5-second 1/4 mile

Has OP considered a kit car? Truthfully if you're trying to make 356 into a decent driver, and you don't have a pretty deep bank account a kit might be a much better option.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

A kit/rep might be an option, but I want to at least explore getting an authentic one rebuilt first. Looks like I just need to keep my eyes open and act quickly if a deal comes across my path.

Have you driven one? I ask that only because they're so rare around here and most people have never seen one in person in alberta, let alone driven one.

I drove a 356SC speedster last year, and it was interesting just because of the value it was worth, but not something I would pay money for unless I was banking on it continuing to skyrocket in value.

It's a very archaic car that is not very quick and a complete death trap. Which i'm fine with, but it's also terribad handling on a terribad suspension so the fun factor is probably more in people asking you about it rather than driving it.

Odds are any one you find even in 'good' shape will likely have been hacked at some point by a butcher too, meaning it is going to be an epic project.

The one perk is porsche still may sell everything for it like a lot of german car manufacturers do (you want body panels for a 1968 bmw 'no one remembers', bmw can get them to you in 2 weeks) but if so, the price of parts are going to be crazy.

My Ride
    Cummins F10

Originally posted by Mibz
    The criteria for being a Beyond Baller is simply knowing you are one.
    Deleted F10 535d
    My hybrid burns Diesel & Oil

Originally posted by zhao
    Have you driven one? I ask that only because they're so rare around here and most people have never seen one in person in alberta, let alone driven one.

I drove a 356SC speedster last year, and it was interesting just because of the value it was worth, but not something I would pay money for unless I was banking on it continuing to skyrocket in value.

It's a very archaic car that is not very quick and a complete death trap. Which i'm fine with, but it's also terribad handling on a terribad suspension so the fun factor is probably more in people asking you about it rather than driving it.

Odds are any one you find even in 'good' shape will likely have been hacked at some point by a butcher too, meaning it is going to be an epic project.

The one perk is porsche still may sell everything for it like a lot of german car manufacturers do (you want body panels for a 1968 bmw 'no one remembers', bmw can get them to you in 2 weeks) but if so, the price of parts are going to be crazy.

Buying a 356 is not about looking for a drivers car but rather someone who wants a collectible Porsche that handles like an aircooled VW Beetle.

If you want a 356 that has good performance and handling you are better off with a reproduction/kit.

Custom car building Rob Ida built a crazy hill climbing 356A but you know that there are Porsche purists that hate the work he put into it.

https://www.facebook.com/motorhousem...0426192166544/

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I would definitely be looking to upgrade the car to handle today's roads/traffic. I've looked into stiffening up the ride 20% or so and engine rebuilds/upgrades to make it more livable. I'm not looking to be the quickest car, but enough to get to work(Glenmore). But it's good to know that the car would be tough to drive to Edmonton.

Also, there is a pretty awesome shop in Ontario that reproduces nearly every panel, so getting replacement body work shouldn't be too difficult, albeit costly:
    http://www.restoration-design.com/

http://www.alpineautowerks.com/

I think they've done a Porsche or two.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Its a very cool vintage car but if were my money I'd buy a Kharman Ghia. Both drive very similar, I actually prefer the way the Ghia drives and handles.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Intermeccanica is a Canadian coach builder with a long history. Think of them like a Ghia. They had their own designed cars in the 70's. Now they make 356's with modern drive trains

http://www.intermeccanica.com

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

I've looked at Intermeccanica before, but it's all speedsters and roadsters. I'm looking for a coupe but I may need to be flexible if I want to find a cheaper project car. It seems like this whole project involves me lucking out and finding something reasonable to restore. Otherwise, I'm better off getting a replica.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

http://bringatrailer.com/2015/12/22/...-porsche-356a/

Here is one for you...only $39,500.....USD......Around $50k CAD.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Its a very cool vintage car but if were my money I'd buy a Kharman Ghia. Both drive very similar, I actually prefer the way the Ghia drives and handles.
    Mmmmm

sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast