Quantcast
Online consulting gigs - various websites like Maven, Clarity, GLG group etc. - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Online consulting gigs - various websites like Maven, Clarity, GLG group etc.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well, you can't compare the per hour rate of these gigs with the rate for "real" work. It's all in 45 minute chunks. Nobody gets even a full days work at that rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just an update, there has been very little from GLG in the last few months, but I'm signed up for a two day session in a couple of weeks. Should provide some pocket money for stampede anyway.

If anyone is thinking of signing up, PM me and I'll talk you through it and refer you. Can split referral bonuses if you want.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Well that's disappointing, GLG cancelled the two day session with only one days notice. So not only am I not earning that money, I actually cleared my schedule for them and it's too late to start setting up business meetings now. Quite disrespectful.

No double-meat subs for me this week.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

It's been really quiet on this front for a while, but did a 55 minute phone call yesterday with GLG. Two bankers from a very well known firm in New York. Not sure if they are looking to make more investments in Canadian O&G, or to exert more influence on the many companies they already own big chunks of. Fun phone call, they obviously had some experience with these topics in a US context, and were looking for local knowledge on the way with do things here in Canuck-land. Seemed to really appreciate my answers

I'd love it if I could do more of these, they always seem low-hassle and high-reward.

Anyone who wants to try it out, I get bonuses for referring people. I'll split that bonus with you.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hilarious, I doubt it's coincidence that I just got accepted for anther phone consultation next week.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

So how does this work? If you consider yourself an "expert" in a certain field you sign up and when someone needs to bounce ideas off someone with knowledge on that topic they call you? Say your fee is $150/hr and you have a 45 minute phone call out of it, do you get an e-transfer, or physical cheque or something for $112.50? Can you charge GST or is it an "under the table" thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Here's how it's work for me with GLG. You fill out your resume, previous work, highlighting your skills, pretty much like a job application. You also write a paragraph highlighting your skills and experience, a little like a cover letter. You can search for gigs on thier website, but generally they'll email you opportunities as well. All of the gigs I've completed have been phone calls, although I've heard of in-person workshops. The phone calls are pretty relaxed. They don't require you to do any up-front work or research. They make an appointment with you for a time to call, and they are very punctual. Generally the people on the phone are people with a broad understanding of the topic, but not the specifics. Seems to me it's usually been bankers or finance people from new york, either fact-checking an investment idea, or running something their clients have said to them past you as a bullshit detector. The phone call lasts 30-60 minutes (generally) and you get paid for whatever portion of your hourly rate (in USD) that adds up to. When I first started they mailed you a paper cheque, but now they seem to have more payment options including amazon gift cards. The gift cards are fastest because you can get them by email. You can't charge them GST on top of your hourly rate, but I suppose if you wanted to you could take it out of your end and remit that to the federales. I don't.

My rate has varied quite a bit. It was as high as $145 and as low as $75/hr. They say you might get more work at a lower rate, but I haven't found that to be true. It's true the clients can see your info and rate before they decide to choose you.

Basically, the biggest pain in the ass is responding quickly to the emails, which takes a couple of minutes each time, and needs to be done fast if you want to get the gigs, and you don't get paid for that time.

For me, the few hundred bucks a year I make on it buys me a few trinkets from Amazon, but it's not really much of an income supplement. Maybe there's a way to get more work through these guys, I'm not sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2