Quantcast
2016 Camaro SS Opinions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Camaro SS Opinions

My Ride
    This and that.

Default 2016 Camaro SS Opinions

Since I have been reading that people are complaining about Beyond not being a 'car forum' anymore, I figured I'd share my current 'car dilemma' with Beyond and get some feedback.

Yes, this is one of my infamous 'car vs car' threads. lol.

Thinking of switching the M3 for the 2016 Camaro SS. Watched a Motor Trend video and they preferred the SS over the brand new M4 and the M4 is supposed to be better than the E92 M3.

So other than losing the brand name and 'prestige' that goes along with the M3, what do you guys think about this swap?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I'd at least test drive a Shelby gt350 before pulling the trigger if you are willing to go the muscle car route... Or 5.0 gt with track pack at a minimum

Just be ready to deal with domestic dealerships for maintaining the car

As a driving experience I'm sure you will enjoy it just fine, but don't expect the same refinement

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you are going domestic I'd get the new Shelby personally, much more interesting with that new engine.

I don't have much else to add except that I don't think the Camaro's are very good looking, and being a GM product... well just read Zhariaks escalade thread.

If you are going to go this direction I would just get a corvette.

Edit: lol looks like me an ercchy have similar first impressions.
    Last edited by killramos; 04-30-2016 at 06:11 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    This and that.

I looked at GT350 (very briefly) but would like to avoid them because apparently Ford does not allow lease on them. That is one of the big factors as I am thinking of getting rid of the M3 because of financing and would like to get into leasing that will allow me to switch more frequently. Also, there are certain tax implications that I will be able to take advantage of down the line.

I haven't looked into the 5.0 track pack but can certainly exposure it. But I do prefer the look of the Camaro SS a lot more. Didn't drive one today but checked them out and have been watching videos. The driving feel (torque etc) is going to be very close to the C63 I imagine due to the numbers.

Problem with Corvette is that it's completely useless in winter and that doesn't work for me. I'd like to be able to drive in the winter with the Camaro. Plus there is more room in it and I plan to drive it to the max km's limit since it'll be leased and I can just return it. More room will help with luggage etc during longer road trips.

Forgot to look into pre-paid maintenance and stuff to see if they offer that like BMW's etc. As for muscle cars, love them. C63 was essentially German muscle and feel similar about the M3 (although not quiet as much). The new Camaro looks absolutely fantastic so intrigued.

My Ride
    K-car

If you love BMW like driving dynamics you'll be more than happy in a SS Camaro. Opinions being opinions, I'd take the new Camaro over any Mustang, the pure fact that it's compared more to M-series BMW's than to Mustangs tells just how good the new Camaro is. It's taken "pony cars" to a new level. Plus, a SS Camaro is ~$10K cheaper than any 350 Shelby.

I'd order up a 1-LE SS.

My Ride
    This and that.

I priced out a fully loaded, top of the line 2SS in the Blue colour they introduced. It's in the budget as long as I don't get lowballed on the M3 trade-in, which I am afraid might happen. And if it does, I won't be going ahead.

One thing I am concerned about or wondering is that a video on youtube mentioned that there will be ZL1 and Z28 versions or something. I am not quite sure what they are and what difference they make but is that something to be concerned about and wait for instead?
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-30-2016 at 06:43 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

How is a Camaro SS any better in the winter than a corvette? Ride height? Serious question.

But hey if you like Camaros fill your boots, I have a buddy from school who is obsessed and has 3 lol. I would wait for a zl1 to come out again though.

I just wouldn't base your buying decision on a motortrend article, they are very pro domestic as a general rule from what I understand. Go drive one and if you like it that much more than your m3 then the decision is easy.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    This and that.

Ride height is what I am thinking between the two. But yea ZL1 thing is a concern/issue that I am wondering about.

My Ride
    Silverado

6.2 is a great motor.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

I would wait for the 1LE package on the 2017

My Ride
    K-car

Z-L1 is equivalent to a Z06 Vette...640 or so HP, new 10 speed auto, Magnetic ride control,plus all the other extreme performance bits. Much bigger pricetag than the SS though.

There's going to be a Z/28, I'd bet it'll be like a ZL-1 without the supercharger. It's the track monster.

My Ride
    K-car

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

The ZL1 with 640hp and the new 10 speed is going to rock. Listen to it shift.

Above didn't work for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdwQwZzSHRo
    Last edited by 90_Shelby; 04-30-2016 at 07:04 PM.
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

GT350 but I'm bias

The drive train is on another level. Honestly.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by Darkane
    GT350 but I'm bias

The drive train is on another level. Honestly.
    $40k vs $70k, I'd hope the GT350 was better...

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by corsvette
    Z-L1 is equivalent to a Z06 Vette...640 or so HP, new 10 speed auto, Magnetic ride control,plus all the other extreme performance bits. Much bigger pricetag than the SS though.

There's going to be a Z/28, I'd bet it'll be like a ZL-1 without the supercharger. It's the track monster.
    What is the price tag on those packages when they come out next year?

This one is just over $55K. Doesn't sound extortionate enough for me to re-think a domestic muscle car purchase lol. So that is certainly a factor. If the other two are going to be $15-$20K over that, I rather look at other options.

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Additionally, reading about the ZL 1 it's obviously going to be beast (600+ hp) which will most certainly impact winter practicality.
    Last edited by shakalaka; 04-30-2016 at 08:11 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I prefer my power down low not up high. The GT350 makes more power up in the top end of the rev range compared to the Camaro and for that I would be taking the Camaro.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by gpomp
    $40k vs $70k, I'd hope the GT350 was better...
    To be fair base vs base

42,1xx vs 63,099

21 grand not 30.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

I got a guy that can get you into the new SS Camaro for 48k. if your interested. yes. fully loaded.
    I test drove it the other day... and ... man. all I can say is... its extremely impressive. and very fun to drive. almost as fun as my vette, which was twice the price.

If I was looking for a super car like bargin.. I'd take that new camero SS all day long.

ok and as far as some of the comments mentioned in this thread...

1) the rear seats are USELESS. this is a 2 passenger car. less you want the guy in the rear seat to be sideways.

2) its gonna be the same as driving a vette in winter... so you'll need winters

3)the mustangs got nothing on this thing interior wise. also in looks IMO. I test drove both of em (5.0 GT) and the Camaro is better, hands down.

I highly recommend the Camaro. I've test driven alot of cars this year. and its by far one of the best cars I have driven this year! Heres some of the more impressive cars I have driven this year to compare to. and of which I thought the Camaro was actually better.

S4 - disappointed...
    Gold R - really fun car though.
    A8 - this car is better in almost every way, - fun factor.
    Genesis Ultimate - found it lazy
    Taurus SHO - impressive car. outdated.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by Darkane

To be fair base vs base

42,1xx vs 63,099

21 grand not 30.
    Hmm, I was pricing out a 17 GT350. Not sure why there's a $10k difference between 16 and 17

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast