Quantcast
Nest Thread - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Nest Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Logitech Circle has a window mode where it doesn't fire the IR as bright. Nothing for Nest AFAIK.
    Interesting, the wirecutter did like that one - I will take a closer look, thanks.

My Ride
    Grimace

If you have a front drive garage it is easy to snake the cable I found for the outdoor cam. Otherwise doorbell one could work.
    Nest only has this advice

While it’s possible to point an indoor camera out a window to see what’s happening outside, this might not give you the best experience. For example, the window glass can create reflections, and your view is limited by the size and location of the window. Instead, you can install one of Nest’s outdoor cameras that’s designed to withstand the elements.

If you prefer to use an indoor camera, here are some tips for pointing it out a window:

If the window glass is creating reflections and glare, it’ll be harder for you to see what’s happening outside. When Night Vision is turned on, the infrared lights will create further reflections. To reduce glare, try mounting the camera so that the lens is flush against the glass.

A mesh screen on the window can affect motion detection. Avoid windows with mesh screens if possible.

I'd think there's window film that would reduce the glare and allow it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by schocker View Post
    If you have a front drive garage it is easy to snake the cable I found for the outdoor cam. Otherwise doorbell one could work.
    Nest only has this advice
    It's a townhome and our front door faces the front yards and front doors of other townhomes. I was hoping to just put something in the front window that would easily keep watch of the entire area. Because it's a managed complex, I don't think we can go about drilling through walls, and there are no exterior power outlets. The doorbell might be the best way to go, as long as it can still see most of the area. I would prefer to get a Nest cam though, it's only $5/mo for storage and seems to be the best for quality and integration if I can solve the window issue - plus I can move it around to different areas if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    Are there any kits to make the indoor Nest cameras see through glass more easily? From what I know about IR, chances are these things glare like crazy through a window especially at night.
    Disable night vision and the status light, and light up the scene you want to monitor with lights outside.

If there is still glare from inside reflecting you could build some sort of shroud over the cam.

Best bet is a doorbell cam though based on your setup.
    ---

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    Disable night vision and the status light, and light up the scene you want to monitor with lights outside.

If there is still glare from inside reflecting you could build some sort of shroud over the cam.

Best bet is a doorbell cam though based on your setup.
    The more over the top way would be to get some LIFX + bulbs where they have a infrared setting and are also usable outdoors and put some of those outside.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Hook up the humidifier to your smart thermostat and leave the HRV. How does your HRV controls look? My HRV control is a simple light switch at light switch level so it doesn't look out of place whatsoever.
    Bump. In the new house... have a couple odd questions:

- We got an EcoBee4 (which has an adjustment for setting humidity levels)
    - Right below the EcoBee is the HRV switch which has hi/low fan and 5 levels of humidity adjustment.
    - I have not idea which is actually controlling the humidity.
    - The HRV switch has no timer so we can't actually run it for 30 minutes/hour or anything. You have to manually turn it on/off via the switch.
    - I set the EcoBee to run the furnace fan for 30 minutes/hour and nothing.... my googling tells me the furnace fan might be triggered by the HRV only?

Running the HRV seems to cool the house down pretty good so it would be nice to run it for XX minutes/hour but right now we need to manually flip the switch.

Can we hook the HRV up the furnace? How do we switch the furnace fan on remotely for XX minutes/hour? Why can't EcoBee support humidity and the HRV?

EDIT:

Might have just found the solution while looking for a photo of the HRV control we have.

We have this one
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Might need on like this with the 20/40 setting?
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Someone set me straight please haha

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

bump!

how the hell can i remotely control this HRV (which actually does a pretty good job in lowering the interior temperature).

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Some kind of compatible Smart switch combined with IFTTT?

I don’t know anything specific, but would be interested in something similar for a fireplace switch. Ideally controllable from Harmony.

Has pretty well nothing to do with nest though.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    bump!

how the hell can i remotely control this HRV (which actually does a pretty good job in lowering the interior temperature).
    Certain thermostats control the HRV remotely, Ecobee does. It actually combines the operation of both HRV and your furnace and AC to set temperature in the house because the feel of the temperature is dependent on the humidity levels.

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    bump!

Confirm what is controlling your humidity. If your HRV is, you should be able to use the accessory connections to manually turn on the HRV (no fan speed control though) with the ecobee.
    ---

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So I picked up a Nest Home Hub to try it out, I’m not sure it really does anything.

Doesn’t even integrate properly with nest products... though they changed the font on the nest cam watermarks. You know, the important stuff.

Name:  2219251B-CFE5-4A29-B4BB-16B68260911A.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  20.9 KB

It’s just a glorified google home puck with visual confirmation and YouTube.

I would give this product a hard pass, especially the bigger more expensive one. A simple tablet would be way more functional.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

That is all I expected from it anyways, google home with a screen. I really just want it to glance when someone rings the doorbell and to show me commute/weather when I am getting ready. I pre-ordered one from bestbuy but it never shipped due to something with my credit card not processing........even though my hue bulbs in the same order shipped and billed no problem

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Yea my preorder just came this afternoon.

I’m not going to return it or anything, just feels a little half baked.

I was expecting more of a control centre for my smart home I guess. It’s nicr to be able to ask it to show me the front door, and it does let me arm my security system with voice which is convenient. Hopefully they flesh it out with time.

fact.

My Ride
    Grimace

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

I was expecting more of a control centre for my smart home I guess. It’s nicr to be able to ask it to show me the front door, and it does let me arm my security system with voice which is convenient. Hopefully they flesh it out with time.
    Yeah, I think they probably will when they roll nest into google further. The google home app is pretty crappy currently. Would make sense once the bigger screen is available as well. I'll probably just pick one up whenever they go on sale now.

Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post

I have mine linked to my SmartThings system and now it can be used to control all my lights, thermostats (Ecobee), cameras and sprinklers but it's typically just a photo frame.

I'm surprised (actually not really, it's Google lol) that it doesn't integrate with Nest Secure a bit more.
    ---

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by kenny View Post
    I have mine linked to my SmartThings system and now it can be used to control all my lights, thermostats (Ecobee), cameras and sprinklers but it's typically just a photo frame.

I'm surprised (actually not really, it's Google lol) that it doesn't integrate with Nest Secure a bit more.
    Well, this makes me feel a little better about having a Ring camera. That being said, my lenovo smart screen has some minor integration with my nest thermostats.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I bought one from the US when they came out.. considering the price Ive been happy. Works with nest doorbell (video and sound) plays music, videos, links to my google pictures account and displays the weather. Not sure what else I would have wanted it to do. (Not sure if the US one is different)

Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    Well, this makes me feel a little better about having a Ring camera. That being said, my lenovo smart screen has some minor integration with my nest thermostats.
    I don't think Ring live streams are supported. Google just added support for Wyze cameras though.
    ---

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I've been using the Lenovo version for several months and very happy with it, but I already knew it's just a Google Home with a screen. It's very useful for controlling all my lights, cooking timer, visual traffic information, video calling, 7 days weather forecast, etc.. and when it's not in used it's a nice digital photo frame. However I only find it useful in the kitchen and have no plans to replace any of my other Google Homes w/ a Hub/Screen.

Only disappointment I have is when I try to live-stream my Arlo baby monitor to either the Hub or Chromecast, I'm seeing a whopping 22sec delay!

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast