Quantcast
Man landing on the moon. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Man landing on the moon.

Default Man landing on the moon.

Here is something I didn't even think of, in order to cool the spacesuits and landing module, they would need to have enough reflectivity, insulation and power to dissipate the heat.

Assuming in full sun with no atmosphere, 250 degrees would be the amount that would have to be dissipated would be a daunting task. Using electrical batteries (which create heat themselves even when discharging) would not be possible. Since there is no atmosphere, its not like you can use ventilation fans, besides the fact that if there was atmosphere - you would have to intake outside air at 250 degrees and somehow cool it to human tolerances.

I'm beginning to think that a 2050 China attempt is just plain silliness unless they somehow alter the laws of physics.

One idea, is that it could burrow under the surface, which should be much cooler.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-03-2016 at 10:52 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

It's a car that runs on water, man...

Did you really waste an hour of your life watching that bullshit?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

And the only exhaust is clean water vapor!
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by Super_Geo
    Did you really waste an hour of your life watching that bullshit?
    They do make some pretty good points.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Next up, the 6000 year old earth.

Thank you stupid Americans !!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Space: -270c
    Sun: 250c

Problem solved?

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Space: -270c
    Sun: 250c

Problem solved?
    Pretty much. Temps on the moon can vary by 200*F during a lunar day. They landed at dawn, it's not like they were their in the middle of the hottest time on the surface. The suits were designed to reflect light, preventing most of the heat transfer. Insulted boots handled the rest. And mind you, that's pretty much just surface temperature and direct radiation from the sun, their is no air therefore no air temperature. Buzz Aldrin actually remarked on being cold at one point and had to change the thermal control on his suit, the temperatures when they were there varied from 180 in direct sunlight to -160 in the shadows. Pretty nuts, but also manageable.

I does make me wonder why no one has ever done a lunar orbit since then.

We can get to zero gravity at the space station easy. At that point, it takes a miniscule amount of propulsion to accelerate to thousands of miles per hour. And yet no one has bothered to do a roundabout of the moon.

There are Hollywood types who are willing to pay millions to go to space, but millions more to do a roundtrip of the moon. According to Nasa, its really quite easy once you have made it to space. If someone dies up there from radiation poisoning, could Nasa be sued for misrepresentation?

The US for a solid decade billed the man on the moon mission as one of the most important achievements of humankind, something that every nation should aspire to (instead of aspiring to build nukes I'm guessing)

Well, I'm aspiring - but can't quite figure it out? Why is Nasa being such a dickwad and not sharing technology that was designed to lift up the entire of mankind? Either they didn't make it, or they are being cornhole dickwads for keeping secrets that can expand all humankind under wraps. You can't have it both ways.

BTW: I'm pretty sure China might try an around the moon mission, probably with a gerbil or monkey, in 2050, it would not be a landing - at least not on the first try.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-03-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-24-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Since the last Apollo mission, no living creature has been around the moon, to be more accurate, no living creature has been more than 400 miles above earth. That's fourty years of "progress".

If you want to "lift up mankind" with great achievements like climbing mount Everest, the first guy to do it is always memorable - but usually after that you have hundred than thousands of others who do the same.

Anyone would have to admit, that in itself might be an indicator that something is wrong.

Its like the US put a man on the moon, and then everyone else just said "Damn, great job son", but that looks a little too high - I won't try. In which case, the man on the moon missions were the *greatest failures* in attempting to "lift up mankind" because no one aspired to it in nearly fifty years (so far)
    Last edited by ZenOps; 04-03-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 04:53 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Why don't you look for yourself... pretty easy to prove it happened

There is no doubt that rovers have landed on the moon. They did find Lunokhod I as well (even though the technology did not exist at the time to track it, they did eventually find visual proof of it in 2010)

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 04:53 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Since the last Apollo mission, no living creature has been around the moon, to be more accurate, no living creature has been more than 400 miles above earth. That's fourty years of "progress".
    The average speed of the typical airliner (even excluding concorde) has actually SLOWED the last 30 years. Thats also an example of failure to innovate.

Essentially, ships, cars, planes all move about as fast as they did 40-50 years ago

My Ride
    AP1 / CRV

Originally posted by revelations

The average speed of the typical airliner (even excluding concorde) has actually SLOWED the last 30 years. Thats also an example of failure to innovate.

Essentially, ships, cars, planes all move about as fast as they did 40-50 years ago
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...lmost-30-years

there's still innovation

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

Default Re: Man landing on the moon.

Originally posted by ZenOps

Here is something I didn't even think of, in order to cool the spacesuits and landing module, they would need to have enough reflectivity, insulation and power to dissipate the heat.

I have a friend (until he put an LS into his 944 that is) who worked as a junior engineer in Houston on this very issue. They (Loral) had vacuum chamber with sand mixed to the same reflectivity as lunar soil ( measured by the Surveyor missions) a wall of quartz spot lights and a lunar suit they moved around with cables. One 2 AM run less 10 days before launch they found a crater shape that would focus the light and cook the astronaut in a moment. The NASA mission director was hauled out of bed and brought in a fighter from Florida to Houston to see a test rerun. Loral proposed a 1lb detector for the suit, they were told that the flight was out of "1 more pounds" and to write a guide of crater shapes to avoid.

America spent 3-5% of GDP for 3 years in a perfect storm for the memory of JFK's dream and to beat the Soviets who were burning cash as much to do the same in a ship that had a less than 1 in 20 of making it back. If you go to a space museum and look at the flight plan - it's in pencil because there wasn't time to type it.

There was no classes for 3 days ...we watched the TV coverage then ran home to watch more...I recall the feeling of looking at a daytime moon and wishing I could see them

Our Priest was excommunicated for sermonizing against the launches into Gods domain, NASA has a letter of permission from the Pope.

you weren't there or then ZenOps go see some of the real history, not the lost who make shows like that.
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

You're one of those kinds of people.

I heard the Apollo 11 crew lost a nickel on the moon...

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast