Quantcast
Opinions on garage lighting. - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on garage lighting.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So those ones are powered by screwing into a light bulb socket?
    Converted the light socket into a 120v, which means it still runs off the light switch. I have mine setup the same way, but with older costco LED lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
    So those ones are powered by screwing into a light bulb socket?
    I would expect he used a couple of these:

Also, for flush mounting the holes are 46.5" apart, but studs should be 48 inches apart. Coming in 3/4" from the centre of each stud sounds a bit dicey, no? I'd hate for one to fail and end up with a fixture bouncing off my car. I suppose if you're lucky then the studs run in the same direction you want the lights run.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Quote Originally Posted by Swank View Post
    I would expect he used a couple of these:

Also, for flush mounting the holes are 46.5" apart, but studs should be 48 inches apart. Coming in 3/4" from the centre of each stud sounds a bit dicey, no? I'd hate for one to fail and end up with a fixture bouncing off my car. I suppose if you're lucky then the studs run in the same direction you want the lights run.
    I'm not sure what he used, but in my garage I removed the bulb fixtures, and replaced them with normal 120v dual plug fixtures.
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

With regards to my setup I posted with the Hykolity lights, they run on the 2-prong adapters, so you just screw those into the outlets indeed. I think you can get a 2-pack of those adapter for around $4 from Home Depot.

Also on the lights, I drilled a screw into the END of the light in the direction it slides in/ out, so it cannot physically slide "out" of position without me removing that screw! A screw drilled through the middle sounds even more solid, though!!

The setup takes less than 30 minutes. Just measure the distance twice, place your dots where you want to drill, and put the screws in. (Try to get it in a stud, that's best obviously). Then mount the light up and run your wires, tidy them up a bit, plug into the bulb socket adapters so then the lights come on with your switch on the wall! Plus you can link up to 4 lights. I needed an extension cord to reach the lights in the back, but I have 4 total.

Edit: Also, one of my lights the box was damaged, and actually the light figure inside had a small dent. I personally didn't care, BUT keep in mind you can return via Amazon and it's very very easy. (You just go into your Amazon order > return for refund > and print the label, slap it on, drop it off at Canada Post.

Here you can see when I only had two of the Hykolity lights in the Garage, and the light was only at the "back" side. So I added two additional lights, but they are only useful when my Garage door is actually closed.

IMG_8747 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_8752 by Spencer, on Flickr
    Last edited by Kijho; 07-30-2018 at 02:21 PM.

My Ride
    B16 Spec V, 97 SC400, 15 Caravan

Most of the LED lights if they are meant for garage use likely have a grounding prong with them. At least all the ones I have looked at do, and I had purchased the adapters to use only to realize it wasn’t possible and I did not want to risk it.

Did someone find LED shoplights without the grounding prong or is there some other modification going on?

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Quote Originally Posted by Cagare View Post
    Most of the LED lights if they are meant for garage use likely have a grounding prong with them. At least all the ones I have looked at do, and I had purchased the adapters to use only to realize it wasn’t possible and I did not want to risk it.

Did someone find LED shoplights without the grounding prong or is there some other modification going on?
    Everything I've posted thus far including my very detailed video on how I installed my Garage lighting shows the Hykolity LED's a 2 prong shop lights. You can also see it right in the photo's on the Amazon page lol.
    You can go the expensive route and buy 3 prong lights, hire an electrician (or DIY), etc. but these are pretty damn awesome for dirt cheap. I've recommended them to lots of friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    The Hykolity lights are awesome, lots of people picking them up since my IG post which I'm glad to see! They're great value!

If you want help me get a 3% commission on them, feel free to use my Amazon Affiliates link: https://amzn.to/2OvrCeL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxk0vpQBaZ0&t=

My Garage is bright as hell, almost blinding..
    I should mention: the company isn't 'paying me' to promote their stuff, but they did send me out the lights in exchange for my how-to video install for them to use on their website. If the lights were garbage though, the reviews would show, and I can't really "fake" the brightness in my video - the brightness speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Kijho; 07-30-2018 at 05:41 PM.

My Ride
    something green

So on the high bay lighting, the best price I could find on 4 strip led high bays was 229 a fixture. I ended up going with the standard t5 high bay, with Led bulbs, came out to 140.00 .The lighting calc at the wholesalers had the same # of fixtures between the options. Worked out pretty good.Name:  IMG_20180705_2158389.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  66.2 KB
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by R-Audi View Post
    An update for the thread, just ordered the lights below from Amazon. $40 each, LED, linkable and plug into a socket. Installing this weekend, but they look quite bright in testing them out.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I'm late to the party, these appear to be unavailable at the moment. How do they compare to the Costco units?

My Ride
    Fremont

With regards to my setup I posted with the Hykolity lights, they run on the 2-prong adapters, so you just screw those into the outlets indeed. I think you can get a 2-pack of those adapter for around $4 from Home Depot.

Also on the lights, I drilled a screw into the END of the light in the direction it slides in/ out, so it cannot physically slide "out" of position without me removing that screw! A screw drilled through the middle sounds even more solid, though!!

The setup takes less than 30 minutes. Just measure the distance twice, place your dots where you want to drill, and put the screws in. (Try to get it in a stud, that's best obviously). Then mount the light up and run your wires, tidy them up a bit, plug into the bulb socket adapters so then the lights come on with your switch on the wall! Plus you can link up to 4 lights. I needed an extension cord to reach the lights in the back, but I have 4 total.

Edit: Also, one of my lights the box was damaged, and actually the light figure inside had a small dent. I personally didn't care, BUT keep in mind you can return via Amazon and it's very very easy. (You just go into your Amazon order > return for refund > and print the label, slap it on, drop it off at Canada Post.

Here you can see when I only had two of the Hykolity lights in the Garage, and the light was only at the "back" side. So I added two additional lights, but they are only useful when my Garage door is actually closed.

IMG_8747 by Spencer, on Flickr

IMG_8752 by Spencer, on Flickr

You're famous

https://imgur.com/a/kaxYSSc
    Name:  BTIpesg.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  57.4 KB
    -

My Ride
    06 S2000

It's cause they sent them to him for free, to review them.
    My car sounds like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin View Post
    I'm late to the party, these appear to be unavailable at the moment. How do they compare to the Costco units?
    Don’t know how they compare but I bought a Costco and a Home Depot 3200 ish lumens models and found the Costco ones cheap feeling and had a less consistent beam out of them. They (Costco ones) are useable and for the price half decent but I didn’t like them.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Quote Originally Posted by LLLimit View Post
    You're famous
    Quote Originally Posted by LilDrunkenSmurf View Post
    It's cause they sent them to him for free, to review them.

I should mention: the company isn't 'paying me' to promote their stuff, but they did send me out the lights in exchange for my how-to video install for them to use on their website. If the lights were garbage though, the reviews would show, and I can't really "fake" the brightness in my video - the brightness speaks for itself.
    Yeah I'm not sure why they're unavailable now though, perhaps they sold out..

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by J-hop View Post
    found the Costco ones cheap feeling and had a less consistent beam out of them. They (Costco ones) are useable and for the price half decent but I didn’t like them.
    Thanks. I'll wait and see if the Hykolity ones come back.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

I got some fluorescent plug in fixtures from Reno depot. Got them a few years ago but they were pretty heap. Grabbed a box of bulbs, and voila. I’d rather have them hard wired but we’re just renting. Put some LED bulbs into the sockets below those plug type adapter things. These fixtures have a ground prong on the plug, so the adapters above wouldn’t work. I put 3 fixtures at the front of the garage and two at the rear since I often have the door open in the summer.

I picked up a Costco power bar with LED lights built in for above the bench and I can detail in the garage no problem.

Sorry for the shitty pic I couldn’t get far enough into my house to get the shot with my phone.

Name:  F712BFB2-8352-4A95-AB44-10B5ACDEAA63.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  31.6 KB

Name:  BFEB9D9E-4077-4863-B302-AF510F660228.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  1FED25A3-2145-420F-970D-5CD580D74855.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  78.3 KB

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Bump. Any good deals on garage lighting?
    The famous @Kijho ones are unavailable.

Do side wall lighting if you're actually turning wrenches. Reduce shadows and light blocked by your hood.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    I installed 2 of these last week https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Clearly not the same as the original Hykolity units earlier in the thread.
    They're ok. Not anything spectacular. Better than what I had (2 bare bulbs)
    The metal is quite thin, mounting flush to the ceiling I added a screw at the end of the fixture to keep it from sliding back off the screws.
    They are 3 prong plugs, so I replaced the single screw-in receptacles with a standard outlet. The outlets on the fixtures for linking are on the bottom so you can't link them if mounting flush, AND the outlets stick out a bit, though so do the plastic end caps. I didn't try removing the plastic diffuser to make screwing them flush easier, I probably should have.
    Still cheaper than Home Depot, and probably not much worse for quality.

Quote Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
    The boss just converter my bay to led. Holy shit what a difference. Standard fluriescen before.

Easy swap. Remove ballast, direct wire one end bases clip connection on other side. Put in Led bulb. He got then from China ,(Alibiabba for $5 a bulb that is 4 feet). They are half the wattage and the bay must be like a hospital exam room now. Crazy bright.

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    The boss just converter my bay to led. Holy shit what a difference. Standard fluriescen before.

Easy swap. Remove ballast, direct wire one end bases clip connection on other side. Put in Led bulb. He got then from China ,(Alibiabba for $5 a bulb that is 4 feet). They are half the wattage and the bay must be like a hospital exam room now. Crazy bright.
    K thanks Toma
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

I dunno why they don't have the nice diffused ones anymore that I have, they basically vanished or something. The Amazon Canada stuff doesn't seem to be updated / match up with their Amazon USA..
    If you checkout the Amazon USA page they have way more going on: https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/1...eb_16540236011

Checkout their 'Shop Lights' here, this is how they're promoting these 4ft ones now: https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/6...eb_16540236011

The problem is I don't think any of it ships to Canada. I'm going to email them right now and ask what's going on haha..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast