Quantcast
Minimum height above finished flooring for window on upper level - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Minimum height above finished flooring for window on upper level

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

Default Minimum height above finished flooring for window on upper level

Hi All,

I am trying to get some info on the building code but finding it quite difficult. I think there might be a copy at the local law library but not too sure so I thought I'd see if anyone here happens to know.

I am wondering what the minimum height above the floor is for a window on the second level of a residential home. I see that in the US this height is typically 18". Is this the same for Canada? The window would be 30" wide and hoping to have it 84" high, but would possibly need safety glass to meet code.

Let me know! Thanks!
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Default Re: Minimum height above finished flooring for window on upper level

Originally posted by littledan
    Hi All,

I am trying to get some info on the building code but finding it quite difficult. I think there might be a copy at the local law library but not too sure so I thought I'd see if anyone here happens to know.

I am wondering what the minimum height above the floor is for a window on the second level of a residential home. I see that in the US this height is typically 18". Is this the same for Canada? The window would be 30" wide and hoping to have it 84" high, but would possibly need safety glass to meet code.

Let me know! Thanks!
    I've seen homes with floor to ceiling windows on the second level, so based on that, my guess is that there is no minimum.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Default Re: Re: Minimum height above finished flooring for window on upper level

Originally posted by you&me

I've seen homes with floor to ceiling windows on the second level, so based on that, my guess is that there is no minimum.
    Yep, a few downtown condos have that. But they probably have to meet some standard for glass type or shatter resistance.

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

I don't think there is a minimum Height..My windows sit right on my floor on my main level and upper level, they are commercial windows.... I have seen residential windows no more then 6 inches off the floor.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

ok right on thanks guys. I will talk to my builder and see if I can get a hold of the actual code to confirm.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    TDi

I was told, from my builder, that they had to revise a few windows upstairs. They were maybe 6 inches from the floor. They had to make them a bit smaller so they weren't so low?

Something to do with kids safety?
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Since there is fall hazard, floor to ceiling glass just like any other wall construction, should be designed as wall acting as guard. The major difference is the nature of glass. Unlike most other material, a small flaw in glass can jeopardize the integrity of the entire piece. The current building code doesn't address this issue very well since glass is not a common structural building material.

Long story short, there are a lot of questionable things out there. If you want to do it right, this is getting into specialty design, not something that you can get from your local hardware store. It can be done right.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by littledan
    ok right on thanks guys. I will talk to my builder and see if I can get a hold of the actual code to confirm.
    You may find information on wall acting as guard but you won't find much information regarding building a wall with glass in the actual building code. It will refer you to a different document, aka Structural Design of Glass for Buildings. Like I said, specialty stuff. This is not cookie cutter design if done properly.

for traditional windows, no curtain wall or anything, be cognisant of the height of your baseboard and casing to ensure no issues.

Ie. if your baseboard is 5 inch and your window casing is 3 inch, you should be atleast 8.5 - 9 inch above floor.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Your typical window manufacturer can't give you windows that are designed to act as guard so you can't put them anywhere guard is required. Minimum guard height for dwelling units is 900mm from finished floor. For cookie cutter design, that's as low as a window can go. Will the building official catch that? I can't say for sure but that's the building code. Otherwise design your glass to act as guard then you can put it as low as the floor.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Are there city bylaws pertaining to adding windows to a house Calgary?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

If I have to guess, there probably is a limit to the size and number of windows in between houses for fire spread control. What do I know, it will probably burn anyway.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by revelations
    Are there city bylaws pertaining to adding windows to a house Calgary?
    There are no city bylaws that pertain to window sizes or locations or spread of fire (as noted in the post below yours). There a development and building permit approval processes that need to be followed to add additional windows though yes. And you would need to comply to the applicable Alberta or National Building Codes, they do specify all those fun details about fire spread, etc.

In a private, single family home there are no restrictions to guard heights for window sills that I'm aware of. There are however guidelines for the amount operable windows can open below a certain height. This is to stop a small child from falling through a window screen (which has happened before).

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by 88CRX

There are no city bylaws that pertain to window sizes or locations or spread of fire (as noted in the post below yours). There a development and building permit approval processes that need to be followed to add additional windows though yes. And you would need to comply to the applicable Alberta or National Building Codes, they do specify all those fun details about fire spread, etc.

In a private, single family home there are no restrictions to guard heights for window sills that I'm aware of. There are however guidelines for the amount operable windows can open below a certain height. This is to stop a small child from falling through a window screen (which has happened before).
    There are also bylaw restrictions on windows which overlook a neighbouring property, and these have guidelines on how high the window must be above the floor, otherwise it will need to have obscured (ie: frosted) glass if it does overlook the neighbours. This mostly pertains the infill properties, but does exist.

My Ride
    992 T-hawk Golf R

Originally posted by Hash_man

There are also bylaw restrictions on windows which overlook a neighbouring property, and these have guidelines on how high the window must be above the floor, otherwise it will need to have obscured (ie: frosted) glass if it does overlook the neighbours. This mostly pertains the infill properties, but does exist.
    I thought this was the case as well. I didn't think you were allowed to have windows in line with a neighbors window. (next door neighbor, not across the street)
    I like neat cars.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Our house (build it 1979) has an original bedroom, narrow, picture window (floor to ceiling) that faces our next door neighbours, original, bathroom window.

No curtains on theirs, so we frosted ours.
    Last edited by revelations; 05-11-2016 at 07:43 PM.