Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off? PART 5 - Page 18 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Has your office/company laid people off?

Voters
214. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, people have already been laid off but there will not likely be anymore

29 13.55%
  • Yes, people have already been laid off and there will likely be more.

80 37.38%
  • No, no one has been laid off yet but there will likely be layoffs during the coming months

5 2.34%
  • No, no one has been laid off and there likely won't be any layoffs in the coming months

52 24.30%
  • I WAS laid off but have since found other employment

13 6.07%
  • I WAS laid off and am still looking for other employment

30 14.02%
  • My company went under / other (explain in comments)

5 2.34%
Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off? PART 5

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    Folks from Alberta have been bringing entitled and arrogant attitudes out to the island for decades. The roots of the hatred are well founded, IMO.
    Might as well continue the derail...

The Albertans have also been bringing money there with their shitty attitudes. People from small towns in BC that have this hate on for Albertans are being pretty short sighted, given that we're a significant source of their income in tourism based towns (I know we're talking about visiting vs. getting a job there, but I don't think the BC citizens differentiate between the two when they're hatin')

And yes, I realise the irony in my post where I seem like I'm one of the arrogant Albertans.. it's just that this grinds my gears. My parents have a cabin outside Golden and a bunch of the locals don't like Albertans at all, despite the fact that all we do is go there and put money into their local economy.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by nzwasp

When I was looking, Victoria seemed pretty fucking expensive to live compared to the salaries offered.

I wonder if they have more hate for that band of homeless people living on the lawn of the legislature.
    The problem with Vancouver/Victoria/Okanagan is, they are the warmest places we have in Canada and retirement destinations. Especially now US costs 30% more than before. So housing never matches the job market in the 1st place even before the mainlanders showed up.

Now it's just a total shit show for people who makes a living on local economy. So money spent in BC mostly are not generated in BC.

My Ride
    Non Baller Vehicles

Well I got tired of trying to find a non-field position in Calgary/surrounding and bit the bullet...packed all our shit and moved back to Scotland

Similar basic wage, good shift allowance, nice relaxed atmosphere (aviation manufacturing) overtime being thrown at us right now, I'm in my own bed every night, 33 days holiday and just a 15 minute drive to work

Glad I tried North America for a few years, but the whole "live to work" culture in the trades was wearing me thin

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Thanks for dropping in on us buddy. I agree, there are a lot of people who have no idea what the concept of work/life balance means.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

There are service companies now hiring field staff. Things are picking up.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

My company laid off 6, I was one
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by haggis88
    Well I got tired of trying to find a non-field position in Calgary/surrounding and bit the bullet...packed all our shit and moved back to Scotland

Similar basic wage, good shift allowance, nice relaxed atmosphere (aviation manufacturing) overtime being thrown at us right now, I'm in my own bed every night, 33 days holiday and just a 15 minute drive to work

Glad I tried North America for a few years, but the whole "live to work" culture in the trades was wearing me thin
    Hope you enjoyed your 'stay' in Calgary!

I still remember all the tastefully modded Honda's you owned in Scotland!!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Nexen is letting go people.... Long lake, 350 people.

My Ride
    RSTi

Originally posted by argent
    Nexen is letting go people.... Long lake, 350 people.
    How many people total on that site approximately?

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

O&G Service here... Historically very steady, but Im noticing more and more layoffs recently.
    Last edited by Joe-G; 08-05-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

^ I'm surprised it's taken this long. Last week heard from an executive at a rig contractor that they signed a contract for one of their rigs at $12,500 USD a day. He also mentioned it was worse in Canada (one small outfit went as low as $8500USD per day).

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    ^ I'm surprised it's taken this long. Last week heard from an executive at a rig contractor that they signed a contract for one of their rigs at $12,500 USD a day. He also mentioned it was worse in Canada (one small outfit went as low as $8500USD per day).
    How's Houston Brian? Always forget to check up on you.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30

How's Houston Brian? Always forget to check up on you.
    Good so far! Missing friends, family, mountains and the outdoors but we've found it pretty nice down here.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    As a non OG person, what does this mean?

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

Originally posted by adam c

As a non OG person, what does this mean?
    Those companies are losing money to run their rigs just to keep the iron running and people working. I'd have to lean on someone who has worked in the drilling contractor market to fill in the historical data, but I believe rig rates in 2012-2014 were near $50,000 per day.

My Ride
    '10 Civic

Originally posted by legendboy
    My company laid off 6, I was one
    sorry to hear that man, hopefully you can regroup quick and find something new. Or take a big vacay!

My Ride
    my bike

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle30913518/

Curious what implications, if any, this has for people who have been laid off, or for companies going forward.

Workers cannot be fired without a justification in the non-unionized federally regulated sector, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled 6-3 on Thursday.

The ruling potentially affects thousands of employees in the federally-regulated sector, which includes banks, telecommunications companies and some Crown corporations.

The case was initiated by Joseph Wilson, a procurement supervisor for Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. (AECL) after he was fired in 2009. He claimed his dismissal was in reprisal for blowing the whistle on corrupt procurement practices at the Crown corporation. AECL gave him nearly six months severance pay, which was more than the minimum of 18 days the-then 38-year-old was entitled to by federal law for the four years he had been employed at the corporation.

In 1978, Ottawa changed the Canada Labour Code to give non-unionized federally-regulated workers the right to challenge a dismissal they felt was unjust. But the law did not define the meaning of “unjust.” Mr. Wilson argued that Parliament intended to give these workers job-security protection similar to that enjoyed by unionized workers, who must not be fired without “just cause” – such as misconduct, incompetence or conflict of interest. “

The text, the context, the statements of the Minister of Labour when the legislation was introduced, and the views of the overwhelming majority of arbitrators and labour law scholars, confirm that the entire purpose of the statutory scheme was to ensure that non‑unionized federal employees would be entitled to protection from being dismissed without cause,” Justice Rosalie Abella wrote for the majority.

AECL contended that it had the right to dismiss Mr. Wilson without providing a justification for it. “The Code recognizes the right of employers to dismiss without cause,” AECL said in a filing with the Supreme Court. But it added that the recognition is implicit.

A labour adjudicator who heard Mr. Wilson’s complaint ruled in his favour. But AECL appealed the ruling to the Federal Court of Canada, which ruled against Mr. Wilson. The Federal Court of Appeal upheld that ruling, and Mr. Wilson appealed to the Supreme Court.

The Canadian Labour Congress intervened to argue in support of a federally-regulated worker’s right to protection from being fired without just cause, similar to the right that unionized workers have.
    Last edited by 98type_r; 07-14-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 8 17 18 19 28 ... LastLast