Quantcast
Stained 3M - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Stained 3M

Default Stained 3M

So my girlfriend's fairly new 3M (August) got a stain on it from something, no idea what. It looks like a brownish/copperish liquid dripped down the hood (kind of looks like varnish?). Anyways it came off her paint and bumper plastic with a little elbow grease no problem, but everywhere that it contacted the 3M seemed to leave a permanent stain. I believe whatever it is was oil based judging by how it repelled water when I was cleaning it off other parts. It looked kind of oily, and has a sheen to it like when you see oil in a puddle of water in a parking lot.

My feeling is that someone probably walked by her car on day and dripped something on the hood. I really don't think it's a natural substance like from a tree or something.

I've tried using a variety of products on it, with no luck whatsoever. The only thing I haven't done is used anything with an abrasive in it because it will probably wreck the 3M.

Any suggestions on how to get a stain like this out assuming it hasn't chemically altered the 3M? Plan B I guess is going to the Honda dealer that installed it and asking them to warranty it through 3M because I think 3M has a stain/discoloration warranty but I am not 100% sure on that one.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Default Re: Stained 3M

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    So my girlfriend's fairly new 3M (August) got a stain on it from something, no idea what. It looks like a brownish/copperish liquid dripped down the hood (kind of looks like varnish?). Anyways it came off her paint and bumper plastic with a little elbow grease no problem, but everywhere that it contacted the 3M seemed to leave a permanent stain. I believe whatever it is was oil based judging by how it repelled water when I was cleaning it off other parts. It looked kind of oily, and has a sheen to it like when you see oil in a puddle of water in a parking lot.

My feeling is that someone probably walked by her car on day and dripped something on the hood. I really don't think it's a natural substance like from a tree or something.

I've tried using a variety of products on it, with no luck whatsoever. The only thing I haven't done is used anything with an abrasive in it because it will probably wreck the 3M.

Any suggestions on how to get a stain like this out assuming it hasn't chemically altered the 3M? Plan B I guess is going to the Honda dealer that installed it and asking them to warranty it through 3M because I think 3M has a stain/discoloration warranty but I am not 100% sure on that one.
    I had 3M on a white car (4 years old) and it was naturally discolouring a little. I had a paint correction done and Jed (mobile reflections) was able to get ~80% of the discolouration worked out. As for warranty I know Xpel has it for 10 years, not so sure about the 3M.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    FB6

I would probably try a solvent, maybe goo gone or little bit of rubbing alcohol.

Make sure that after you try any of that, to protect it with some plastic/vinyl protectant like 303.

Originally posted by Darkane

I had 3M on a white car (4 years old) and it was naturally discolouring a little. I had a paint correction done and Jed (mobile reflections) was able to get ~80% of the discolouration worked out. As for warranty I know Xpel has it for 10 years, not so sure about the 3M.
    Do you know what he did to it? Was it a special polish for 3M or something that just removes a small top layer?

She got the car in August 2015 so whatever warranty 3M has should still be valid, assuming it applies to this situation. It might just be a discoloration warranty (rather than for stains), I have to look into that more.

Originally posted by realazy
    I would probably try a solvent, maybe goo gone or little bit of rubbing alcohol.

Make sure that after you try any of that, to protect it with some plastic/vinyl protectant like 303.
    I'd be scared to use a solvent on it, or anything that could potentially discolor, cloud, or damage the 3M. I always keep a good layer of AutoGlym paint sealant on it but that unfortunately did not stop whatever got to it this time. Alcohol might work if I could find out for sure that it wouldn't damage the 3M.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

You can use polishing compound directly on the 3M just like you can the paint. Do NOT use any kind of solvent or you will cloud the film.

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    You can use polishing compound directly on the 3M just like you can the paint. Do NOT use any kind of solvent or you will cloud the film.
    Yeah I would be scared of solvents for sure.

Are you sure about the polish? A detail shop completely wrecked (and replaced) the 3M on my previous car by polishing it.

I have some "AutoGlym super resin polish" I was going to use, but I know it's abrasive, so I as too scared.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Are you sure about the polish? A detail shop completely wrecked (and replaced) the 3M on my previous car by polishing it.

I have some "AutoGlym super resin polish" I was going to use, but I know it's abrasive, so I as too scared.
    Unfortunately I don't know what kind of polish he used.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    G37X

You could probably talk to Carzilla or Auto Obsessed to find out a polish that would work.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Yes. I installed paint protection film for years and used to polish it all the time to remove squeegee scratches, etc. Use a good rubbing compound and a rotary buffer for best results. You need to heat the film up with the buffer to soften it but do NOT burn it!

Polishing by hand won't work.

My Ride
    growls

Stains in the 3M is not warranty as it's not considered discoloration or a manufacturer defect. You can try getting them to warranty it but chances are the answer is going to be no. We've had customers come in before with the same concern (White Santa Fe) and we replaced the 3M on the hood at the customers expense.

3M warranty is 5 years against manufacturer defects aka discoloration, etc.

As others have said, you can polish it but you may burn it or make it worse. Chances are you may have scratched it as well trying to fix it.

Alternative... Let the 3M get beat up and ignore the stain, few years down the road have it replaced. If it bothers you that much, replace it.

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda

Yes. I installed paint protection film for years and used to polish it all the time to remove squeegee scratches, etc. Use a good rubbing compound and a rotary buffer for best results. You need to heat the film up with the buffer to soften it but do NOT burn it!

Polishing by hand won't work.
    Hmm, I wonder if they just burnt it then when they wrecked mine. Good to know.

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

I've got some xpel film cleaner you are more than welcome to come by and try or grab a sample of. I can also take a look at it and see if I can correct it with a mild polish. I've had great luck correcting the film on my Accord.

Originally posted by Squishy
    Stains in the 3M is not warranty as it's not considered discoloration or a manufacturer defect. You can try getting them to warranty it but chances are the answer is going to be no. We've had customers come in before with the same concern (White Santa Fe) and we replaced the 3M on the hood at the customers expense.

3M warranty is 5 years against manufacturer defects aka discoloration, etc.

As others have said, you can polish it but you may burn it or make it worse. Chances are you may have scratched it as well trying to fix it.

Alternative... Let the 3M get beat up and ignore the stain, few years down the road have it replaced. If it bothers you that much, replace it.
    3M warrantied the film on my S4 when pink windshield washer fluid stained it - would this be considered different?

Originally posted by idriveabox
    I've got some xpel film cleaner you are more than welcome to come by and try or grab a sample of. I can also take a look at it and see if I can correct it with a mild polish. I've had great luck correcting the film on my Accord.
    That's very generous, thanks - I'll have to check with the GF (I care about this way more than she does haha).

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

I had bug guts and other stuff in mine. i clay barred it out.