Quantcast
2016 Golf Thread - Page 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Golf Thread

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I got a membership to a club in Winnipeg a few months ago and just got fitted for some clubs today. I've been out once already and it's been good. I have golfed maybe 6 times in my life, and will be planning to go 2-3 times a week during the summer for at least 9 holes. While I'm not going to be good, I'm not the type to get discouraged by that, I'm also out to walk the course and get some exercise.

My Ride
    V8s

All these posts are making me realize how much I appreciate being at a private course. I've only seen a marshal once in 3 seasons at my course, and that was to apologize for a group a few ahead of us that was holding things up (ended up being a 4:25 round instead of mandated 4:00).

Originally posted by cjblair
    All these posts are making me realize how much I appreciate being at a private course. I've only seen a marshal once in 3 seasons at my course, and that was to apologize for a group a few ahead of us that was holding things up (ended up being a 4:25 round instead of mandated 4:00).
    Where do you play? I swear I have asked you but I can't seem to remember? haha.

I'd love to be a member somewhere but my GF hates golf, and I live downtown.

Makes it tough to get out enough to make it worth my while at this point. One day though.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by lasimmon

Where do you play? I swear I have asked you but I can't seem to remember? haha.

I'd love to be a member somewhere but my GF hates golf, and I live downtown.

Makes it tough to get out enough to make it worth my while at this point. One day though.
    Pinebrook. Only reason I can justify going out so much is cause my wife and I golf together 90% of the time. Another 5% of the time, she's in a different group with her mom or something, but we rarely are at the course without each other.

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    And the fact that marshalls seem to go out of thier way to harass beginners, so a lot of folks just don't enjoy themselves.

If a course could put an extra two minutes between tee times, and accept a five hour round, you'd have folks enjoying themselves.

Of course, the old boys wouldn't like that. And I guess that's less cash flow due to a reducing in tee time slots. I dunno.
    Its funny you say that, I had it out with a course marshall last year for this exact reason.

My dad and I took my mom and gf out for a round of golf during a weekday, by no means a busy day. We played a couple holes and the marshall comes up to us and says "Please maintain pace of play" (We weren't holding anyone up). By the 7th hole we FINALLY had a group behind us, so we waved them through, no issues.

The marshall came by again and quite literally yelled at us to speed up our game as we were well behind their "pace of play" at that point.

So I simply said, "I understand you are doing your job, but we chose a day that we knew you would not be busy so we can bring out a couple beginners to LEARN the game of golf and enjoy themselves without being ridiculed or rushed. In 8 holes there has been ONE group come up behind us that we simply let play through. Were you a pro the first time you swung a club?? Now if you don't mind I would like to get back to this round that I paid for."

Worked out well, he didn't bother us again.

But the point remains, golf used to be considered a game to get out and unwind from the stresses of life. But now it is all about pace of play and maximizing tee times and rushing to finish a round. I understand that from a business perspective, but from a sport perspective the greed is simply going to kill the game.

Originally posted by vengie

Its funny you say that, I had it out with a course marshall last year for this exact reason.

My dad and I took my mom and gf out for a round of golf during a weekday, by no means a busy day. We played a couple holes and the marshall comes up to us and says "Please maintain pace of play" (We weren't holding anyone up). By the 7th hole we FINALLY had a group behind us, so we waved them through, no issues.

The marshall came by again and quite literally yelled at us to speed up our game as we were well behind their "pace of play" at that point.

So I simply said, "I understand you are doing your job, but we chose a day that we knew you would not be busy so we can bring out a couple beginners to LEARN the game of golf and enjoy themselves without being ridiculed or rushed. In 8 holes there has been ONE group come up behind us that we simply let play through. Were you a pro the first time you swung a club?? Now if you don't mind I would like to get back to this round that I paid for."

Worked out well, he didn't bother us again.

But the point remains, golf used to be considered a game to get out and unwind from the stresses of life. But now it is all about pace of play and maximizing tee times and rushing to finish a round. I understand that from a business perspective, but from a sport perspective the greed is simply going to kill the game.
    Where was this? I have only played 1 course in Calgary where I have actually seen a Marshal do anything about slow play.

Seems silly though. You sound as if you were aware and waved another group through. Shouldn't be an issue.

Originally posted by lasimmon

Where was this? I have only played 1 course in Calgary where I have actually seen a Marshal do anything about slow play.

Seems silly though. You sound as if you were aware and waved another group through. Shouldn't be an issue.
    Speargrass.

Yes, we were quite aware we were going to be slow so we planned accordingly, I was constantly looking back at the tee box to ensure no one was behind us.

I chalk it up to it being a slow day and the marshall had nothing better to do.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

A lot of marshalls seem to be power tripping assholes. If there was some way to motivate them to help beginners learn the game, that would be great.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I've only experienced 2 different types of marshals

The non-existence marshal.

and

The dick head marshals telling everyone to speed up.

My Ride
    14' C63 507 Edition Coupe

42/39 at Darcy Ranch yesterday.. Beautiful day!!!

Playing Mckenzie tomorrow... Can't wait.

I will break 80 this year!

Originally posted by roopi

Played there on Saturday (44/48). I found the greens very inconsistent in speed. Too many putts that day.
    The front 9 were fast and the back 9 were slow...to me at least. then again, i despise putting

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Just ran through the McCall par 3 9 with a buddy. Had a fun time, no one there. Decently maintained. 16 dollars. They served beer. Took us about exactly an hour goofing off the whole time. And I only shot 2 over

Slowest greens I have ever experienced on my life though hahaha. Had us cursing the first few holes.

Good value for 16 dollars. And that course is definitely a doable option for a beginner, I wanted to feel it out for my wife and non golfer friends.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Pretty dead eh? Was smoking hot yesterday would have thought it would be busy.

I should have went.

Any one use a GPS watch? I do have a rangefinder but I'm thinking of picking up a watch. Just seems so much easier and the fact that it gives front/back of green I think it would be better over a rangefinder. Any experiences to share?

Looking at this watch. Seems like a good deal:
    http://www.golftown.com/Garmin-Appro...PS-Watch-11273

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I've got the garmin approach S2, same one you linked to. Won it in a tournament, would probably have never bought it for myself. I LOVE IT!! I tend to get distracted on the course pretty easily, and I find it super helpful to have an easy yardage reference right on my wrist.
    Also much more helpful than a rangefinder when you are shitty and hitting from a blind lie (like the other fairway).

Easy to use. Worth updating the courses once a year, but that's free off the net.

The newer/fancier versions have additional info about the shape of the greens that might be nice. I know a guy with the S3 and he says it's better.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by roopi
    Any one use a GPS watch? I do have a rangefinder but I'm thinking of picking up a watch. Just seems so much easier and the fact that it gives front/back of green I think it would be better over a rangefinder. Any experiences to share?

Looking at this watch. Seems like a good deal:
    http://www.golftown.com/Garmin-Appro...PS-Watch-11273

Bought my dad the s2 for fathers day about 3 years ago. I tried it one round and it was awesome. Couple weeks later Gtown had the S3 on for cheaper than the S1 so I picked one up and love it. Super light, it will last two rounds if you play back to back days and make sure to end round after. Find it very accurate and it works all around the world I believe? (yyc, yvr and palm springs for sure...)

My Ride
    FX35

Can anyone comment on Invermere/Columbia valleys courses (such as Greywolf, Copperpoint, Radium etc...)? Thx.. looking to go out there in the next few weeks!

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I liked St Eugene, and the city course in Cranbrook is actually quite nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by GSR2700 ISX
    Can anyone comment on Invermere/Columbia valleys courses (such as Greywolf, Copperpoint, Radium etc...)? Thx.. looking to go out there in the next few weeks!

Copperpoint is very nice. Tougher course too but definitely work it

My Ride
    XT6

Originally posted by GSR2700 ISX
    All good tracks - spend a bit more and enjoy Eagle Ranch.

Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 17 ... LastLast