Quantcast
Just... Change you're car! says NDP - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Just... Change you're car! says NDP

My Ride
    FT86

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I have to say, out of all the various way that government get revenue, I approve of consumption taxes most of all.

Over time, like a decade or more, this will have a noticable effect on behaviour. If this tax lasts that long, that is.
    I 100% agree. You're not expected to adjust your lifestyle choices immediately but it will sure influence them in the future. Not a bad idea at all.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

Originally posted by D88

I 100% agree. You're not expected to adjust your lifestyle choices immediately but it will sure influence them in the future. Not a bad idea at all.
    True but then don't give rebate cheques back to those making under $51K a year. What does that tell them? "Don't worry about the environment and keep being an underachiever and the government will just send you more money from the 'rich'..."

My Ride
    FJC, S30

Dear NDP. I bring my classic car out of storage on Sunday. Prepare for a greenhouse gas increase. Thanks and fuck you.

Oh btw I'm pretty sure my SUV emits less than my classic car.
    Submaker.Illest.

My Ride
    FT86

Originally posted by blownz

True but then don't give rebate cheques back to those making under $51K a year. What does that tell them? "Don't worry about the environment and keep being an underachiever and the government will just send you more money from the 'rich'..."
    You're right and maybe that's their bid at keeping the vote of the low income populace especially for those who cry the end of the world saying they can't afford it. However, this is written in the budget highlights:

"Over the next 5 years the carbon levy is projected to collect $9.6 billion, which will be reinvested into Alberta’s economy.

$6.2 billion will be spent on diversification of our energy economy and creating jobs, including:

$3.4 billion for large scale renewable energy, bioenergy and technology
    $2.2 billion for green infrastructure like transit
    $645 million for Energy Efficiency Alberta, a new provincial agency that will support increasing energy efficiency for homes and businesses"

So definitely not all of it is going back to the poor.
    Last edited by D88; 04-21-2016 at 04:52 PM.

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Originally posted by D88

You're right and maybe that's their bid at keeping the vote of the low income populace especially for those who cry the end of the world saying they can't afford it. However, this is written in the budget highlights:

"Over the next 5 years the carbon levy is projected to collect $9.6 billion, which will be reinvested into Alberta’s economy.

$6.2 billion will be spent on diversification of our energy economy and creating jobs, including:

$645 million for Energy Efficiency Alberta, a new provincial agency that will support increasing energy efficiency for homes and businesses"

FFS... if they are going to reach into our pockets, please just use it to balance the damn budget instead of creating a new 1/2 BILLION $$ bureaucracy. KUDATAH!
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
    Oh btw I'm pretty sure my SUV emits less than my classic car.
    So... all beyond users are rallying to remove cat converters?

Originally posted by D88

Why do you believe any of those promises will happen? I remember a similar tune sung about some fast ferries in a province I lived in to the west of here, we all know where that ended up.

"New provincial agency". Perfect that's exactly what we need furthermore why do we need an agency? I thought we were going to change everyone's behaviour through taxation, isn't that why our lovely Premier told me to buy a different car?

The whole situation is just completely insane.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Change! You are car!

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by jwslam

So... all beyond users are rallying to remove cat converters?
    My fire pit will be going all summer to get as much carbon out before the "upper middle class" fire pits start being taxed.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

Originally posted by D88

Wrong, all this does is punish those in the middle class. Take DiCaprio for example. The guy is a rabid climate alarmist. So how have increased levies and taxes changed his behaviour? None, he continues flying everywhere, cruising in expensive yachts and consuming those horrible carbon producing products he says he hates Instead he buys "carbon credits" and continues the lifestyle he says is killing everyone. And he is fully on board with current climate theory. Now how about a billionaire who really doesn't give a damn? Think his behaviour will change? When even rich climate change assholes who are telling everyone else what they should do won't change? I guess the thought is you can buy your way out of it if you have enough money. But for anyone else tough darts - if you can't afford it I guess it's too bad, you get to be the sacrificial lambs. And where does the money go? Down the rabbit hole of government pet projects.

And you know what? I am OK with people being able to afford it - just don't feed me the bullshit that any of it is to change the climate. It's an excuse to spread the wealth - something I am willing to bet is the real agenda
    Last edited by soloracer; 04-21-2016 at 11:06 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

So... How exactly is this going to help Calgary Transit? Oh right... Guess everyone should trade their bus pass in for a bicycle?

This is a straight up cash grab from a government who refuses to downsize the public sector and is bringing in a PST through the back door.

It has nothing to do with environmentalism but is strictly a new way to raise revenue for the government.
    Its a win/win/win in the governments eyes as they can:

a) create the APPEARANCE of being "greener" for the rest of the politicians who have to deal with AB

b) create additional income while incentivizing rational thinking (we dont need 4 ton SUVs to drive kids to school)

c) maybe reduce worldwide CO2 by ~0.000001% (which still passes as an APPEARANCE of reduction)
    Last edited by revelations; 04-21-2016 at 11:45 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by M.alex
    nobody considers import/export based on how green you are.
    Thats just plain false. AB has a horrible environmental "image" in the minds of the public and politics outside our province. Trying to get politicians to approve pipelines, or other things about AB (because all they care about is getting reelected) is all part of this green bs game.

Right or wrong, the NDP are at least trying to make a change in this image (no, I did not vote NDP).

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by revelations

IMO - the governtment is simply incentivizing common-sense thinking. Do I need a 4 ton SUV to drive my kids to school? Absolutely not, but if I wish to have one because I WANT TO, then I can go ahead and pay more taxes on a product that consumes more energy.
    Yeah I'm fine with this. There's simply way too many pickup trucks being used as commuters in this province and those people should be free to choose to commute with the vehicle of their choice but they will have to accept that it's just going to cost them a little more.

My Ride
    Trucks

People need to stop driving VW, Audi, Porsche diesels and buy more trucks. Save the environment!

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by revelations

Thats just plain false. AB has a horrible environmental "image" in the minds of the public and politics outside our province. Trying to get politicians to approve pipelines, or other things about AB (because all they care about is getting reelected) is all part of this green bs game.

Right or wrong, the NDP are at least trying to make a change in this image (no, I did not vote NDP).
    I don't agree with the way they are going about it, but I agree with you 100% on that. A lot of my BC friends have this mentality that we all drive catless trucks, work in the oilfield and don't appreciate nature. My favorite is when people say "Alberta's so flat." How I know that you've never been here.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

I don't agree with the way they are going about it, but I agree with you 100% on that. A lot of my BC friends have this mentality that we all drive catless trucks, work in the oilfield and don't appreciate nature. My favorite is when people say "Alberta's so flat." How I know that you've never been here.
    Rocky Mountains are so flat. ROFL.

My Ride
    FT86

Originally posted by soloracer

Wrong, all this does is punish those in the middle class. Take DiCaprio for example. The guy is a rabid climate alarmist. So how have increased levies and taxes changed his behaviour? None, he continues flying everywhere, cruising in expensive yachts and consuming those horrible carbon producing products he says he hates Instead he buys "carbon credits" and continues the lifestyle he says is killing everyone. And he is fully on board with current climate theory. Now how about a billionaire who really doesn't give a damn? Think his behaviour will change? When even rich climate change assholes who are telling everyone else what they should do won't change? I guess the thought is you can buy your way out of it if you have enough money. But for anyone else tough darts - if you can't afford it I guess it's too bad, you get to be the sacrificial lambs. And where does the money go? Down the rabbit hole of government pet projects.

And you know what? I am OK with people being able to afford it - just don't feed me the bullshit that any of it is to change the climate. It's an excuse to spread the wealth - something I am willing to bet is the real agenda
    I'm sceptical of the use of "agendas" as it alludes to conspiracies that haven't been proven (ie. suggesting the carbon levy and other environmental conservation initiatives are ploys to further dissolve the middle class) and I'm not a fan of "rich privilege" either but the truth is, the middle and lower classes make up 80% or more of Canada's population so influencing these demographics' spending behaviour is still the best measure to combat climate change. While individually, the carbon footprint from wealthy people is several magnitudes higher than that coming from a middle or lower class individual, as a collective, I would wager the carbon output from the wealthy is still significantly lower than the output from the entirety of Canada's 80%.

I'm not saying that I'm happy to be spending more towards this cause since I will likely not be alive long enough to enjoy the benefits if any even materialize. We're betting on time scales that exceed the lives of anyone on this planet. That's why it's so difficult to get passed selfish behaviours which lead us to this mess of climate change to begin with. The wealthy predominantly became rich off selfishness so they're the least likely to change their behaviour and they have the unique ability to resist it (they can afford to). People like me who are middle class, unfortunately have to suffer the most but, in a way, I support the ability of our government to enact (force if you will) this policy on us since there is a chance it can make a difference. It at least has the potential of doing more than we have been doing up to this point.

My Ride
    NC1

oh yes. downsize to a civic or corolla because the NDP said so!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    Change! You are car!

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by max_boost
    oh yes. downsize to a civic or corolla because the NDP said so!
    Actually I did, I went from 5.7/5.0 V8 gas guzzlers to a low emissions civic Go Notley Go!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast