Quantcast
Noise Reduction Ear Plugs - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Noise Reduction Ear Plugs

My Ride
    MR2

Default Noise Reduction Ear Plugs

Just wondering what you guys are using for ear plugs while riding. Looking to upgrade to something better than foam plugs. Saw a few that go around the ear but I wear glasses so those would come in the way.

Has anyone ever tried the custom molded ones at Bass Pro Shops? They're only rated to 25db vs the 35db foam ones, but I'm guessing the better seal would give better results in real life usage.

I don't really have any complaints with the foam ones other than they get loose after some riding. Maybe I don't know how to properly insert them

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I haven't used them for riding yet since I bought them during the winter, but I got custom molded ear plugs from Costco.

I sleep with them on weekends cause there's construction across the street and I'm always surprised how much noise they cancel out when I take them off cause I can't hear a thing to the point where I think there's no construction at all. They're well worth the price IMO and I can't wait to try them out while riding.

If you're going to get them at Costco, try going right before they close. I happened to be there near closing and just wanted ask about it and they said they'd get my molds done right then cause they had nothing to do otherwise the next available appointment was several weeks away haha

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Re: Noise Reduction Ear Plugs

Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
    Just wondering what you guys are using for ear plugs while riding. Looking to upgrade to something better than foam plugs. Saw a few that go around the ear but I wear glasses so those would come in the way.

Has anyone ever tried the custom molded ones at Bass Pro Shops? They're only rated to 25db vs the 35db foam ones, but I'm guessing the better seal would give better results in real life usage.

I don't really have any complaints with the foam ones other than they get loose after some riding. Maybe I don't know how to properly insert them
    Are you saying your bike is too loud for foam plugs? Try yawning during the squish-insert-plugs part.

Also ACTIVE NC ear plugs are worth the ~300$ if you ride a lot.

BTW, contacts WILL give you MUCH better visibility on longer rides over glasses..... just bring drops in case of looooong rides.
    Last edited by revelations; 03-31-2016 at 11:20 PM.

I always wear foam ear plugs when I ride, everyone should really. Wind noise *will* cause permanent hearing damage, no way around it but proper hearing protection.

Can always try different brands of foam ear plugs as there are many different shapes and sizes out there but it does take time before you develop a method of inserting them properly that works for you.
    I have no experience with the custom ones, but just keep in mind its possible for any ear plug that has hard bits on it to cause annoying vibration noises with the helmet pressing against them. But shouldn't be an issue if they don't stick out much.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I got some done through work at a few companies, they block out certain frequencies, I can hear people talk and music just fine little quieter but less than expected, but engine noise, bangs, anything over 90db is blocked (other than music and stuff) they are pretty expensive on that note though, I have never tried wearing them riding though but I might tomorrow if I decide to take the bike out.

My Ride
    Trucks

X2 for Costco custom ear plugs. Cheaper than any other I could find.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I was going to try the costco ones at the recommendation of a few forums online. I heard good things for a good price.

Currently use laser-lite foam.
    http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/laser-lite
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

For biking I'd just stick with foam earplugs. They do a good job of reducing the noise. There are much better ear plugs out there, but they are aimed at noise reducing + retaining sound quality (concerts/festivals and such) which you don't need on a bike.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by pheoxs
    There are much better ear plugs out there, but they are aimed at noise reducing + retaining sound quality (concerts/festivals and such) which you don't need on a bike.
    These are what I have and they're worth every penny (approx. $200), I just use them for shows and riding and whatever!

So good.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Look into Surefire Earpros. Multiple types and work incredibly well.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by pheoxs
    For biking I'd just stick with foam earplugs. They do a good job of reducing the noise. There are much better ear plugs out there, but they are aimed at noise reducing + retaining sound quality (concerts/festivals and such) which you don't need on a bike.
    Well I mean, I use a Sena headset while riding, so being able to talk/listen to music, and still retain my hearing til I'm old and even more crotchety would be ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

I got mine at the motorcycle show. There is/was a booth there that custom makes them right there. WAY more comfortable than the foam ones and work as well or better too. I think they are around $70 if memory serves and worth every penny. Wish I had them years ago before the tinnitus set in.
    '08.5 Mazda 3
    '90 Laser RS-T
    '07 Yamaha R6

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^^ Which company is that??
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    '10 Civic

New rider here. I took my bike out for about 20 minutes and my left ear has been ringing since. Not sure if riding is the problem but I do get lots of noise in my helmet so I want to get a pair.

I was looking at some hearing clinics and once place quoted me $287 for the pair. This is the "musician" style ones that apparently react to different levels of attenuation as they say.

I've had tinnitus since i was 14 so its always been a problem but I don't want things to get worse. I might do some shopping around but I can pretty easily justify the high spend.

Any thoughts?

My Ride
    changes every year

I got molded ear plugs from Costco at the hearing center. They have 3 different levels of noise reduction and I paid about $65.