Quantcast
2016 Track Junkies Lapping (Castrol Raceway) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Track Junkies Lapping (Castrol Raceway)

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Default 2016 Track Junkies Lapping (Castrol Raceway)

The first lapping day of the year is coming up on April 29th!

Anyone else planning to attend some of these events?

Thought I'd give it a share here since it hasn't been shared yet.

Events/Registration link: https://www.motorsportreg.com/orgs/trackjunkies

Photo by: Kevin Chow

I'll be there this year. Won't make the 29th though so it's looking like May 23 is my first day.

My Ride
    DC2

I've registered for May.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

I want to but Itd be as an instructor. These are great events to start out in.

Being on weekdays I've never been able to show up at these, but this year my work is a bit more flexible so I'm hoping to have time to instruct at a few.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Planning to be at a few events. Baseline for the S2000 this year for me. Have a goal in mind for this car for a lap time eventually.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
    Planning to be at a few events. Baseline for the S2000 this year for me. Have a goal in mind for this car for a lap time eventually.
    What do you think you/the car is good for? High 1:20s?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Joe-G

What do you think you/the car is good for? High 1:20s?
    Not currently but my goal is under 1:30 for 2017 I think. Going to take more seat time, and most likely some mods that aren't going to happen this year.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Yep I'm considering it. Wife won't be thrilled with me if I got to Utah and race the Ford performance school three days before and then go to Castrol. Lol.

Need baselines though.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Ram

i`ll be there victoria day weekend

Not currently but my goal is under 1:30 for 2017 I think. Going to take more seat time, and most likely some mods that aren't going to happen this year.
    What do you have for mods because that goal is very doable for a stockish s2k as long as you are willing to buy decent tires, and have one mod.

The nice thing about Castrol is there are a few quirks about that track that will shave off crazy amounts of time with minimum effort.

Almost everyone takes a few corners completely wrong too, and while the kink is very hard to get right, the other two corners are almost impossible to screw up once you understand what everyone else is doing wrong.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Hardparker checking in....

Maybe I will come up and spectate a few events haha...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by zhao

What do you have for mods because that goal is very doable for a stockish s2k as long as you are willing to buy decent tires, and have one mod.

The nice thing about Castrol is there are a few quirks about that track that will shave off crazy amounts of time with minimum effort.

Almost everyone takes a few corners completely wrong too, and while the kink is very hard to get right, the other two corners are almost impossible to screw up once you understand what everyone else is doing wrong.
    245/45/16 RE11A, Hawk HP+ and a Karcepts front sway bar.

My Ride
    NB8C

Originally posted by zhao

Please do share the quirks and common mistakes

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

Originally posted by k1l4m

Please do share the quirks and common mistakes

Corner 4 everyone attempts to do a conventional line here starting on the outside of the track and coming down gradually inside. This is slower, and in road racing gives me a guaranteed pass on you. Why this is because the track is highest in the middle, and having any wheel of your car across the centerline of the track makes you corner off camber. Your corner speed therefore has to be far lower to corner than if you hug the inside of the center line on this corner. The whole track is paved like this but this is the corner it affects you the most.

Corner 3 people get this wrong too. The fastest line here is to get down low, preferably at the start and hug it low until the apex and then track out. You should also be gasing it in this corner until your car starts to push up the track to find your edge of adhesion. Everyone I've instructed to date totally underestimates the speed you can go in this corner and how much faster the low line is.

The kink... this is a corner that exits onto a big straight. That means you want to put the power down early, and this means you should be heavily putting the power down before the apex. You need to get the majority of your turning done before you apex so you have the grip to WOT. To do this you may need to turn your car with weight transfer for extra rotation. It'll also likely involve a heel toe downshift under high gs for most cars. My race car is extremely under powered, meaning it should suck on the straights, and I actually pass a lot of people after the kink because I'm exiting so much faster.

A quirk of this track is corner speed is more valuable here for shaving off lap times than even a gokart track like stratotech was. Power is always useful here but tires alone can mean literally a 10 second a lap difference. Aero is effective basically everywhere too. Buying a set of tires could literally be if more value than triple digits in hp. A properly setup suspension and An alignment enabling you to use all your tire can be big too.

My Ride
    E90, FD, STI

245/45/16 RE11A, Hawk HP+ and a Karcepts front sway bar.
    If you bought rcomps, preferably something like a hankook z214 or hoosiers and a set of coilovers (to get prob -2.5 and -1.5 camber rear at the least) I'd say your car should be capable of 128s, maybe 127s. you could basically just get seat time and as long as you are improving you should break into 129s eventually just with driver skill, if not right away.

I'm deep into the 129s with a 2600lb 1986 rx7 with coils, 245wide z214s, an exhaust and intake. Now exhausts do a lot for rotaries but this car came with 146hp from the factory so my power to weight ratio is not exactly great even though my car is lighter.

My car also has a 30 year old chassis which isn't cutting edge in the handling department
    Last edited by Zhao Kan; 04-09-2016 at 07:10 PM.

My Ride
    NB8C

Originally posted by Zhao Kan

Corner 4 everyone attempts to do a conventional line here starting on the outside of the track and coming down gradually inside. This is slower, and in road racing gives me a guaranteed pass on you. Why this is because the track is highest in the middle, and having any wheel of your car across the centerline of the track makes you corner off camber. Your corner speed therefore has to be far lower to corner than if you hug the inside of the center line on this corner. The whole track is paved like this but this is the corner it affects you the most.

Corner 3 people get this wrong too. The fastest line here is to get down low, preferably at the start and hug it low until the apex and then track out. You should also be gasing it in this corner until your car starts to push up the track to find your edge of adhesion. Everyone I've instructed to date totally underestimates the speed you can go in this corner and how much faster the low line is.

The kink... this is a corner that exits onto a big straight. That means you want to put the power down early, and this means you should be heavily putting the power down before the apex. You need to get the majority of your turning done before you apex so you have the grip to WOT. To do this you may need to turn your car with weight transfer for extra rotation. It'll also likely involve a heel toe downshift under high gs for most cars. My race car is extremely under powered, meaning it should suck on the straights, and I actually pass a lot of people after the kink because I'm exiting so much faster.

A quirk of this track is corner speed is more valuable here for shaving off lap times than even a gokart track like stratotech was. Power is always useful here but tires alone can mean literally a 10 second a lap difference. Aero is effective basically everywhere too. Buying a set of tires could literally be if more value than triple digits in hp. A properly setup suspension and An alignment enabling you to use all your tire can be big too.
    Thanks for the pointers! Similar to the advice given by my instructor during my first time on the track who also races (or raced) an rx7

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Zhao Kan

If you bought rcomps, preferably something like a hankook z214 or hoosiers and a set of coilovers (to get prob -2.5 and -1.5 camber rear at the least) I'd say your car should be capable of 128s, maybe 127s. you could basically just get seat time and as long as you are improving you should break into 129s eventually just with driver skill, if not right away.

I'm deep into the 129s with a 2600lb 1986 rx7 with coils, 245wide z214s, an exhaust and intake. Now exhausts do a lot for rotaries but this car came with 146hp from the factory so my power to weight ratio is not exactly great even though my car is lighter.

My car also has a 30 year old chassis which isn't cutting edge in the handling department
    Thanks for the info. I actually no longer own the car as of today, but got something similar.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by EK 2.0
    Hardparker checking in....

Maybe I will come up and spectate a few events haha...
    Roadtrip?
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by Canmorite

Roadtrip?
    I would be down man!!...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

Originally posted by EK 2.0

I would be down man!!...
    Doo it!