Quantcast
Window tint petition - Alberta - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Window tint petition - Alberta

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

rage2 is correct; windshield tint is legal is some states, however that is only 3.

http://www.solargard.com/window-film...tive/tint-laws

The only place that is legal to have tint on your windshield that isn't based on a line distance from the top is Hawaii, Ohio, and North Dakota.

Hawaii, obviously hot. Ohio, can get pretty hot. The only anomaly is North Dakota.

So 3/50 states allow you to tint down to 70% maximum.
    The rest is either none whatsoever, AS1 line, or some sort of distance between 4-6".

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I would've thought it was more than 3. I knew about Hawaii, every car there looks like a drug dealer car because I'm not used to seeing so much tint haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by know1edge; 08-16-2018 at 09:52 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by rage2
    I would've thought it was more than 3. I knew about Hawaii, every car there looks like a drug dealer car because I'm not used to seeing so much tint haha.
    Also, the fact that the police drive their personal cars as cruisers, just throw a blue light on top. Pretty weird to see a Mustang GT coupe with aftermarket rims and tints pulling someone over

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Originally posted by Darell_n
    Is there a petition to increase the fines for front window tint? I'd sign that. There are no valid reasons to tint the front windows in Alberta other than to look gangster. Not being able to make eye contact as a driver or pedestrian is a serious safety issue and I'd like to know if the guy driving like an idiot near me is drinking a 6 pack or has a hooker on their lap. (I've seen both)
    or pointing a gun at you...
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Reviving this thread...

I was just talking with a friend, and his new '16 F-150 comes with a glazing on all side windows (including the front).
    This is the same/similar material as is tint, except it's clear.

and legislation says "any transparent, translucent or opaque materials".
    - Would this truck, passing DOT standards, be out of compliance even coming into Alberta?

.... on this note, it pretty much throws out the debate of "side windows are designed to shatter, and a material on the side, prevents that from happening..." out the window.

I'd really like to know the REAL reason tint is not legal.... or "TRANSPARENT materials" for that matter.

My Ride
    Is fun!

okay, okay....can't believe I'm saying this.....but, with all this talk of windshield tint being a good, or even awesome thing.......I think a few of you might owe a certain someone an apology!

My Ride
    2022 X2M

Originally posted by swak
    Reviving this thread...

I was just talking with a friend, and his new '16 F-150 comes with a glazing on all side windows (including the front).
    This is the same/similar material as is tint, except it's clear.

and legislation says "any transparent, translucent or opaque materials".
    - Would this truck, passing DOT standards, be out of compliance even coming into Alberta?

.... on this note, it pretty much throws out the debate of "side windows are designed to shatter, and a material on the side, prevents that from happening..." out the window.

I'd really like to know the REAL reason tint is not legal.... or "TRANSPARENT materials" for that matter.
    This is the reasoning I have been given several times:

Windows are designed to shatter into tiny pieces which are "supposed" to be less harmful in the event of an accident.

Film on windows prevents this safety feature of the glass and instead can cause large pieces which "could" be more harmful in the event of an accident.

HOWEVER: I have tint on my back windows and I went with 3M Scotchshield because my children sit in the back seats and I wanted to ensure the "supposed" issues with regular tint would not come into play. If this tint increases safety would it then be a better option on the front windows then no tint? I would be interested to know.
    E .· ` ' / ·. F
    Your tears fuel me

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

I kinda like the idea of tint preventing the window from shattering - may help even a slight percent deter people from smashing a window to steal something inside a car? (Plus harder to see inside).

Signed

My Ride
    '19 GTI

Originally posted by Kavy

This is the reasoning I have been given several times:

Windows are designed to shatter into tiny pieces which are "supposed" to be less harmful in the event of an accident.

Film on windows prevents this safety feature of the glass and instead can cause large pieces which "could" be more harmful in the event of an accident.

HOWEVER: I have tint on my back windows and I went with 3M Scotchshield because my children sit in the back seats and I wanted to ensure the "supposed" issues with regular tint would not come into play. If this tint increases safety would it then be a better option on the front windows then no tint? I would be interested to know.
    Well thats my point...

If tint legislation is made for that safety reason, why is Ford getting away with putting a film like materials on their side windows? (same thing as tint, just not tinted...)

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Kijho
    I kinda like the idea of tint preventing the window from shattering - may help even a slight percent deter people from smashing a window to steal something inside a car? (Plus harder to see inside).

Originally posted by swak
    Well thats my point...

If tint legislation is made for that safety reason, why is Ford getting away with putting a film like materials on their side windows? (same thing as tint, just not tinted...)
    As I mentioned earlier in the thread, BMW and Mercedes both use laminated glass (same as windshield) in their side windows that doesn't shatter. Tougher to break in, better noise control, and actual UV protection. Surprised ford went with a glazing and not a laminated window.

Anyways, only reason we don't use laminated windows in the side, rear and sunroof is because it's a lot more expensive. Windshield needs it because you don't need rock chips shattering the windshield 5x a year. Tint regulations based on safety are just a poor excuse. If it was so dangerous, they would legislate out all tint, even behind the driver as well, and ban the use of stronger laminated windows everywhere including the windshield. Think about it, we won't have ugly and dangerously cracked spiderweb windshields anymore, any rock damage would shatter the fucker and necessitate a replacement! Of course, 1000 "safety" glass shards firing at you at speed would be fucking hilarious.

Completely random google result:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/t19871/

Looks like firemen have already been trained on how to break laminated glass years ago when manufacturers started rolling it out. The training is mostly for identifying these glass windows, because they already know how to take out the windshield which uses the same glass.

So there goes that other excuse about extraction from a bad accident.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Says my address not found. Maybe Ill just contact my MLA.

My Ride
    V8s

Got my first tint ticket yesterday, after a number of years of driving with tinted front windows.

I'm pretty sure the cop thinks it's a stupid ticket too, he gave me the "yeah, we've been asked to target it" line.

The question is now, do I remove it? Or just risk getting another fine? They're only $78, but I don't wanna pay it every couple weeks. Anyone know how long they'll be targeting tint before they move onto a different illegal mod on my car?

On topic, the petition appears to be losing steam at less than 800 sign it in the last two months. I'm curious how many signatures should be on a petition before it warrants any serious consideration by those that it's directed at?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by speedog
    On topic, the petition appears to be losing steam at less than 800 sign it in the last two months. I'm curious how many signatures should be on a petition before it warrants any serious consideration by those that it's directed at?
    Considering the petition to end the bullshit classification of the AR in Canada had 25,000 signatures and was just tossed to the side, I'd say the whole thing is pointless since politicians will just do whatever they want anyways.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by cjblair
    The question is now, do I remove it? Or just risk getting another fine? They're only $78, but I don't wanna pay it every couple weeks. Anyone know how long they'll be targeting tint before they move onto a different illegal mod on my car?
    It's summer. Windows down permanently and worry about it in after Thanksgiving.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by jwslam

Exactly. I've had two heat score vehicles with dark front tint and I never had an issue. I debate doing my current car, but I'd hate to get a ticket or removal notice.

My Ride
    LNF

Originally posted by jwslam

Its funny you say that..

Last year on thanksgiving weekend I was driving windows down and got pulled over and they told me to roll up my windows and gave me a tint ticket. Not speeding or anything

My Ride
    LNF

My next vehicle I will probably get 50% on all windows, so it is not that noticable. I cannot stand the heat from the sun beaming in so that is my main reason that I have tint

I have 35% now and that used to seem to be okay with rcmp but now they are definitely targetting it.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Black leather interior, I'm definitely thinking about tint just to make getting in the thing bearable. Probably just something like 35%, nothing too crazy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast