Quantcast
GM will warranty your Camaro for track use - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: GM will warranty your Camaro for track use

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default GM will warranty your Camaro for track use

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...to-a-racetrack

Chevrolet stands behind the engineering of the sixth-generation Camaro, so much so, in fact, that it will honor the warranty if you take your Camaro to a track day. "That's pride of craftsmanship that we know it will stand up to track use," said Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser, in an interview at the New York Auto Show.

There are some restrictions, though. The car must not be modified, and it must be an SS model or above.

"If you're not modifying your car and you take your production car to a track day and you have an issue with one of your parts, it's covered under warranty," Oppenheiser said. "We know when somebody changes their ECM calibration and we know if they changed to a cold-air intake, we can tell all that. But driving it as you break it in from the dealership, if you have a half-shaft or whatever, it's covered."
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Geeuz hell... Has to be a SS and non modified but still!

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I don't know why this is special? Why would you tell them (or why would they know) you've been at a track day?

My Ride
    G37X

Let's see how ford replies ...insert crickets

They can tell based on various things. Condition of tires, brake pads, fluid etc. Not too difficult. Plus I'm sure that the ECU logs hard braking etc.
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 04-05-2016 at 10:17 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    I don't know why this is special? Why would you tell them (or why would they know) you've been at a track day?
    I guarantee you the computer in that car is data logging everything going on.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 08:28 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Originally posted by firebane
    Geeuz hell... Has to be a SS and non modified but still!
    SS or above meaning SS, ZL1, Z28, etc.

Not the base V6.
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    Let's see how ford replies ...insert crickets

They can tell based on various things. Condition of tires, brake pads, fluid etc. Not too difficult. Plus I'm sure that the ECU logs hard braking etc.
    They will most likely respond with free towing from the track to the nearest dealership.

Last edited by Cos; 12-20-2016 at 08:28 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Cos
    I believe this is also the vehicle where they said they had to engineer in a 'catch can' style system into the PVC because oil being recirculated was causing too much pre-detonation. Pretty impressive vehicle.
    I wish more factory vehicles came with catch cans. I guess it's another service part that may get neglected and cause issues though. I had a buddy with a WRX and his froze solid in the winter.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Is warranty even an issue for track use? Unless you're a Porsche or Subaru owner I assumed that the manufacturer DGAF about track use?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Cos

C'mon Cos, folks don't have time to actually read the article these days. Just headlines plz.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

The only valid condition they can evaluate is that of the ECU, and even then, they have no way of knowing unless it also logs, I don't know, GPS co-ordinates?

Have you ever raced a car in your life? Please explain to me how you can definitively prove using the condition of the brake pads, tires, fluid, etc that the vehicle was used on track? It's not like the track leaves magical deposits on these things. "Yep, that looks like wear and tear on a car".

Mechanics aren't some magical beings that can decipher wear from hard driving on the street vs wear from on a track, jeez louise guys They can certainly make an educated guess, but that is it. Especially if we are talking toast wheel bearings, driveshafts, cv axles, etc, they can't whip out their magnifying glass and go "AHA! Clearly this was abuse at the track due to XYZ, we have the prooves!"

My Ride
    G37X

The only valid condition they can evaluate is that of the ECU, and even then, they have no way of knowing unless it also logs, I don't know, GPS co-ordinates?

Have you ever raced a car in your life? Please explain to me how you can definitively prove using the condition of the brake pads, tires, fluid, etc that the vehicle was used on track? It's not like the track leaves magical deposits on these things. "Yep, that looks like wear and tear on a car".

Mechanics aren't some magical beings that can decipher wear from hard driving on the street vs wear from on a track, jeez louise guys They can certainly make an educated guess, but that is it. Especially if we are talking toast wheel bearings, driveshafts, cv axles, etc, they can't whip out their magnifying glass and go "AHA! Clearly this was abuse at the track due to XYZ, we have the prooves!"

It doesn't matter. What they say goes generally. If they "think" you abused the car. Guess what? You're not getting warranty. Unless you make a big stink with GM Canada and even then, no guarantee. They have the power, not joe new car owner.

It's the same concept as being pulled over by a cop. He will write you a ticket based on what he "thinks" and hopefully can prove in court should you challenge him. He doesn't have to make sure that you agree with his assessment of your driving habits.

And to answer your questions. Yep. At Race City track day/drag racing, 2 AM Mexico racing, Auto X. It's pretty easy to tell from the edge of a tire if it's been cornered hard repeatedly on hot pavement. You shouldn't be so quick to assume someones credentials dude..
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 04-05-2016 at 12:02 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by rage2
    Is warranty even an issue for track use? Unless you're a Porsche or Subaru owner I assumed that the manufacturer DGAF about track use?
    Didn't BMW make a big stink a few years ago about owner's tracking new M3's?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Didn't BMW make a big stink a few years ago about owner's tracking new M3's?
    Lazy dealers that don't know any better and not check with corporate might deny you, but there's no issues with BMW warranty for track days (that I'm aware of).

I'm still blown away that Porsche denies warranty on track days haha. So ridiculous.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by rage2
    Lazy dealers that don't know any better and not check with corporate might deny you, but there's no issues with BMW warranty for track days (that I'm aware of).

I'm still blown away that Porsche denies warranty on track days haha. So ridiculous.
    Ah I see. Talk about false advertising. Although, I've yet to see a Porsche owner in Calgary hit a corner hard banging gears. Isn't that the whole point in owing a 911? If it's a status symbol, buy a bentley.

My Ride
    starts with a screwdriver...

When I worked at Ferrari we could tell an INSANE amount about the car just by plugging it in to our SDIII computer. Clutch temperatures/over heating, gear box, electronic differential settings etc... its not hard to know if a car has been raced/tracked to a dealer. I was a great way for us to void/cancel Ferrari's power cube warranty...
    I MAKE BALLER CARS MORE BALLER.....