Quantcast
Good single player story-driven games? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Good single player story-driven games?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by RedRayneGTI
    Until Dawn on PS4?

I watched a twitch stream of the whole game and was hooked for the whole thing.
    Survival horror = big weightlifter Cam pees his pants. lol

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I started playing GTA5 and was pleasantly surprised by the storyline and myriad of characters.

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

If you liked the tactical style RPG's like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, etc. - check out Pillars of Eternity. It's a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, made by some of the guys who did Planescape Torment and Star Wars KOTOR II.

A lot of reading involved, some companion quests are done entirely through dialogue. A few companions are quite different from your typical fare and the atmosphere is generally quite serious, but it does have its comic relief. I found the overarching plot of the main story quite refreshing as well (haven't finished it yet, though).

Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai
    If you liked the tactical style RPG's like Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Dragon Age, etc. - check out Pillars of Eternity. It's a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, made by some of the guys who did Planescape Torment and Star Wars KOTOR II.

A lot of reading involved, some companion quests are done entirely through dialogue. A few companions are quite different from your typical fare and the atmosphere is generally quite serious, but it does have its comic relief. I found the overarching plot of the main story quite refreshing as well (haven't finished it yet, though).
    Big +1 for PoE. It's rare for me to sit down and finish a CRPG without starting over a bunch of times but PoE kept me interested from start to finish.

My Ride
    This and that.

My favourite of all time is Uncharted. Can't wait for the next one.

The latest I played was Infamous 2. Pretty good as well.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Mibz
    Undertale

It's no Last of Us, but it'll make you feel.
    It'll also warm his precious little liberal heart And I mean that in a completely joking manner.

I came here to post Undertale as well. I personally feel it is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. Emphasis on story driven, I feel a lot of people are missing A790's requirements in their suggestions.

Honestly, I can't recommend anything else. Xcom 2 is fun, but hardly story driven at the end of the day. Lots of RPG titles just feel like rehashes of what's already been done. Searching indie titles is tedious somedays.

My Ride

Maybe Deus Ex? Haven't played it personally, but have heard good things about it...

My Ride

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

It'll also warm his precious little liberal heart And I mean that in a completely joking manner.

I came here to post Undertale as well. I personally feel it is one of the best story driven games I have ever played. Emphasis on story driven, I feel a lot of people are missing A790's requirements in their suggestions.

Honestly, I can't recommend anything else. Xcom 2 is fun, but hardly story driven at the end of the day. Lots of RPG titles just feel like rehashes of what's already been done. Searching indie titles is tedious somedays.
    LOL I'm more a centrist than anything. At least, my Cities: Skylines and Civ 5 playthroughs suggest as much...

Waiting for XCOM 2 to come down in price. got XCOM: Enemy Unknown and played the first mission, stopped after that. Played it pre-expansion back though and played it through.

Undertale is on my list for this weekend

you didnt mention if you played uncharted i dont think ...? buy the remastered release of 1,2 and 3 and then play the 4th one when it comes out. really good games for single player. also the previous Hitman games are good too if you dont want to go with the new one (for cost sake)

I'm would highly recommend Batman Arkham City and surprised no one else has mentioned it. Fallout 3 & 4, and the Mass Effect series are also pretty good.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Sasuke_Kensai

Big +1 for PoE. It's rare for me to sit down and finish a CRPG without starting over a bunch of times but PoE kept me interested from start to finish.
    How many hours, roughly, did you guys put in from start to finish? I'm wondering if I can play this a bit without the number of hours that something like Morrowind consumes.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

Originally posted by msommers

How many hours, roughly, did you guys put in from start to finish? I'm wondering if I can play this a bit without the number of hours that something like Morrowind consumes.
    I've logged 50 hours so far (but I've spent much more due to reloading) and I'm still not done. I have the White March I and II installed, I'm guessing I'm around 50-66% done both the main campaign and White March I.

I'm trying to do everything possible, I set it to the highest difficulty (but not Iron Man or Expert mode) and I activate high level content whenever available. This leads to a lot more reloads, more backtracking (have to avoid many fights and come back later), a lot more pausing in combat, and more time spent on tweaking equipment as it's necessary due to the difficulty.

If playing on normal difficulty, not activating any high level content, and focusing mostly on the main quest, I would bet that the game could be finished in 40 hours or less.

Another note, loading screens aren't the fastest, particularly if you let the number of save files build up. They can be purged though.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks!
    Ultracrepidarian

Yeah, I did normal difficulty and the flow was really nice. I couldn't tell you how long it took though. Definitely less than an Elder Scrolls game.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I guess I'll need to try it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

Originally posted by klumsy_tumbler
    Maybe Deus Ex? Haven't played it personally, but have heard good things about it...
    Deus Ex Human Revolution was good. There was a lot of good gameplay mechanics that reminded me of the older metal gear solid games (1, 2 and 3). It had a really good story as well. There is a new Deux Ex Mankind Divided set to release in the summer too which should continue the story.

A790, another series you should consider is Metal Gear Solid. Good story and fun gameplay. You can get the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection containing Metal Gear Solid 1, 2 and 3 for the Ps3 or Xbox 360. If you do pick up an XB1 you may even find that they eventually add this to the backwards compatibility which I'm hoping for.

There is also Metal Gear Solid 4 (Ps3 Exclusive). Not sure if you still play your ps3, but it continues the story. Metal Gear Solid 5 which came out Ps4, XB1 and PC. The whole series weaves a very interesting story that all interconnects everything spanning over multiple generations.
    Last edited by Despair*; 03-11-2016 at 12:47 PM.
    PSN: DeceitfulWings
    XBL: DeceitfulWings

My Ride
    Torqueless wonder!

+1 for Deus Ex Human Revolution (which is part 3). Great conversations and story development. It's a prequel to the first game, so the story would mean even more to you if you played that. I only played 2 and 3 but still enjoyed it, it was interesting enough to make me read up on connections to the first game.

If you hadn't played any yet, the Assassin's Creed series is also fun/interesting - it throws Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter-esque modifications into medieval/renaissance history. It also has two storylines (modern/past) going on at the same time.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Altima

I really enjoyed the Far Cry series on PC. A lot of people gave it bad reviews but I loved it. Far Cry 3 and 4 were awesome in my books, Primal doesn't really catch much attention for me, but ill probably pick the game up once I find some used ones going around.

My favorite single player game to date is "The Last of Us" on PS4. I really want to see a sequel or prequel (aside from the brief prequel the last of us came with). But I've heard there really isn't much talk about one (correct me if I'm wrong).

Edit: I'm currently playing Fallout 4 on PS4, I find it very DIFFICULT!! almost to the point where I cant get into it.... I must be doing something wrong (never played Fallout until this one)
    Last edited by ae92gts; 03-11-2016 at 01:24 PM.
    Originally posted by WongYue

10% of a litre bike throttle should mean a 100cc right? I think I can handle that.

My Ride

Originally posted by ae92gts
    Edit: I'm currently playing Fallout 4 on PS4, I find it very DIFFICULT!! almost to the point where I cant get into it.... I must be doing something wrong (never played Fallout until this one)
    Where are you struggling? FO4 is my biatch

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Altima

Originally posted by A790

Where are you struggling? FO4 is my biatch
    PM'D because its embarrassing lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2