Quantcast
Divorce question - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Divorce question

My Ride
    14 ZL1

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

You have proof of any guy that gets alimony? It's like one of those "theoretical" possibilities that I've never heard actually occurs.
    I have a male coworker who has full custody and alimony. It happens, but not too often.
    Mike
    14 ZL1
    07 Mazdaspeed3

Default Re: Re: Divorce question

Originally posted by max_boost

Why does it matter where the down payment came from?
    :
    It matters a lot. traceable money or assets you enter into a marriage do not get divided 50/50 but are retained by yourself.

my wife's property she paid off prior to us getting married remains hers in the case of a divorce. if she sold it and bought another with that property, it would remain hers as well. appreciation I could get a chunk of, but the initial value I can't touch. same goes for my assets I had before.

as long as you do not muddy the waters with selling a 400k property and then buying some stocks, a car, selling the car 5 years later for nothing, going to vegas 10 times, coming back with more money or less money randomly, putting it in a joint account, having each of u widthdraw cash randomly, etc and then buy another property it should be pretty easy to prove who owns it.

That's the basics I learned anyway, from a divorce lawyer (we also took a basic law course focusing on asset division from divorces. It felt kinda weird being in a room full of angry people going through divorces as a couple engaged but good info lol).

I'm not sure what she's trying to do here either, or ask for. Does she not understand any additional pittance she thinks she can gain from lawyering up is going to get absorbed and then some by what he charges?) If you sell a place, put X in your account, a month later buy another place with a down payment of about X and X amount is now missing from your account.... that should be about it for proof as far as i was lead to believe. lacking communication sounds like a good way to draw out higher lawyer bills too.

She sounds like a moron.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by nonofyobiz

I don't think this is a 100% true. I've read things to the contrary as i'm going through a situation myself, and if I had any ability to retain information i'd certainly type it out. =(
    It's not 100% true, but nearly. I've gone through a divorce, and when I was getting into my next relationship, I discussed at length with my lawyer what the implications are when you move in with someone (not married); you're right it's not 100% true, but it's like 99%. I'm at work, so I'm not going to bother going to dig up AB marital law, but if you do some quick googling you'll find it. Adult interdependent relationship is what you want to read about.

@Hitempguy - I was referring to splitting up what you have (which, barring extenuating circumstances, is nearly always 50/50 as dictated by the law. Assets you had before the relationship and any inheritance received during the relationship are exempt, however).
    Having said that, regarding spousal support, your point is sort of valid - The male receiving spousal support (correct term for alimony in AB, by the way) is absolutely the exception, not the rule. The men who would receive spousal support are long term stay at home dads, wife is the bread winner. Spousal support is based on earning potential, and if a person (male or female) stays home for ten years raising children, their future earning potential is significantly lower than if they had been in the workforce. To think this absolutely never happens to the guy in the relationship is a little short-sighted, though. I personally know someone in this boat.
    Last edited by bjstare; 05-03-2016 at 08:21 AM.

My Ride
    Silverado

OP, I think you should take one last trip to Mexico; to try and patch things up...

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by cjblair

To think this absolutely never happens to the guy in the relationship is a little short-sighted, though. I personally know someone in this boat.
    Oh for sure, I don't think it has never happened, just the system seems very non-balanced. The amount of money women get in alimony is practically crippling, one guy I work with won't work overtime as there is literally no point. He can work like a dog, and after taxes and alimony/child support, he takes home maybe 35% of the OT pay

I don't think I know of a single stay-at-home-mom, but then again I'm not a Beyond Baller

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    I don't think I know of a single stay-at-home-mom, but then again I'm not a Beyond Baller
    Rare but they do exist. Ones I know are rarely under 40 tho...

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:13 PM.

My Ride
    '03 ep3

Originally posted by killramos

Ftfy
    Ahhhh, relationship hypergamy. Women are funny.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    That said, the agreement we have is if we ever split up regardless of the reason, we will divide everything evenly right down the middle and go our separate ways with no strings and no lawyers
    Hope you don't get divorced. I had the same agreement before mine lol.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by rage2

Hope you don't get divorced. I had the same agreement before mine lol.
    so easy to say when you're in a happy mindset. someone fucking up by cheating or having lawyers feed some storyline to get em to bill more hours causes messy divorce stories. very rare to see seamless divorce stories

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

That said, the agreement we have is if we ever split up regardless of the reason, we will divide everything evenly right down the middle and go our separate ways with no strings and no lawyers
    This is

I sincerely hope you never get divorced, but if for some unfortunate reason you do, please update if you were able to actually pull this off.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

How many of you poor bastards have been divorced!?!?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by riander5
    How many of you poor bastards have been divorced!?!?
    Beyonders? Can you really blame their wives?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My ex was a stay at home mom until we divorced last year. Thankfully we were able to work everything out amicably between us, alimony, child support, when we each had our daughter etc. Divorcing sucked and was stressful enough without lawyers involved. I couldn't imagine how much more difficult it would have been if it were acrimonious.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Originally posted by killramos

Beyonders? Can you really blame their wives?
    I would blame my divorce on 50% her parents, 25% her and 25% myself and how I could have probably handled it better.

They tried to get the pillows and the dishes we received as gifts as part of the divorce, it made me glad that I was getting out of that situation.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

If it's cheaper to hire a hitman then pay her out...well you figure it out.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

I only know of male who got money out of a divorce, his wife inherited a net worth of $40 million, but even when it came time to divorce, he really didn't get that much, he got $1mm + 100k/year for 10 years. They were married for 20+ years, two kids, he worked at the father in laws business for a number of years. If the roles were reversed, she would have gotten half, or more. It's brutal.

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

Originally posted by jabjab

I would blame my divorce on 50% her parents, 25% her and 25% myself and how I could have probably handled it better.

They tried to get the pillows and the dishes we received as gifts as part of the divorce, it made me glad that I was getting out of that situation.
    That's fucking petty. No kidding, be thankful that you're no longer associated with that toxicity.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Jlude
    I only know of male who got money out of a divorce, his wife inherited a net worth of $40 million, but even when it came time to divorce, he really didn't get that much, he got $1mm + 100k/year for 10 years. They were married for 20+ years, two kids, he worked at the father in laws business for a number of years. If the roles were reversed, she would have gotten half, or more. It's brutal.
    So the way to do this is make sure the broad is richer than you are and no sweat!
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast