Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 5 - Page 29 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Has your office/company laid people off?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people have already been laid off but there will not likely be anymore

29 13.55%
  • Yes, people have already been laid off and there will likely be more.

80 37.38%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet but there will likely be layoffs during the coming months

5 2.34%
  • No, no one has been laid off and there likely won't be any layoffs in the coming months

52 24.30%
  • I WAS laid off but have since found other employment

13 6.07%
  • I WAS laid off and am still looking for other employment

30 14.02%
  • My company went under / other (explain in comments)

5 2.34%
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 5

ughh.. sorry to hear.... which company/industry if u can share?

A good friend of mine just let go from Worley the other day and another one from small private equity firm.
    Also saw it in teh wire taht DEll is shelling out 2-3000 people as their acquisition going through.

Originally posted by adam c
    Put the thread back on track, wife was let go today... stressful

I thought the Conoco layoff day is very soon?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by mr2mike
    I thought the Conoco layoff day is very soon?
    Lots of "retirements" already happened
    Tuesday will be mgmt
    Thursday will be minions

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

30 let go at Altagas yesterday.

We had to let go of a contractor due to some project cancellations and client insolvency.

My Ride

Well I'm officially unemployed, today was my last day returned laptop/ cell. Than we when fishing all afternoon till night perfect activity to end day.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Nexen just put a 2017 new grad EIT position for engineers up on LinkedIn. Those who have graduated in the past 2 years are eligible.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Apparently if a company lays off less than 50 at a time they do not have to report it to the government/UIC ... so some layoffs do not show up. I wonder if there is extra paperwork involved with that?

r
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by reijo
    Apparently if a company lays off less than 50 at a time they do not have to report it to the government/UIC ... so some layoffs do not show up. I wonder if there is extra paperwork involved with that?

r
    50 within 4 weeks need government notification and acknowledgement a month ahead of laidoff.

https://work.alberta.ca/employment-standards/13605.html

So less than 12 laid offs per week and you skip the paper work and delay.

So all you former engineers on here, what's your game plan?

I've been trying non stop to apply for jobs (everywhere, not just AB) and I'm getting 0 positive responses. Not even a single interview.

And these are junior positions too (I'm pretty much at junior/maybe intermed).

I got my P.Eng last year but I've had no job

Seriously not sure what to do anymore. I want to do engineering, even if it's not in O&G but fuck no one even gives me a chance.

I understand that many companies are flooded with resumes...but shit is there any other choice other than spamming?

Even non engineering jobs wont take me

Originally posted by Xtrema

50 within 4 weeks need government notification and acknowledgement a month ahead of laidoff.

https://work.alberta.ca/employment-standards/13605.html

So less than 12 laid offs per week and you skip the paper work and delay.
    there are a few companies going that route. Keeps them out of the newspaper. Not sure if that's better or not.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by mr2mike

there are a few companies going that route. Keeps them out of the newspaper. Not sure if that's better or not.
    Slow leak tends to hurt moral more than a quick cut.

Then again, rounds and rounds of laid off in Calgary downtown for 2 years straight, I don't think O&G moral is any good these days.

Originally posted by Hero_X

I've been trying non stop to apply for jobs (everywhere, not just AB) and I'm getting 0 positive responses. Not even a single interview.

Seriously not sure what to do anymore. I want to do engineering, even if it's not in O&G but fuck no one even gives me a chance.

I understand that many companies are flooded with resumes...but shit is there any other choice other than spamming?

Well I think reinvention is the key. I knew someone who lived thru 90s being an engineer/part time mechanic to full time mechanic to IT guy and back to an engineer/P.Eng 15 years later on that 09-14 cycle and now unemployed again.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 09-12-2016 at 05:45 PM.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Network network network, hit up everyone and not just a LinkedIn message. Grab at least a coffee a week with someone, track people on LinkedIn who work at companies you want to work at, enroll in some classes and use the student angle to meet people.

I went to wait for a 4 month program, and leveraged the hell out of being a student to get meetings with people because they didn't think I was just another person looking for a favor. Go to networking events in town outside of the engineering field (supply chain, IT, etc.) and learn from the people there, act interested and try to think how your skills could help benefit their roles.

It is a long slog, I've had to do it 3 times in my career but every time I got back into work it was through networking, and trying to meet people in ways that others weren't thinking of (including going to accounting events without any accounting background). By listening to others even if I wasn't in their field, I could understand how my role fit with their's, and use that to understand what skills were transferable, and talk to my perspective of issues they might face from a different perspective.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Leave Canada.

I realized how easy I have it in HK. Headhunter firms reach out to candidates proactively and do all the work for me. I didnt have to "apply" for anything directly. Salary is negotiated by your headhunter (makes things easy). Switched jobs recently and had a 25% salary bump. Never even had to update my resume or create some BS cover letter. Got 3 job interviews in 2 weeks (only chose to go to 2), got job offers from both companies, started work 3 weeks after.

As well the headhunters do not charge the employee (me) any fees. All fees are charged to the hiring firm/company.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
    Leave Canada.

I realized how easy I have it in HK. Headhunter firms reach out to candidates proactively and do all the work for me. I didnt have to "apply" for anything directly. Salary is negotiated by your headhunter (makes things easy). Switched jobs recently and had a 25% salary bump. Never even had to update my resume or create some BS cover letter. Got 3 job interviews in 2 weeks (only chose to go to 2), got job offers from both companies, started work 3 weeks after.

As well the headhunters do not charge the employee (me) any fees. All fees are charged to the hiring firm/company.
    What field are you in? From what I understand most comparable HK jobs pay a lot less than in Canada because there's such a huge talent pool it really drives down wages.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I know five guys who are now working out in sand-land.
    Two for Aramco, and three in various parts of Algeria.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    X5

Things are not looking good..I'm not an engineer but know lots of them. Many think the high times in Calgary are over with, and will not come back for many years (if ever). Its just so many factors that are piling up against the industry here in Calgary (Shit gov't, prices, no pipeline, etc.)

A good chunk of engineers I know have packed up and moved stateside (Texas, Oklahoma, etc.) and have found work there. Things are still somewhat ok there, but its just a total death hole for work here in calgary.

I think too many people are over optimistic about the shitty circumstances and the true picture of things in Alberta, ie things will bounce back etc. If your strategy is waiting for an oil price recovery, you'd better come up with a new strategy. As people have mentioned here before, It's probably better to just pack up and move where you can find work using your current skill set...unless your willing to change careers completely.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I am not an engineer by schooling but I've worked a mechanical engineering position for many years.

Using my ei time to go a completely different direction professionally. Out of the office and start working with these hands. I am 37 and feel this is a great time to do it.

If I had my peng I would be working right now in hvac or something boring. There are jobs out there for you ring bearers.

Think hard, print some resumes and hop in your car
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by legendboy

If I had my peng I would be working right now in hvac or something boring. There are jobs out there for you ring bearers.

Think hard, print some resumes and hop in your car
    Kind of, but it's not exactly that simple. It's not like someone who's educated in chemical engineering (and has their experience with that) can go out and apply for an HVAC job. Your P.Eng doesn't mean shit if you can't use it in an applicable field to your education/experience.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I just had a sit down with my president where I was given the option in taking back my old job under my old boss ( which I hated and took me 2.5 years to get out of ) or be let go. They wanted to keep me, but couldn't pull strings to put me anywhere else when pretty well every dept is facing staffing cuts.

I took the old job back... fml

The way I see it is its a live to fight another day decision, and the first thing I did was go to my old boss and tell him I wanted an expanded role with more responsibility and the ability to take on work outside my defined role when possible. Also that I wanted a parking spot lol ( which was a semi-joke response to being told my salary is frozen). Thankful to have a job going forward, but its a bit of a shit sandwich situation for me.

We will see how the next 6 months goes...
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by killramos
    I just had a sit down with my president where I was given the option in taking back my old job under my old boss ( which I hated and took me 2.5 years to get out of ) or be let go. They wanted to keep me, but couldn't pull strings to put me anywhere else when pretty well every dept is facing staffing cuts.

I took the old job back... fml

The way I see it is its a live to fight another day decision, and the first thing I did was go to my old boss and tell him I wanted an expanded role with more responsibility and the ability to take on work outside my defined role when possible. Also that I wanted a parking spot lol ( which was a semi-joke response to being told my salary is frozen). Thankful to have a job going forward, but its a bit of a shit sandwich situation for me.

We will see how the next 6 months goes...
    Will this result in more free time to post on beyond or less?

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast