Quantcast
Florida road rage incident - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Florida road rage incident

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Car driver certainly escalated the situation. To respond like that after a lane filter is asinine.

After that, they both turn into idiots.

The Fusion driver reminds me of how some Albertans would respond in the same situation.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    Car driver certainly escalated the situation. To respond like that after a lane filter is asinine.

After that, they both turn into idiots.

The Fusion driver reminds me of how some Albertans would respond in the same situation.
    Yup, people are dickholes here when it comes to filtering. I've had people steer into the line to try and squeeze me off many times. My cousin has had someone open their door into him, and another try and grab him through their window.

What these idiots don't realize, is if you just let bikes filter to the front and take off, traffic is better for everyone.

Originally posted by cjblair

Yup, people are dickholes here when it comes to filtering. I've had people steer into the line to try and squeeze me off many times. My cousin has had someone open their door into him, and another try and grab him through their window.

What these idiots don't realize, is if you just let bikes filter to the front and take off, traffic is better for everyone.
    This isn't San Francisco, lane splitting here isn't going to reduce shit. Its just a lame excuse for the tiny percent of motorcyclists arrogant enough to actually do it to skip traffic.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    MR2

True, traffic is here is so little and the percentage of motorcycles is tiny, so lane splitting really won't make any difference to anyone. It's illegal in Florida as well, although most people don't care. Hence why the cop in the video didn't pull the biker over. I'm sure they saw him. With the traffic they have there, they could really benefit from it. 8 beleive the main reason they don't legalize it is because the state gets about 100 million tourists a year, and lane splitting could really confuse people from different states/countries.

I still lane split here from time to time at stoplights if I see an open space. I just wave my hand as a thank you, and have never had any driver give me shit for it. Never in moving traffic though, as I've never needed to. Traffic is so little that there's always open spaces somewhere.
    Last edited by MR2-3SGTE; 04-09-2016 at 09:32 AM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by 962 kid

This isn't San Francisco, lane splitting here isn't going to reduce shit. Its just a lame excuse for the tiny percent of motorcyclists arrogant enough to actually do it to skip traffic.
    Well, a couple things...

I go by two defintions. Lane splitting (at speed) and lane filtering (proceeding to stop line at a red light). Splitting probably isn't needed. Filtering would be nice.

Filtering cuts down on the length of stopped, stacked traffic at a red light, possibly reducing other traffic from stacking into another intersection. I find it to be just more efficient use of the roadway.

The other thing that it completely eliminates is danger from the "crush zone." - The spot where a rider is crushed into the car in front in the case of a rear end collision.

I found this post on AO Forum and thought it was pretty good.

It's probably worth adding the legal justification California uses to permit lane splitting (which is better called "lane sharing", though that term seems to have fallen out of favour). Essentially, lane sharing is done all the time, by motorcycles, cars, trucks, etc. Ever squeezed passed a bicycle in the curb (or single) lane? That's lane sharing/splitting. Ever pass a bus that's pulled over to drop off/pick up passengers, but is sticking a foot into the roadway? Lane splitting. Pass a wide tractor on a rural road with a double yellow center line? Same. California simply recognizes that there are many situations where allowing lane sharing is both safe and effective at allowing traffic to flow.
    EDIT: Another post made by the same person.
    After riding in California for ~20 years, it feels like a very huge step backwards riding in Alberta. I don't miss lane splitting so much - but not being able to filter is huge, as it means that I'm a sitting duck in the "crush zone" if someone decides to start checking their emails or texting while rolling up to the red light.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    ute

Originally filtering was permitted in hot states because the shitty old aircooled Harleys would over-heat in stop-go traffic.

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

Well, a couple things...

I go by two defintions. Lane splitting (at speed) and lane filtering (proceeding to stop line at a red light). Splitting probably isn't needed. Filtering would be nice.

Filtering cuts down on the length of stopped, stacked traffic at a red light, possibly reducing other traffic from stacking into another intersection. I find it to be just more efficient use of the roadway.

The other thing that it completely eliminates is danger from the "crush zone." - The spot where a rider is crushed into the car in front in the case of a rear end collision.

I found this post on AO Forum and thought it was pretty good.

EDIT: Another post made by the same person.
    LOL motorcyclists always have some bs safety related excuse for them to act like assholes. Rev engine on 17th ave - its for safety so drivers see them, split lanes - its for safety

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 04:48 PM.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by RY213

LOL motorcyclists always have some bs safety related excuse for them to act like assholes. Rev engine on 17th ave - its for safety so drivers see them, split lanes - its for safety
    Well, I guess instead of thinking logically about it as a rider, your thinking emotionally about it as a driver.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    HIGHBEAM ONCOMING TRAFFIC ALL THE TIME SO PEOPLE CAN SEE MEEEEEEEEEE!!!

If I was in a car, I'd be a douche... but as a biker, it's for safety!
    I don't do the whole "highbeam always on" but I did do it for my class 6 road test. The examiner said it was a very good idea for daytime.

The whole debate around this centres on daytime use of highbeams for visibility reasons. I'm not sure what the answer is.

Using that rule at nighttime would be really stupid though.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    2GR-FE Hethel, 14W246, 13W251, 06NC, 02Aerio

That driver is a douche - glad he is still in jail.
    But damn that Fusion is quick.
    Insurance Pro

My Ride
    G37X

I don't ride, but I always try and keep an eye out for two wheeled enthusiasts. I'm often worried when I have a bike behind me at a light that some muppet is going to slam them into me as they're text head bobbing. Lane splitting makes sense period. Why do we want to make travel more dangerous for motorcycles? It's bad enough being in a car around all the space cases..I can't imagine being on a bike.

My Ride
    Miss Daisy

Interesting point, the distinction between splitting and filtering. I agree that while there is no real advantage to splitting here (YYC) most of the time, filtering does improve the flow of traffic and reduces volume.

While returning from Ghost Dam with the boys last year, we hit a major backup at the 22 junction. We decided to get on the shoulder and slowly and safely pass the stopped cars. On two occasions, one of the vehicles deliberately swerved into the shoulder to prevent us from passing. I suppose they were frustrated that we were bypassing the traffic while they had to wait. Fair enough, but why vigilante?

I think the bigger issue is that North American drivers in general aren't as aware of their surroundings as those in other countries. In most South American countries, for example, anything can happen at any time on the roads because there is blatant disregard for traffic laws since they are rarely enforced. As a result, drivers have to have an acute awareness of everyone else on the road.

Here, however, most people expect there to be a certain sacred space around their vehicles which they feel is being violated when motorcycles lane split or filter. Case in point, if you even approach someone else's lane (in a car or bike), they'll usually lose it, start blatantly honking and flip you off. Outside of North America, they just move out of your way or may at most give you a light tap of the horn to say "hey buddy, guess you didn't see me "

www.industrialelements.ca

=====> Facebook - Like our page for promos, inventory, and shipment updates

=====> Instagram

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by RY213

Get a grip. You seriously can't distinguish between riders being dickheads, and riders pottering up to the front of the line at a light? LOL is right.

Originally posted by cjblair

Get a grip. You seriously can't distinguish between riders being dickheads, and riders pottering up to the front of the line at a light? LOL is right.
    Most riders I see are complete douchebags, not talking about the responsible minority. right back at you

I don't care if bikes lane split/filter it's no skin off my back. People are just way too uptight and territorial when they get behind the wheel.

Last edited by know1edge; 08-16-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Originally posted by Christian@IE
    Interesting point, the distinction between splitting and filtering. I agree that while there is no real advantage to splitting here (YYC) most of the time, filtering does improve the flow of traffic and reduces volume.

While returning from Ghost Dam with the boys last year, we hit a major backup at the 22 junction. We decided to get on the shoulder and slowly and safely pass the stopped cars. On two occasions, one of the vehicles deliberately swerved into the shoulder to prevent us from passing. I suppose they were frustrated that we were bypassing the traffic while they had to wait. Fair enough, but why vigilante?
    You realize that almost all cars and trucks could jump in the shoulder and skip traffic as well? What you were doing was illegal and the other vehicles on the road chose not to. That's just being super douchy in my mind.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by Type_S1

You realize that almost all cars and trucks could jump in the shoulder and skip traffic as well? What you were doing was illegal and the other vehicles on the road chose not to. That's just being super douchy in my mind.
    A cyclist would have done the same, whether on a highway or city street. They always filter.

Does anyone get upset over cyclists that filter? Or just motorcycles?
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    ute

Cyclists filtering is far more annoying than a motorcyclist doing it.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Man, there are some butt hurt drivers in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My car sounds like shit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast