Quantcast
Am I SOL? - Gravel truck incident - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Am I SOL? - Gravel truck incident

My Ride
    Genesis 2.0T

Default Am I SOL? - Gravel truck incident

Had a gravel truck cut me off exiting off of Stoney trail heading west onto crowchild/1A towards Cochrane.

In his hurried attempt to cut into the lane prior to the solid line ending he either kicked up or let loose some rocks from the back of his truck which has resulted in a grapefruit sized spiral crack, along with at least half a dozen smaller chips and a 6" crack along the top. It has also cracked my front grill with a hole the size of a toonie.

No plate on the back, I managed to find a plate on the front when I drove around him to check and got the plate number. No company markings at all on the truck, just a old white beat up gravel truck/heavy hauler with a load screen not used for the back. Driver ignored my waving/signaling and continued Westbound.

Probably another reason to have a dashcam although in this case is there any recourse in what I can do? Windshield needs to be replaced for sure, probably at the point I'd get a ticket if I drove.

Non-emergency police line to report plate?
    Insurance?

Never had this happen to this extent, it sounded like a bomb went off when the rock's or whatever he was hauling bombarded my car.

Cheers

You can try report it but probably SOL without a dash cam. No way to prove you didn't get it by some other means as far as the company will be concerned, and they aren't wrong. I wouldn't go through insurance, the windshield is probably pretty cheap - call CalAlta and see what they charge for a replacement. I'd be pissed but there isn't a lot you can do.

My Ride
    Nothing

plain and simple - you are fvcked.

happened to me a few years ago; i got the company name and that id number on the truck and pursued every avenue (company, police, etc...) and all were basically a dead end.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Genesis 2.0T

Touche, I figured as much. Unreal.

Non emergency line said the same, good to report and they will do their due diligence but outcome is never good for the complaint without video evidence and even then it's hit or miss.

Calalta special on for 249 + gst, guess I'm going that route, appreciate the help boys.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

dude. if I were you, I woulda gotten in front of him and slowed him down to a dead stop, and taken his info. dont be afraid to do that.

My Ride
    This and that.

Or at least call the police and advise them he 'hit' you in this manner and is refusing to stop/pull over. I am sure they would have acted then.

Originally posted by InRich
    dude. if I were you, I woulda gotten in front of him and slowed him down to a dead stop, and taken his info. dont be afraid to do that.

Default Re: Am I SOL? - Gravel truck incident

Originally posted by Royle9
    Had a gravel truck cut me off exiting off of Stoney trail heading west onto crowchild/1A towards Cochrane.

In his hurried attempt to cut into the lane prior to the solid line ending he either kicked up or let loose some rocks from the back of his truck which has resulted in a grapefruit sized spiral crack, along with at least half a dozen smaller chips and a 6" crack along the top. It has also cracked my front grill with a hole the size of a toonie.

No plate on the back, I managed to find a plate on the front when I drove around him to check and got the plate number. No company markings at all on the truck, just a old white beat up gravel truck/heavy hauler with a load screen not used for the back. Driver ignored my waving/signaling and continued Westbound.

Probably another reason to have a dashcam although in this case is there any recourse in what I can do? Windshield needs to be replaced for sure, probably at the point I'd get a ticket if I drove.

Non-emergency police line to report plate?
    Insurance?

Never had this happen to this extent, it sounded like a bomb went off when the rock's or whatever he was hauling bombarded my car.

Cheers
    I wonder if tirebob has started a sideline business?

I kid.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

The problem is if you have no proof it came OUT of his truck, not from his tires there's nothing you can do. Gravel is on the road, if you get a rock chip from a car you don't chase after them to pay for it, unless he threw something out of his window.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Originally posted by speedog

you calling my bluff? I recommend you never play poker with me... ever. If you think for a second I wouldn't pull that yahoo over, well. you couldn't be more wrong.

you calling my bluff? I recommend you never play poker with me... ever. If you think for a second I wouldn't pull that yahoo over, well. you couldn't be more wrong.
    Yes.

My Ride
    Nothing

What good would that do?

I had their ASA number, license plate, vehicle ID, company and wasn't able to get anything out of it.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Still

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:22 PM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

He'd give him a stern talking to, maybe even a dirty look
    ...and never mind the traffic charge, or worse, putting other peoples lives at risk.

My Ride
    G37X

I can relate to the sentiment, but playing chicken with coked out gravel truck operator is a recipe for death. Not worth it, nope.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

He'd give him a stern talking to, maybe even a dirty look
    Before or after getting a tire iron to the head?