Quantcast
Washing your car at home - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Washing your car at home

My Ride
    BMW E71 X6

Default Washing your car at home

Guys, moved here few weeks ago from Vancouver. I'm trying to understand the law behind washing your car at home in your driveway which I used to do all the time in Vancouver. Some people say it's not allowed here and I can get ticketed and then some say it is legal. What is the truth ? Any help will be appreciated.

I believe it is bylaw that you cannot wash your car on your own property or at least can not introduce anything except rain water into the storm drains (this includes biodegradable soap). Will you get in shit for doing it? Depends on your neighbors and how cranky they are.

My Ride
    BMW E71 X6

Originally posted by captain134
    I believe it is bylaw that you cannot wash your car on your own property or at least can not introduce anything except rain water into the storm drains (this includes biodegradable soap). Will you get in shit for doing it? Depends on your neighbors and how cranky they are.
    That is the exact answer I keep getting from everybody, I guess this summer I will wash it ones to findout how cranky the neighbors are lol

With soap = illegal
    No soap = legal
    "Overly dirty" is also illegal even with no soap.
    Chances of getting caught? Probably pretty low depending how nice your neighbors are and if they renewed their green peace memberships or not.

More info from the COC site specifically to washing your car in residential areas
    http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...-drainage.aspx

Bylaws related to residential car washing

Can I wash my car on the street?

Under theDrainage Bylaw 37M2005, you may use only water to clean your car. If you are washing your car on the street, you must not use any kind of soap or any product other than water, and your car must not be overly dirty.

Since the Drainage Bylaw states that only water may enter the storm sewers, we strongly suggest using a carwash to wash vehicles.

What is the fine for washing my car with soap on the street?

The specified fine for violating this section of the bylaw is $500 for a first offence.

Can I use biodegradable soap to wash my car on the street?

No. All soaps and detergents are prohibited substances under the Drainage Bylaw. Only plain water can be used to wash vehicles.

My Ride
    BMW E71 X6

Thanks for the information guys, I guess I will be washing my car with no soap unless I can find a soap that does not bubble up lol
    Last edited by 13E71DUDE; 03-23-2016 at 03:24 PM.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

According to the city, you can wash your car if you have gravel on your driveway, but not on the concrete or grass.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

I dont know if this actually gets enforced unless you have NIMBY neighbors. Basically anyone buying car soap from Canadian Tire are conspiring to commit an illegal act.

My Ride
    BMW E71 X6

Originally posted by nobb
    I dont know if this actually gets enforced unless you have NIMBY neighbors. Basically anyone buying car soap from Canadian Tire are conspiring to commit an illegal act.
    I wonder if there are people lurking in the aisles waiting to catch those who buy car wash soap at CT
    E71 BMW X6 M Sport
    E70 BMW X5 M Sport - Sold
    F30 BMW 335i M Sport -Sold
    F30 BMW 328i - Sold
    E70 BMW X5 - Sold
    E71 BMW X6 - Sold
    E92 BMW 328i - Sold
    E90 BMW 330i - Sold
    E46 BMW 325i - Sold
    E53 BMW x5 3.5i -Sold
    2000 BMW 323i - Sold
    1997 BMW 318i - Sold

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Originally posted by R!zz0
    According to the city, you can wash your car if you have gravel on your driveway, but not on the concrete or grass.
    Does this mean I couldn't park my motorcycle on the grass and wash with a bio-degradable soap?

My Ride
    Grimace

I have seen people report this on 311, even with just water so I worry some what. I wash mine by hand though on my driveway, it is big enough that none of the soap goes near the street and it works OK.

My Ride
    A Slow Car

Originally posted by Boat

Does this mean I couldn't park my motorcycle on the grass and wash with a bio-degradable soap?
    Right.
    “Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.”

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

I just use water to give the car a quick rinse.

If I really wanted it clean, I'd take it to a car wash with a couple buckets.

Basically anyone buying car soap from Canadian Tire are conspiring to commit an illegal act.
    There are some washes around the city that allow BYOS bucket washing. I think the one in Harvest Hills NW allows it.

Originally posted by botox
    With soap = illegal
    No soap = legal
    "Overly dirty" is also illegal even with no soap.
    Chances of getting caught? Probably pretty low depending how nice your neighbors are and if they renewed their green peace memberships or not.

More info from the COC site specifically to washing your car in residential areas
    http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...-drainage.aspx

Bylaws related to residential car washing

Can I wash my car on the street?

Under theDrainage Bylaw 37M2005, you may use only water to clean your car. If you are washing your car on the street, you must not use any kind of soap or any product other than water, and your car must not be overly dirty.

Since the Drainage Bylaw states that only water may enter the storm sewers, we strongly suggest using a carwash to wash vehicles.

What is the fine for washing my car with soap on the street?

The specified fine for violating this section of the bylaw is $500 for a first offence.

Can I use biodegradable soap to wash my car on the street?

No. All soaps and detergents are prohibited substances under the Drainage Bylaw. Only plain water can be used to wash vehicles.
    The FAQ on this issue seems purposely deceiving? It says I may use only water to clean my car. Then proceeds to specifically list the things I can't do on the street but never mentions those specific situations for my driveway.

Just to add more grey area, I had a neighbor call bylaw because I was washing my car on the street using soap. Bylaw officer drove up beside me, rolled his window down, advised me of the complaint and said that washing my car with detergent on the street was illegal. He then continued to advise me that if I moved my car to the driveway there's nothing he could do "Wink, wink and a smirk". I still wash my car with soap on my driveway from time to time, haven't had any issues.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I used to have my asshole NIMBY neighbor in Coventry report me all the time because he hated how loud my gas pressure washer was. Finally bylaw came by and told me that the bylaw I was violating was letting soap down the storm sewer. Solution? I bought a couple sandbags and stacked them around the storm drain whenever I washed my cars (about every other day.) Next time the bylaw guy came around, he actually applauded my ingenuity and said as long as I continued to do that, nothing he could do.

Pain in the ass? Yes. But having shiny cars all the time is well worth it! Plus it builds muscle haha

P.S. Suck it next door neighbor. You always were an asshole!

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Solution? I bought a couple sandbags and stacked them around the storm drain whenever I washed my cars (about every other day.)
    So where does the soapy water go?

Maybe they're not washing their vehicles in Calgary. Just because something may be illegal to use in Calgary doesn't necessarily mean that it's illegal in let's say Airdrie or Irricana.

So where does the soapy water go?
    Down to the next storm drain, out of sight, out of mind.

My Ride
    MR2

Wow I did not even know this was a law. Always wondered why the self washes are always so packed up. Is calgary the only city that does this? I've never heard of any such law in other cities

Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
    Wow I did not even know this was a law. Always wondered why the self washes are always so packed up. Is calgary the only city that does this? I've never heard of any such law in other cities
    Edmonton, Lethbridge, Airdrie all have similar bylaws on the books and probably as most other municipalities.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast