Quantcast
Nest Thread - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Nest Thread

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is anyone able to confirm if the Nest or alternatives (Ecobee, etc) can control humidity or would I still need to keep the separate control unit on the wall for that? It's a newer high efficiency furnace with the humidifier and HRV.
    Nest (Gen 3, not E), can control the humidifier if you have a relay. I have not set mine up yet myself as I asked the furnace people to do so when they installed everything and they did not and just put it a control unit on the furnace ducting in the basement.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    Nest (Gen 3, not E), can control the humidifier if you have a relay. I have not set mine up yet myself as I asked the furnace people to do so when they installed everything and they did not and just put it a control unit on the furnace ducting in the basement.
    To add onto this, it depends. If it's a 2-wire 24v humidifier, then it needs a relay and a "Nest pro" installer, in order to access the menu to enable it. I also want to enable it.

This is on my Nest Gen 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Grimace

I think you don't need a nest pro for this as the menu is there when I have scrolled through.
    From what I have figured is that you could use something like this:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H5Y1SA...140_TE_3p_dp_1
    Then use a spare wire from your thermostat into open/close the relay and control the humidifier.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen81 View Post
    Is anyone able to confirm if the Nest or alternatives (Ecobee, etc) can control humidity or would I still need to keep the separate control unit on the wall for that? It's a newer high efficiency furnace with the humidifier and HRV.
    Ecobee controls humidity. No need for a separate unit.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Nest will control humidity. I used to have a humidistat and when they came to install the A/C the guy rewired it so that control was now with the thermostat

I can confirm a few things here:

The ecobee2 controls humidity and does not require a relay. It has enough jam to open/close the solenoid valve to the water supply.

The Nest (Gen 2) controls humidity and DOES require a relay. You can get these from a few different places and are super easy to wire. You do NOT require a Nest Pro to enable it.

The ecobee2 will run the fan/humidifier independant of any heat/cool to bring to desired humidity. I don't believe the nest can. It only runs when a heat/cool/fan function is enabled.

My Ride
    German

Nest is able to control humidity but I don't think my guy used a relay? Gen 3

Edit: Also confirm Nest is able to run humid independent of heat.
    Last edited by infected; 09-21-2017 at 02:14 PM.

So with the $100 rebate dj_rice identified in another thread, a variety of smart thermostats are essentially free right now. Question is should I bother as we have an older furnace that's still in very good condition, a programmable thermostat that is set up and that we don't ever touch, no AC and no humidifier either.

The only place I can possibly see savings is by how these smart thermostats claim to learn when you're not home but how exactly do they learn this - school me on this one exact aspect.

edit: did some reading and figured it out, now which Nest is on sale? Oh and how does the Lyric T5 compare to the similar Nest - might opt for a T5 if it's as capable.

edit #2: I only have a 2 wire system and pulling in a new cable is not an option. I am leaning towards the T5 with it's geofencing and I am more than capable of installing a THP9045 module but where can one purchase one of these modules locally?
    Last edited by speedog; 10-26-2017 at 07:06 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

We’ve been using a Nest for the past couple weeks… hasn’t seemed to learn anything yet and the auto away mode (when your cell phone is away from the house) doesn’t seem to work that consistently with 3 people added to the house. It does look cool on the wall though!

Going with an EcoBee3 in the next house.

Can the EcoBee control the house humidity so you don’t need that stupid humidifier control knob? Also can the EcoBee control the homes HRV/Ventilation system? Trying to have everything controlled in 1 spot and not have 3 wall mounted things scattered around.

Don’t want this:

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

AFAIK Ecobee can only control 1 accessory, so either Humidifier, or HRV. Not both. My setup has it controlling humidifier. I only use the HRV a handful of times a year, so wasn't a big deal that it's on a separate wall switch like it always has been.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    AFAIK Ecobee can only control 1 accessory, so either Humidifier, or HRV. Not both. My setup has it controlling humidifier.
    Well shit.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Well shit.
    Don't think any of the new smart thermostats can do that, only single accessory control. The older Honeywell Prestige line can control humidifier/dehumidifier/HRV all separately if that's a must have.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Just trying to avoid having this slick looking black eco bee touch screen with a big white knob for humidity and an ancient HRV control box beside it. Maybe move the HRV controls somewhere else.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    Just trying to avoid having this slick looking black eco bee touch screen with a big white knob for humidity and an ancient HRV control box beside it. Maybe move the HRV controls somewhere else.
    Hook up the humidifier to your smart thermostat and leave the HRV. How does your HRV controls look? My HRV control is a simple light switch at light switch level so it doesn't look out of place whatsoever.

My Ride
    ute

Quote Originally Posted by infected View Post
    Nest is able to control humidity but I don't think my guy used a relay? Gen 3

Edit: Also confirm Nest is able to run humid independent of heat.
    you sure its working properly?

Or it's plugged into the board and not the solenoid directly.

My Nest3 definitely needed a relay to operate the solenoid.

- - - Updated - - -

after doing enough google-fu, these are the relays I used, just in case someone in the future is doing a search.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Hook up the humidifier to your smart thermostat and leave the HRV. How does your HRV controls look? My HRV control is a simple light switch at light switch level so it doesn't look out of place whatsoever.
    Yea the old school ‘ventilation fans’ are just a regular switch.

I’m not sure the exact one I’m getting but some of the new true HRV’s have fancy controls… can’t find a picture of what I’ve seen in new builds but its something like this:

Or

Which maybe just means it’s a fancy switch with a timer and some other options. Could always remove it for a regular on/off switch I suppose.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    edit #2: I only have a 2 wire system and pulling in a new cable is not an option. I am leaning towards the T5 with it's geofencing and I am more than capable of installing a THP9045 module but where can one purchase one of these modules locally?
    As far as I know wifi thermostats will not work with a 2-wire system, the wifi portion and screen need 24V to be powered, and without power they don't do jack. I ran into the same '2 wire only' issue and had to install a 24V transformer in the wall to power mine, also needed the relay installed, what a PITA but worth it to me.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Hmm our control unit is on the main floor and it controls AC and heat but we have to set it cool or heat. The humidifier control is on the furnace.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    you sure its working properly?

Or it's plugged into the board and not the solenoid directly.

My Nest3 definitely needed a relay to operate the solenoid.

- - - Updated - - -

after doing enough google-fu, these are the relays I used, just in case someone in the future is doing a search.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Was this easy to set up? I have a spare relay to use for this but wasn't sure how to wire it.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Anyone have recommendations on a smart thermostat for electric baseboard heating?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast