Quantcast
Not being a CPU guru, what's the difference? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not being a CPU guru, what's the difference?

My Ride
    A big red Taco, '99 4Runner

Default Not being a CPU guru, what's the difference?

Hey guys.

Laptop is dying a slow and painful death. It's 8 years old, and has a 3 core AMD 1.2GHz processor in it. What I've noticed in searching for laptops to replace it, is that the majority have dual-core processors. They are obviously faster, but with one less core, will it be the same?

Needs are a laptop for family use, surfing, gaming, etc., and the wife is interested in using PhotoShop maybe, as she picked up a mirrorless camera, and might want to play with the photos. 1TB HDD probably is best, and most have around 8Gig of RAM, at least the one's I'm looking at.

So, as mentioned in the title, not being a CPU guru, and now knowing the needs, would a dual core work? And should I be looking at i5 or i7 CPU's, as the needs are.

We would like to get another Asus laptop, as this one has been bullet proof for so long, it just seems like a sound investment.

My Ride
    Grimace

i5 dual core would be fine for the most part. For a power user a quad core i7 would be nice but then you have to think about the lessened battery life and increased heat. I have a i5 dual core in my macbook pro and it has been more than sufficient for my needs. 8gb minimum of ram is a must but an SSD is also nice to have for the fast boot times and faster load times overall. Some come with a small ssd and large normal hard drive for example. Asus is still a good choice also.

Programs like Photoshop can use the additional cores, and it can make a significant difference in speed depending on the process. Not every program is written for multi core, but lots are. The i7's also have something called hyperthreading, which allows each core to behave like 2 cores if needed. Get at least an i5 in my opinion, you can get them fairly cheap. The other thing you get with the i5's and i7's is way better integrated graphics, assuming you aren't looking for something with a discrete graphics card.

Also get something with an SSD - don't even consider anything else. Even for basic tasks the difference is very noticeable. You will notice that way more than anything else, and the difference is enormous. Standard HDD's have been the weakest link in computers for a very long time. It's also one less big fragile moving part to have in the computer if you avoid a standard HDD. If you need extra storage, you can get a larger laptop with a second drive or just use any number of backup solutions (cloud, external drive, etc.)

8GB of ram is pretty much the minimum these days, so make sure you stick to at least that, especially if you're going to be using things like Photoshop. I have 16GB of ram, and am probably a much heavier user, but I regularly see 14GB used in big Photoshop sessions, and my next computer will have 32GB at least.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 04-21-2016 at 09:45 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

i5 is fine for Photoshop but not Premiere.

8GB is also fine but see if you can upgrade to 16GB down the road.

Key is SSD, don't bother with spinning drives any more. They are slow and drains battery. Try to find one that can accommodate 2 drives so you can start with 256GB and when SSD get cheaper, you can add a 1TB on top.

My Ride

Well, it will be plugged in 90% of the time. Is a SSD necessary in that case? Or just a "nice thing to have"?

My Ride
    '10 Civic

a new i5 will blow any 3 core processor out of the water and you wont even notice having 2.

Spec wise, what Xtrema said I would agree with. You also mentioned gaming, It might be best to let us know what your budget is and maybe we could suggest some laptops.

Originally posted by ZMan2k2
    Well, it will be plugged in 90% of the time. Is a SSD necessary in that case? Or just a "nice thing to have"?
    I'm not sure I understand the relevance of it being plugged in from a speed perspective, but the SSD will be the single most noticeable thing you can do for day-to-day speed increases, regardless of power source. The whole machine will just be so much snappier and pleasant to use. SSD's are also easier on the battery though if that's what you mean.

To summarize what I said earlier:
    - SSD
    - i5 or higher
    - 8GB RAM or higher

You should be pretty happy with those basic requirements as a starting point, and they are fairly standard these days so it won't be hard to find.

If you can find something with an IPS, matte, screen that is another *huge* bonus, and is especially important if you're going to be doing Photoshop work not to have a garbage screen. My Asus Zenbook has one, so I imagine they still offer them on other models too. Most laptops do not have these, so it might be a bit harder to find.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

One tip is that you can add your own RAM pretty easily to most laptops, and its often cheaper than spec'ing out a higher end system.

My Ride

Thanks. As for gaming, it's just some gaming that my daughter does on coolmathgames.com. Nothing intense. As for plugging in, that was more for battery life considerations.

Budget would be around $1k, and I already have an external optical read drive. Suggest away.

My Ride
    Bicycle

All computers should have SSD now. I retrofit a lot of old 5+ year old laptops with SSDs and they all came alive and actually usable.

The extra battery life is just a bonus.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Xtrema

All computers should have SSD now. I retrofit a lot of old 5+ year old laptops with SSDs and they all came alive and actually usable.

The extra battery life is just a bonus.
    I do the same, its amazing how cheap it is.

My Ride
    is broken

SSD makes a HUGE difference in usability. The significant difference in access times is the big thing you notice.

People always say my computer is slow i need a new CPU, or i need a whole new computer. Use an SSD and you will notice significant speed up in the whole system. Processing items still takes time (like encoding an MP3) but when a program can open in 0.2s instead of 3s its a big thing.

One option you could consider is to buy any laptop with the stats you want then buy a separate SSD. Its all plug and play. THEN stick the replaced HDD in an enclosure for extra backup.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

You will need a laptop with a second drive slot or use external storage if you are going to be shooting in RAW and editing in photoshop/lightroom. I know I can fill up my storage pretty fast with all my photos.

SSD for main drive the just too good.

My Ride

Okay, so let me describe a little what's happening with my laptop, and you tell me, HDD or laptop in general.

It gets pretty warm after my wife gets at it, with multiple apps open. Email, 4 or 5 tabs in Chrome, and a couple other apps.

It locks up, screen flashes the open window, nothing works. Only way to stop it is open Task Manager. Don't have to close anything, just open Task Manager and it is useable again.

Those are the main problems, and I've been backing it up more frequently because of that. Would you call it HDD, or just an old laptop. Because if its just HDD, I'll buy an SSD drive for it. Because it does all we need right now.

My Ride

^ could be just in need of a basic hardware checkup (bad ram, bad fan, too dusty inside).

If all passes - in addition to the SSD, I would also recommend a laptop stand with a BIG, slow fan underneath (not 2-3 noisy fans). That will help get more life of it.

My Ride

Also, the obvious questions about bugs and items running in the background that dont need to be ..... assumed checked out ok ?

My Ride

Yeah, everything running in the background is fine. I ran AVG, Avast, Telus` free virus checker. Seems clean, and nothing is eating huge amounts of RAM.

My Ride

Run Malwarebytes comprehensive and an ESET full online scan separately.

Those are the best two in the business right now. Will take about 3-4 hours for all.

Adware cleaner is a quick check too ... takes 5 minutes and looks for the most obvious things.

Also, if those AVs you mentioned are active/running on the system - dont. They are huge resource hogs.

Just run a manual scan on an older system when time permits. Too much overhead otherwise.

My Ride

Running Malwarebytes right now. I'll leave it till tomorrow morning. I wake up at 5 for work, so I'll start the second program you mentioned then. When I get home, I'll open it up, and see if it's really dusty, and blow it out, see if that helps, because I can still hear the fan running, so the fan works. It just may be covered in dust, along with the heatsink.

Question, if it is the HDD, what's the best SSD HDD either 500Gb or 1TB to run with?

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Yeah, everything running in the background is fine. I ran AVG, Avast, Telus` free virus checker. Seems clean, and nothing is eating huge amounts of RAM.
    Wait... Are you running 3 antivirus programs at the same? If so just get rid of all 3 and install MSE.

MSE on its own is lighter and faster than those other 3 put together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast