Quantcast
Fort McMurray wildfire, city is burning. - Page 15 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Fort McMurray wildfire, city is burning.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I was just going to say, either my eyes have been deceiving me the past 6+ years, or I too have been flying on 737's.

Pretty sure they can even land the hercules on the oil-company owned strips.
    yep theres a video on one of the social media sites of a guy about to board herc for transport from mackay
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    More before and after images with slider here: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...fore-and-after

Looks like massive residential losses. Thousands of single family homes as well as some multifamily and apartment developments. Even a conservative estimate of 1,000 households or 10,000 people would dwarf Slave Lake, losses could be in the tens of billions.
    That is an astonishing visual.

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

Originally posted by suntan
    Where did you read this? Those airstrips are meant for rinky dinky planes. Not sure there's enough tarmac to land a 737. Regardless, they didn't redeploy "half their fleet".
    Been watching on flightradar24 and flightaware for 2 days now, WestJet and almost half a dozen other carriers operating out of Firebag and Albian.

Originally posted by nzwasp
    My buddy said that they lost the building that houses all their radio and network links at approx 2am at long lake. It was between the tree line and the plant. They are worried at how extensive the damage is to the plant.
    A lot of those companies just bought new (in the last year or two) radio systems, which have the potential to be relatively easily replaceable. They're even radio over IP in that if there is still an infrastructure path available, the system core could even be geographically elsewhere (such as in a radio shop in Edmonton) temporarily.

The first responders are using the new provincial radio system called AFRRCS (Alberta First Responders' Radio Communication System) which is a digital 700 MHz provincewide network set to go into wide use in July. The infrastructure for it was, as of Wednesday, still intact in the area, but a guy I know high up in the agency said that they had deployed one of their SOWs (sites on wheels - basically a shack and a crank-up 50m tower) to the area in case it was needed. Also carries 150 spare portable radios and batteries.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Thaco
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Boring. And a motorcycle.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I was just going to say, either my eyes have been deceiving me the past 6+ years, or I too have been flying on 737's.

Pretty sure they can even land the hercules on the oil-company owned strips.
    Yeah. I land/take off from Albian's airstrip in a 737 every week.

Also - confirmed. They landed a Hercules yesterday at Albian to drop off supplies for the camp. We then loaded it with evacuees and it took off again.

The airstrip has seen everything from Dash-8's to Westjet, Canadian North and Flair 737's over the past few days.

As of this morning, since May 3, over 6600 people have been evacuated out of Albian's Airstrip by over 60 flights.
    The Ex: 2002 Subaru 2.5RSTi w/ JDM V7 STI Swap, JDM 6-Speed Trans, Dom 1.5XTR, ST Coilovers
    The Ride: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S, Tuneboy w/ CC
    Daily: Boring Volvo.

My Ride
    2017 Ford Fiesta ST

Saw this on the web earlier, had to download and share it... kind of explains how we Canadians work

Geek

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

My company just announced they are matching employee Red cross donations too. Excellent.

My Ride
    MDX

Originally posted by Darell_n
    Air Canada got caught price gouging on flights from Fort Mac May 3 & 4 and is now offering refunds to their customers. Meanwhile Westjet has half there fleet making free flights up there to get people out. Good job boys.

Edit: not free, just on the oil company tab for later.
    WestJet pulled 8 planes from their fleet and had them flying constant routes. Not half of the fleet. They did make 60 or so departures though.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

^^fixed that for you

Climate change or no climate change, these will always be forest fires.

The main thing that affects the cycles is El Niņo and La Niņa events, which basically trigger a fire cycle. We just happen to be in the midst of a El Niņo year, and the dry warm weather is completely typical of that.

All the people that keep attributing the weather patterns this year to climate change instead of El Niņo are idiots. I seriously want to smack Elisabeth May up the side of the head for her comments on this.

If you want to argue that the strength of this years El Niņo is somehow linked to climate change, then maybe you have a leg to stand on. Calling forest fires a result of climate change is however completely wrong.
    Also the simple fact that these guys are more severe simply because more people live in the area as well. A fire rage through the area 100 or 200 years ago? I doubt people would hear about it across the world, or even understand the size of it.
    Last edited by Nitro5; 05-06-2016 at 06:57 PM.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:30 AM.

My Ride
    an econo box

Air Canada got caught price gouging on flights from Fort Mac May 3 & 4 and is now offering refunds to their customers. Meanwhile Westjet has half there fleet making free flights up there to get people out. Good job boys.

Edit: not free, just on the oil company tab for later.
    The price gouging was a myth, and I can tell you that Air Canada, along with several smaller airlines, has been sending in relief flights since the get go, they just don't blabber on about it on social media.

The fire has intensified and is expected to DOUBLE in size overnight to over 2000km2, they need rain in a big way.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/fort-mcmurray-fire-could-double-in-size-1.2890603

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by KrisYYC

The price gouging was a myth, and I can tell you that Air Canada, along with several smaller airlines, has been sending in relief flights since the get go, they just don't blabber on about it on social media.
    They allowed their robot to charge premium prices for short notice flights in a time of crisis. Either they gouged or they are inept at their job. I think both.

They allowed their robot to charge premium prices for short notice flights in a time of crisis. Either they gouged or they are inept at their job. I think both.
    K, now that you've established that you have a hate-on for all things Air Canada, can we move on?

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by speedog

K, now that you've established that you have a hate-on for all things Air Canada, can we move on?
    I don't hate them at all (your employer?). Just calling out their bullshit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Redlined_8000
    My company just announced they are matching employee Red cross donations too. Excellent.
    Mine as well, so my dollars are matched by employer, federal, and provincial govnt the way they described it. Makes the dollars go alot further and I try to pick a few things like this to donate to every year for tax deductions.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

I don't hate them at all (your employer?). Just calling out their bullshit.
    My employer?

You're funny.

My Ride
    TDi

My finances company is matching and tripling our donation. Just currently waiting for their donation system to come online and we will be donating.

$200 will turn into $200 + $200 + $600 = $1000

That $200 goes a LONG way! Good for them, in addition to donating $100k
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Yeah good stuff.

Parent company donated 100k. Our division will match another 50k of employee donations.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 14 15 16 ... LastLast