Quantcast
4K TV owners, want to stream movies? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 4K TV owners, want to stream movies?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Default 4K TV owners, want to stream movies?

So, Sony is going to start a 4k streaming service. The catch? It's going to cost $30 per movie you stream...That's more than 2 tickets to a theater!

is it worth it? Can't you buy a physical copy for less?

Want razor sharp picture quality without leaving your couch? Stream in 4K resolution and High Dynamic Range (HDR)! You can buy new blockbusters and beloved classics on your 2016 Sony 4K Ultra HD TV in crystal clear 4K when you sign up for Sony Pictures’ ULTRA service, launching April 4th. Plus, eligible Sony 4K Ultra HD TVs with ULTRA get four free movies with signup!
    https://www.facebook.com/SonyPicture...type=3&theater
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

$30 is to purchase the movie, not that much more compared to a typical Blu-ray or online movie purchase ($15-20).
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

$30 is fair when we are still paying $25 for digital HD movies. I saw that bestbuy already has a small selection of UHD blurays for $32-35. Only one UHD BR player though $600.

$30 *per movie* seems really high in the days of Usenet and Netflix.

There's also "Screening Room", a service trying to bring theater movies to your living room for $150 for the set top box and $50 per movie (USD). I can't see that being too successful unless you otherwise have a big family that you take to the movies all the time.

So, is it $30 per movie or $30 per streamed movie? Are you actually buying a movie for $30 or are you buying the right to watch it once?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm looking forward to seeing screening room work. It's basically a non baller version of PRIMA, which is a $50k setup and $150 a movie. $50 a movie is nothing for a family of 4, cheaper than going to the theater.

Mibz it's $30 to buy the movie. You stream to watch as many times as you like, no download option. I don't trust Sony keeping this in business long enough to be a true purchase.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Mibz
    So, is it $30 per movie or $30 per streamed movie? Are you actually buying a movie for $30 or are you buying the right to watch it once?
    Sounds like per movie in 4K which is a stupid move.

And it's limited to Sony's library of movies.

Not sure how will pay $30 to "own" a movie any more. And what's the bandwidth requirement? Netflix is ~3GB/hr with HD. Would 4K be 4x that? So a 2hr movie will be 24GB? That roughly translate to $5 worth of bandwidth per viewing which is totally retarded model when I can go buy a BR for the same price and call it a day.

Now if they release movies on the same date as theatrical release, then I have less problem with this.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

All that money for super ultra mega HD and then we complain that Hollywood hasn't put out a decent movie in 20 years

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Not sure how will pay $30 to "own" a movie any more. And what's the bandwidth requirement? Netflix is ~3GB/hr with HD. Would 4K be 4x that? So a 2hr movie will be 24GB? That roughly translate to $5 worth of bandwidth per viewing which is totally retarded model when I can go buy a BR for the same price and call it a day.

Now if they release movies on the same date as theatrical release, then I have less problem with this.
    UHD on netflix is 7gb/hr and they recommend 25 Mbps

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by schocker

UHD on netflix is 7gb/hr and they recommend 25 Mbps
    25Mbps works out to be 11GB/hr but I guess depends on content, 7GB/hr is possible.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Having watched UHD movies, it seems totally unnatural for me to see a leaf thats ~5km away - far better than the human eye can see in real life

My Ride
    Corvette

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    There's also "Screening Room", a service trying to bring theater movies to your living room for $150 for the set top box and $50 per movie (USD). I can't see that being too successful unless you otherwise have a big family that you take to the movies all the time.
    Is this coming to Canada?

Originally posted by BigShow

Is this coming to Canada?
    No idea, I just read about it on engadget one day. If I had to guess I'd say USA only.

25Mbps works out to be 11GB/hr but I guess depends on content, 7GB/hr is possible.
    They recommend higher because usually people have A) under-performing internet connections and B) high probability of other traffic happening at the same time lowering your bandwidth

Sounds like per movie in 4K which is a stupid move.

And it's limited to Sony's library of movies.

Shaw doesn't charge for overages as far as I know (I've been over many times), the bandwidth shouldn't matter much even for fairly heavy watchers I wouldn't think.

Who buys movies anymore though? And if it's streamed, how can they guarantee it's always going to be there for you in the future when you want to watch 5 years from now? Maybe it's different for people with kids but I can't even remember the last Blu-ray I bought myself, and the few I picked out of WalMart bargain bins are still in the retail plastic haha.

The movie service for theater movies (I think there's a small delay still) is $50 USD a pop unless there is a Canadian equivalent.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-30-2016 at 02:27 PM.