Quantcast
Buying new car: WTF is with the package restrictions? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Buying new car: WTF is with the package restrictions?

My Ride
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230, 1968 Chevy Impala

Default Buying new car: WTF is with the package restrictions?

Can't say I have ever come across this but its leaving me in a position where its unlikely I will be able to purchase the vehicle. Yes, I recognize this is a 1st world problem.

I want to upgrade my C Class to a GLA AMG. Should be straight forward. Go to my dealer with a list of packages, not just seeking a base model, but I'm confronted with red tape.

Thing is, I'm 6'5". This makes sun roofs in most cars a no-go due to the lower roof liner that is used to accommodate the mechanism. Not gonna drop $60k+ on a car where my head is tilted the whole time.

I'm also looking forward in life and its likely I'll have a little one in a couple of years so the need to fit a rear facing car seat is a must. The standard sport seats in the GLA are deep, thus making it not possible for a carseat+wife upfront combo. However, the AMGs have the Recaro seat option, an almost $3k option, that saves a good 3 inches in behind the seat. Perfect!

So I go to place my order. Benz tells me that to be allowed to order the Recaros, I HAVE to also get the Premium & Premium + packages. Not only is it $10k of shit I dont want, but it includes the sunroof. Which doesnt work for my stupid tall torso.

Very frustrated, I've basically been told "Too bad". Why the eff is it so hard to give companies money these days? Anyone else experience this with other brands?
    1968 Impala: Status: Stored
    1977 Dodge Triple E RV: Sold
    1989 Mercedes Benz 420 SEL: Sold
    2008 Mercedes Benz C230: Cruising
    2000 Bluebird TC2000: Build phase of skoolie project
    2018 Rav4 XLE: New baby friendly daily

Every car manufacturer is like that.

The only exception is Porsche which has a-la-carte options.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Because even though you're "ordering" it, they're not building you your own model; it's stock they have elsewhere.

Someone somewhere decided the combo you're looking for is of no value / low demand to add to their line of products, so they don't produce it.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I bit the bullet and got the leather package. I've been bitching to MB Canada about this forever. You're FORCED to go with the leather package on the GLA45 and CLA45 if you want those seats. What pisses me off is, I hate leather and prefer the base ARTICO + DINAMICA interior (aka vinyl + alcantara) because it makes the seats so much nicer. For whatever reason, these restrictions are limited by MB Canada, as US and ROW can order it without leather. Yea it's a piss off.

I actually just bitched about it again last night over on the PL. Take a look at the base perf seats that everyone else gets vs the Leather red cut perf seats that we're forced to get in Canada:

Artico + Dinamica:
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Real leather:
    click for larger version

Believe me, I'm trying hard to get this changed because I'll probably be getting an updated GLA45 in 2 years (I love the car that much) and don't want to bite the bullet again and settle for red-cut leather. And yea, it's ended up being pricey. My car optioned out to $74k lol.

edit - Jesus, it looks like my bitching worked. It used to require the Exclusive package (leather) and premium plus package, and now it just requires the 2 premium packages (which is what you're bitching about). Just checking with my reps to confirm that.

edit 2 - My rep got back to me, looks like they heard my complaint over the PL months ago and changed the pre-requisites earlier this year from MXP/AXP (leather exclusive package) to Premium Plus which also requires Premium and hence the sunroof. The premise is that the Premium plus package had a near 100% order rate with the performance seat which is why they moved it to that. This means that there are only a very small number of GLA45's optioned with performance seats and no premium package out there, so you'll have to get really lucky in the used car market for that exact spec. It would be MY2015 and early 2016 builds that's able to spec it out this way. I've asked to see if there are any new vehicles spec'd out this way that are unsold, will let you know what he comes back with.

All I can say is, my bad... it looks like this change is partially my fault.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by jwslam
    Because even though you're "ordering" it, they're not building you your own model; it's stock they have elsewhere.
    It's got nothing to do with stock. You get to build any MB vehicle exactly as you want, with some exceptions like OP is stating.

Originally posted by jwslam
    Someone somewhere decided the combo you're looking for is of no value / low demand to add to their line of products, so they don't produce it.
    Sorta. They force options with some options as pre-requisites because they're sharing hardware, ie self park option requires the blind spot assist option for its sensors, and other times they do it to simplify their ordering process, or even make more money on options. There is zero requirement for those seats to need anything from the Premium Plus package from what I can see.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 04:26 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Not entirely true, I went into Audi and ordered my Q5 exactly how I wanted it. It was the only way to get one with a premium trim, but no sunroof or black leather. It just takes forever because they have to build it and ship it over.

My guess is a salesperson wants a quick sale, not something that will drag out over 4 months.
    They just like to fuck with us. I couldn't get power folding mirror for my Audi but you can get them in the states, makes no sense. It's like someone playing god, you get this and that, not you, just him.

My Ride

Rage, I want to get the leather! Thats not even a concern. I also wanted upgraded wheels and the night package.

There are just some very real issues regarding my fitment in the vehicle and Im blown away there is no route to accommodate a customer like me. My guess is exactly what you stated, nothing more than a cash grab.

Was offered a GLC as a substitute. WTF? haha

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Not entirely true, I went into Audi and ordered my Q5 exactly how I wanted it. It was the only way to get one with a premium trim, but no sunroof or black leather. It just takes forever because they have to build it and ship it over.

My guess is a salesperson wants a quick sale, not something that will drag out over 4 months.
    This is a corporate order pre-requisite, has nothing to do with sales. This is a build to order car. Audi has funny restrictions too with some trim levels and options, but obviously worked out for you for your combination.

Originally posted by lilmira
    They just like to fuck with us. I couldn't get power folding mirror for my Audi but you can get them in the states, makes no sense. It's like someone playing god, you get this and that, not you, just him.
    MB is backwards here for that, people in US wants power folding mirrors and they're pissed off because it's standard in Canada lol.

Originally posted by cycosis
    Rage, I want to get the leather! Thats not even a concern. I also wanted upgraded wheels and the night package.

There are just some very real issues regarding my fitment in the vehicle and Im blown away there is no route to accommodate a customer like me. My guess is exactly what you stated, nothing more than a cash grab.

Was offered a GLC as a substitute. WTF? haha
    I just called the dealer, and looks like the order system currently requires Premium, Premium Plus, and Leather as a pre-requisite for Performance Seats. That means I'm shafted too! Talk about a gong show!

Lone Star says there's nothing they can do, hands are tied with the MB Canada order system. In fact the sales manager was telling me about you and your frustrations with the spec you want.

That sucks.

My Ride

Yea I had both Lonestar and Hyatt look into it because I thought maybe the sales guy was trying to pull a fast one on me. Sooooo frustrated

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

Originally posted by rage2
    I bit the bullet and got the leather package. I've been bitching to MB Canada about this forever. You're FORCED to go with the leather package on the GLA45 and CLA45 if you want those seats. What pisses me off is, I hate leather and prefer the base ARTICO + DINAMICA interior (aka vinyl + alcantara) because it makes the seats so much nicer. For whatever reason, these restrictions are limited by MB Canada, as US and ROW can order it without leather. Yea it's a piss off.

I actually just bitched about it again last night over on the PL. Take a look at the base perf seats that everyone else gets vs the Leather red cut perf seats that we're forced to get in Canada:

Artico + Dinamica:
    click for larger version

Real leather:
    click for larger version

Believe me, I'm trying hard to get this changed because I'll probably be getting an updated GLA45 in 2 years (I love the car that much) and don't want to bite the bullet again and settle for red-cut leather. And yea, it's ended up being pricey. My car optioned out to $74k lol.

edit - Jesus, it looks like my bitching worked. It used to require the Exclusive package (leather) and premium plus package, and now it just requires the 2 premium packages (which is what you're bitching about). Just checking with my reps to confirm that.

edit 2 - My rep got back to me, looks like they heard my complaint over the PL months ago and changed the pre-requisites earlier this year from MXP/AXP (leather exclusive package) to Premium Plus which also requires Premium and hence the sunroof. The premise is that the Premium plus package had a near 100% order rate with the performance seat which is why they moved it to that. This means that there are only a very small number of GLA45's optioned with performance seats and no premium package out there, so you'll have to get really lucky in the used car market for that exact spec. It would be MY2015 and early 2016 builds that's able to spec it out this way. I've asked to see if there are any new vehicles spec'd out this way that are unsold, will let you know what he comes back with.

All I can say is, my bad... it looks like this change is partially my fault.
    You're nuts, the only seats I'd get in a Mercedes are the gen leather ones because the artificial stuff is shit. I've seen that stuff split in less than a year. Same goes for BMW, although their fake leather isn't quite as bad. Good real leather will still look new after 10 years.

As for the gla, I'd skip it. You're tall, that car is not made for tall people period. It's almost as bad as the cla. I'm 6 3 and make myself fit in a fd rx7 so I'm not opposed to making space sacrifices, but there is zero chance I'd buy a gla due to its interior space.

My Ride

Its a very attractive car as I like small cars, it had 4 wheel drive, much more powerful than the current ride, slightly more storage, higher ride height. It would have been a great all around ski wagon/fun daily driver.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

There are some things you can special order or change.

On my E63, I almost went with open pore wood which would have been a $250 upgrade charge with a $750 change fee. I spent an extra $1250 and went with carbon fibre ($2250 option).

I also know you can get double laminated glass through special order.

Have you asked about taking the premium package and paying $750 to delete the sunroof? That's the way I would go. I fucking hate sunroofs.

Also, there is a GLC43 coming that will have the same seats. Slightly bigger and might be enough of a difference in headroom.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I know this might be crazy talk but...

Order whatever model you want, have dealer order seats in, install seats? Unless there is some reason the seats won't interface with some of the equipment?

There has to be a part # associated with it, so it can be bought. If the dealer is motivated to sell a car, get them to sell them to you at cost. Maybe pay for them to do the installation? Just a thought

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Zhao Kan
    You're nuts, the only seats I'd get in a Mercedes are the gen leather ones because the artificial stuff is shit. I've seen that stuff split in less than a year. Same goes for BMW, although their fake leather isn't quite as bad. Good real leather will still look new after 10 years.
    Go to the lambo dealer and take a look at my old C63 Black Series. 4 years old, 0 maintenance, driving kids daily and the interior looks brand new with the Artico interior. Leather was never available for that car. Can't say the same for my last cars with leather. Real leather can look good after 10 years, if you don't have kids, and work on it a couple times a month.

Originally posted by Zhao Kan
    As for the gla, I'd skip it. You're tall, that car is not made for tall people period. It's almost as bad as the cla. I'm 6 3 and make myself fit in a fd rx7 so I'm not opposed to making space sacrifices, but there is zero chance I'd buy a gla due to its interior space.
    Have you been in a GLA? Since I'm tall and I drive one everyday, I know there's tons of room, much more than the CLA. I have the sunroof, and have an inch of room from my head to the headliner (1.5 to 2 inches to the glass). That's sitting straight up race car driver style. Ride gangsta lean, and I free up another inch or so. I'm 6'2".

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    I know this might be crazy talk but...

Order whatever model you want, have dealer order seats in, install seats? Unless there is some reason the seats won't interface with some of the equipment?

There has to be a part # associated with it, so it can be bought. If the dealer is motivated to sell a car, get them to sell them to you at cost. Maybe pay for them to do the installation? Just a thought
    It can't be done. The wiring harness is completely different. It's been tried before.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Try the Golf R. It does not have a sunroof and has plenty of head room.

My Ride

Originally posted by rage2

It can't be done. The wiring harness is completely different. It's been tried before.
    Just thought of this last night as an option. Deflated once again

My Ride
    Silverado

buy a V60?

My Ride
    Left at 5pm

I think a big part of it is process control: it becomes more efficient to build when there are fewer variations available.
    Originally posted by scat19
    I have a BMW so im not stupid.