Quantcast
Accident question - other guy has expired insurance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Accident question - other guy has expired insurance

Default Accident question - other guy has expired insurance

So I was coming home from dinner and there were dual right turns on 5th ave n macleod trail. As the light turns green I began to proceed to turn, and the vehicle to the right of me decided to just go straight. I slammed the brakes and honked but it was too late. He hit my head lights and front bumper and then he turned right.

Pulled over got his info (just took pics of his license plate and insurance card) and got his license no.

Got home and took a look at the insurance card pic and realized his insurance is expired.

Am i fucked? I didn't see this when i saw the card in person...

I did get his license no. and plate number though. But not sure if that's good enough if he's carrying expired insurance?

Plz help

He may have just had an old pink card in the glove box and didn't realize he was showing you the old one

Report it to your insurance, they will follow up with his insurance company and sort it out.

If you have his license number & plate number, not sure what you're worried about ? Police can track him down if necessary
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

I'm just paranoid...

thanks for ur input

Sounds like you did your due diligence, i wouldn't worry too much over it.

I've given a cop expired insurance before (and he gave me shit about keeping old pink cards in my glove box )
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    I've given a cop expired insurance before (and he gave me shit about keeping old pink cards in my glove box )
    I keep it all in a pile with the most recent / valid one on top in one of those clear folder things; a cop gave me shit about even keeping the old ones saying its illegal.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    06 S2000

I was also told it's illegal to have multiple pink slips in the vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    You're right about that. I guess it's similar to keeping old licenses or other forms of ID on you.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

OP, you've got nothing to worry about. It's amazing at how many people are cruising around with expired pink cards. I can count on one hand though the number of my clients over 16 years that have been in an accident where the other person actually didn't have insurance.
    Last edited by Masked Bandit; 04-06-2016 at 04:36 PM.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Thanks for ur input everyone..

So my insurance company contacted his and it turns out the card he showed me was invalid. The policy they did have on file for him, had ended back in february...

So now not sure if he has other policy with someone else for the vehicle or not. Hopefully he does cuz my insurance company said if he doesn't, I will have to cover my deductible, even if I'm not at fault.

Originally posted by Hero_X
    Thanks for ur input everyone..

So my insurance company contacted his and it turns out the card he showed me was invalid. The policy they did have on file for him, had ended back in february...

So now not sure if he has other policy with someone else for the vehicle or not. Hopefully he does cuz my insurance company said if he doesn't, I will have to cover my deductible, even if I'm not at fault.

Might be well worth your time to file an accident report with CPS..

Make sure you contact the driver and find out if he has other insurance. If not, I'd tell him to pay for your damage in cash or you'll be calling Police - where they will issue him a $2500.00 ticket for driving without insurance. ;-)

In Alberta...

If your vehicle is uninsured and you drive or park it on any public or private road, alley or parking lot, you may be charged with “Driving without Insurance.” You will receive a fine of no less than $2,500 for a first offence and a mandatory jail term if you are charged a second time within 1 year.

So you know...try some blackmail first!

I've had something similar happen.

Driver hit my car and kept on driving hoping to lose me since i was facing the other direction. I was able to chase him down and corner him in a dead end. Called the cops, they came but i don't think he even got a ticket and only gave him a warning or some shit. He had insurance paper (which was technically valid but the policy was for thief and fire not for driving the car). Cops can't tell the difference so they accepted it.

Come time to claim my insurance, they told me he didn't have collision insurance and i had to pay the deductible (as well it would count against an at fault accident claim). The insurance company did chase after the driver and eventually he did pay for the damages but i'd be shit out of luck if he decided not to pay. If the damage is less than 2k, i was told by the insurance company wouldn't go after him.

During all that, i contacted the police who arrived at the scene, they weren't willing to do anything to charge him for driving without a insurance after the fact.

Anyways, hope it works out for you.
    Last edited by nitram; 04-06-2016 at 03:32 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Z_Fan
    Make sure you contact the driver and find out if he has other insurance. If not, I'd tell him to pay for your damage in cash or you'll be calling Police - where they will issue him a $2500.00 ticket for driving without insurance. ;-)

In Alberta...

If your vehicle is uninsured and you drive or park it on any public or private road, alley or parking lot, you may be charged with “Driving without Insurance.” You will receive a fine of no less than $2,500 for a first offence and a mandatory jail term if you are charged a second time within 1 year.

So you know...try some blackmail first!
    Why bother? I'm assuming if OP contacted his insurer and the insurer is doing all this work for him that he has full coverage. He's not at fault for it so it won't count as a claim, and his insurance company will just sue the guy directly.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    You're right about that. I guess it's similar to keeping old licenses or other forms of ID on you.
    Old thread that referenced this from an actual cop:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=283372

Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
    Ill try and help here....lots of mis information:-

Under the old MVAA (Motor Vehicle Administration act) You could be fined $28.00 for having an old pink card on you.

In 2003/04 The TSA (Traffic Safety Act) replaced that entire act, along with several others. This act is still legislated. There is NO fine for producing an expired pink slip.....however if you produce insurance for a policy not in effect (say you policy was cancelled but the pink card shows it to be good)...you will find yourself in court.

The fine for not producing upon demand is $172.oo and NO demerits.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Sounds to me like significant damage. Doesn't one have to have a police report filed in order to get repairs from any shop anyway?

Plus getting them involved is going to do nothing but help you resolve this situation, if anything.

Thanks everyone,

I filed the report with the police. Let's hope it all works out. I'm just worried he may not have valid insurance. It will just be a lengthy process.

Last edited by Amysicle; 12-06-2019 at 09:51 PM.

Originally posted by Amysicle
    I've noticed there are quite a few cars driving around with out of date registration stickers these days and I'm wondering if they're driving around without insurance as well.
    I belong to a couple of Facebook groups for the community in which I live plus the neighbouring area, and there have been reports of people having the '2016' sticker removed/stolen from their license plates. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

Side note: not sure why anyone would steal the '2016' sticker. Many times, police don't just look at the year sticker; they run the entire plate to see if it's expired, if it matches the car that it's on, and if the registered owner might have outstanding warrants.

Unless people are stealing the stickers mostly to try to avoid having neighbours notify the parking authority about their (technically) unregistered vehicle parked on the street

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Keep us updated OP, curious how it works out. Good luck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast