Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 5 - Page 16 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Has your office/company laid people off?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people have already been laid off but there will not likely be anymore

29 13.55%
  • Yes, people have already been laid off and there will likely be more.

80 37.38%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet but there will likely be layoffs during the coming months

5 2.34%
  • No, no one has been laid off and there likely won't be any layoffs in the coming months

52 24.30%
  • I WAS laid off but have since found other employment

13 6.07%
  • I WAS laid off and am still looking for other employment

30 14.02%
  • My company went under / other (explain in comments)

5 2.34%
Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 5

Originally posted by schurchill39
    Very interesting that grades seem to be playing such a factor. Since I've been in the full time work force for 4ish years now I've had the opportunity to work with and network with a lot of managers who are in a position to hire people and nearly every single one of them have said if they get a resume outlining how high their GPA was as opposed to the degree/diploma/certificate they got it would usually end up in the trash because typically that's all those people had. They all say after the initial interview if they are interested in the candidate they will ask for a transcript as proof of completion but thats about it. Mind you this is O&G and most of them have been in engineering type roles.

I'm not saying anything either way, its just interested to see the shift. I wonder if it holds true in O&G as well.
    I don't have my GPA on my resume. Most of the bigger outfits require you apply through their online system. It's a giant PITA, during that application process many ask for your GPA. I don't know if all positions require this but the entry level "new grad" jobs almost always did.

Your right, I don't think the managers of specific departments care much about grades if you have experience. However, your first line is rarely those managers, it's almost always an HR rep that probably knows very little about the requirements of the job beyond what's on paper and uses grades as a quick way to eliminate applicants. Truthfully I don't know if they're actually using grades to do this, but they are asking for them.
    Last edited by rx7_turbo2; 06-14-2016 at 01:13 PM.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Bicycle

I'm not saying anything either way, its just interested to see the shift. I wonder if it holds true in O&G as well.
    I think good manager will look at all aspects. But when all things are equal, grades can be tie breakers.

Also if you are fresh out of school and has 0 work or volunteering experience, grades are all you got.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-14-2016 at 01:35 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I always wonder about GPA and grades, I presume they only use that for prospective employees that were schooled in North America, I wonder what they do for anyone not born here, I'd never heard of GPA where I was born.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Very interesting that grades seem to be playing such a factor. Since I've been in the full time work force for 4ish years now I've had the opportunity to work with and network with a lot of managers who are in a position to hire people and nearly every single one of them have said if they get a resume outlining how high their GPA was as opposed to the degree/diploma/certificate they got it would usually end up in the trash because typically that's all those people had. They all say after the initial interview if they are interested in the candidate they will ask for a transcript as proof of completion but thats about it. Mind you this is O&G and most of them have been in engineering type roles.

Maybe back when oil was $100+. Now GPA matters since there is so few positions.

As mentioned earlier by the time managers see applicants they have been screened anyway in probably any place that has HR.
    Last edited by lasimmon; 06-14-2016 at 03:01 PM.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Curious why you decided to ditch the Master Electrician career and go back to school.

My Ride
    X5

Just wanted to post my experience on here. I finished my MBA last June and moved back to Calgary in Sept 2015, ready to work. Had good experience in the O&G industry in Finance, was looking for more finance/banking or M&A/Corporate strategy type of roles. Had a good internship during MBA, but with the downturn that company suffered and wasn't hiring. Most contacts made during school through networking were laid off/ relocated, so those doors shut as well. Also due to personal considerations (fiancee working in Calgary) I didn't want to leave town and go to Vancouver or Toronto.

Networked like crazy, send out hundreds of emails, went on more coffee meetings than I can count and am glad to report just landed a great gig doing a combo of M&A/Corporate strategy for a large energy company. It took me almost a year to find work (was pretty specific type of work though) and did some out of the box things (including working as a barista part-time at a busy downtown coffee shop in order to network.)

Just wanted to post this for anyone whose feeling down on their luck or unable to find something. Keep at it and be persistent, and definitely follow up with people you network with!

As far as I know, only a handful of people in my graduating class have been able to find work in Alberta. Most have had to move to Toronto or the US to find something.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Marsh
    Networked like crazy, send out hundreds of emails, went on more coffee meetings than I can count
    Not surprising, wherever I go for lunch or coffee, always hear about these meetings with in earshot. There is definitely a lot of networking going on.

My Ride
    X5

Originally posted by Xtrema

Not surprising, wherever I go for lunch or coffee, always hear about these meetings with in earshot. There is definitely a lot of networking going on.
    Yeah I definitely think its a necessary part of the job search strategy. I cold called and cold emailed tons of people, most people are receptive and willing to help. Its just if the market sucks, sometimes there isn't a whole lot they can do.

Originally posted by leftwing
    Curious why you decided to ditch the Master Electrician career and go back to school.
    There was a number of factors.

I thought about trying to get on as an SCO with The City, but it's tough getting you're foot in the door. A Master ticket and a Tech diploma gives you a pretty good shot.

I was self-employed and life threw a monkey wrench at me in terms of a health related issue. My wife and I thought the capital cost it would take to get me off the tools and hire 3-4 employees might be better spent sending me back to school.

Finally, I kinda wanted a change.

Marsh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

At least from what I know grade screenings were done at the initial stage (automatic filter) and the first pass of human screening. This can quickly cut applicants down from thousands to high hundreds and then to low hundreds before narrowing down to batches of tens.
    During the interview, discussion about grades are only used as an ice breaker and won't have too much of an impact, unless there's something unusual going on.

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I don't have my GPA on my resume. Most of the bigger outfits require you apply through their online system. It's a giant PITA, during that application process many ask for your GPA. I don't know if all positions require this but the entry level "new grad" jobs almost always did.

Your right, I don't think the managers of specific departments care much about grades if you have experience. However, your first line is rarely those managers, it's almost always an HR rep that probably knows very little about the requirements of the job beyond what's on paper and uses grades as a quick way to eliminate applicants. Truthfully I don't know if they're actually using grades to do this, but they are asking for them.

How was your experience part timing as barista and network? How did you engage/start the conversation? Guessing the line has to keep moving, ?
    I thought that's pretty bold and ingenious. Did you sense people appreciative that you were doing "whatever it takes" or kinda look down upon you?

Networked like crazy, send out hundreds of emails, went on more coffee meetings than I can count and am glad to report just landed a great gig doing a combo of M&A/Corporate strategy for a large energy company. It took me almost a year to find work (was pretty specific type of work though) and did some out of the box things (including working as a barista part-time at a busy downtown coffee shop in order to network.)

My Ride
    X5

Originally posted by argent
    How was your experience part timing as barista and network? How did you engage/start the conversation? Guessing the line has to keep moving, ?
    I thought that's pretty bold and ingenious. Did you sense people appreciative that you were doing "whatever it takes" or kinda look down upon you?

It was great honestly. I am a bit of a coffee nerd, so learning about brewing/roasting and the entire process was just a bonus for me. But in terms of networking, yes it was busy but you get to see the same faces often and just strike up small chit chat, and hear bits of conversation as well (helpful to filter out engineers/finance ppl/HR etc.) so once I knew who the finance guys were, I just asked a few questions while brewing and was aware of the market so I could make a few comments as well. Some people definitely were intrigued so I told them about myself and they were receptive to meeting for coffee. Other people thought I was nuts, but thats just part of the networking game. Some people will help, others won't.

I'd hardly say it was a "shortcut", but for me it was an out of the box approach to interact with the people I wanted to work with and be noticed.

At first I didn't understand how you could network as a barista. Then I realized how much I talked to the people at my usual Starbucks downtown. And then I remembered that Tim Horton's near my house gave me a x-mas card.

So yeah, I believe it, haha.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

This. When things slowed down for me I got a part time gig working at a tasting room doing a pseudo-bartending gig to fill the time. I learned a shit ton about an industry I'm fascinated with and I met and networked with a surprising amount of O&G people once we got to talking. Always great to think outside of the box and not be afraid to try new things.

It was great honestly. I am a bit of a coffee nerd, so learning about brewing/roasting and the entire process was just a bonus for me. But in terms of networking, yes it was busy but you get to see the same faces often and just strike up small chit chat, and hear bits of conversation as well (helpful to filter out engineers/finance ppl/HR etc.) so once I knew who the finance guys were, I just asked a few questions while brewing and was aware of the market so I could make a few comments as well. Some people definitely were intrigued so I told them about myself and they were receptive to meeting for coffee. Other people thought I was nuts, but thats just part of the networking game. Some people will help, others won't.

I'd hardly say it was a "shortcut", but for me it was an out of the box approach to interact with the people I wanted to work with and be noticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride

Well I just got laid off on Thursday from a 10 year IT job. What bothers me the most is, I'm going to missed the people, and freedom of been on the road on nice summer days. All I got was the company is restructuring, and they selected me even though my work review have been normal, we have others in my team that had negative review in past year, but is not work related they said lol.

I got a package that will have to get review by a labor lawyer before I sign, but I'm trying not to think too much about the times, but this is the first time something like this happens, I was usually the one that resigned, oh well still in shock.

My Ride
    G6

Sorry to hear that. Probably best time of year to get laid off though.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Yep, getting laid off in June is perfect, only thing better is not getting laid off at all. Get your yard in order, do some camping, work on your swing etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Exploded.

It's almost a year when I got laid off. Time flies.

Summer is definitely the best time. I got a lot done during my forced vacation hah.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:17 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Yes I didn't know you can do that lol so badass
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Page 16 of 33 FirstFirst ... 6 15 16 17 26 ... LastLast