Quantcast
1971 Ford - Handling questions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 1971 Ford - Handling questions

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Default 1971 Ford - Handling questions

So I checked out a 1971 ford van today that was pretty solid, but there's a few things that I'm hesitant on. It's a high top camper van so pretty heavy and high, just handles a little weird. Not too familiar with vehicles that age so it could just be the older engineering...

4 wheel drum brakes - Felt pretty squishy, like wondering if I'd stop in time for the intersection. I can imagine going downhill in the mountains I'd have to be pushing the pedal to the floor, seller insists that's normal for drum brakes and that the mechanics are solid and just takes getting used to.

Transmission - Shifted smoothly, but moving between P/D/N/R had a pretty solid clunk to it. Normal for old transmissions or signs it's on end of life?

Steering - He said it's all been maintained and the parts/linkage did look and feel very solid, but the steering didn't respond very well. It felt hard to keep in a straight line, though my passenger didn't notice. Seller just attributed it on the fact it's a van where you're sitting directly on top of the axle instead of behind it like normal and that the geometry catches a lot of wind, making the van swim a bit.

I'm just looking for a cheap mobile shelter/mountain bike hauler so the price is right, I just want to know if the shitty highway handling is normal for 70's engineering or if I should expect to have to rebuild the brakes, steering and transmission.
    Last edited by birdman86; 05-14-2016 at 08:48 PM.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Sounds like a 70s Ford...
    From your description it all sounds like any older vehicle, its hard to tell if there's actually something wrong unless you're actually driving it. If things haven't been rebuilt recently it would probably benefit from new parts, but its still 70s engineering.

Perhaps find someone that's driven something similar to give you a second opinion.
    It does sound like you're uncomfortable with the steering and braking ability. Maybe you should pass regardless if its normal or not.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Brakes - Likely spongy old flex hoses and fluid that was last changed 4 presidents ago. Should be an easy fix. Properly set up drum brakes aren't as bad as everyone says.

Transmission - A clunk between D and R is often as simple as old worn u-joints.

Steering - Twin I-beam fords weren't great when they were new, but shouldn't be dangerously loose. Check the radius arm bushings, and there is an adjustment on the top of the steering box that will take a little slop out.

The good news is that if any of those items need work, parts are generally pretty cheap and it should be very easy to work on.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

40 year old top heavy with probably no proper maintenance done and you wonder why it drives like a turd? LOL.

That sucker is probably going to need a good mechanical overhaul.

As others have said, it's likely a combination of a little slop in a lot of places that is making it feel 'weird'. It may also be old tires that could have belts separating, or maybe bad caster/camber/toe-in adjustments (do the tires have any abnormal wear? Check the rears, too, in case the seller swapped tires front to back).

I also agree that 4-wheel drum brakes are not nearly as bad as what many would have you believe. They likely need a thorough inspection, just like any newer braking system would: old flex hoses can give bad pedal feel; leaking wheel seals can contaminate the brake shoes with brake fluid, or hub seals can leak grease onto the shoes. Also, lots of people can't properly adjust drum brakes anymore, and misadjustment doesn't always result in a pull to one side or the other.

Does it have power steering? If so, it likely needs fresh fluid, and maybe new hoses. As someone else said, most of the old steering boxes have an adjustment screw and locknut that allow you to slightly adjust the play in the box.

I would be much more concerned with a transmission that hesitates when you change gears than one that is harsh. What does the transmission fluid look and smell like? Any metallic sheen to the fluid? Black, smelly, and shiny are danger signs.

My Ride
    Toyota’s

Originally posted by firebane
    40 year old top heavy with probably no proper maintenance done and you wonder why it drives like a turd? LOL.

That sucker is probably going to need a good mechanical overhaul.
    Fair enough

The vehicle is actually really solid besides the things I mentioned which is why I wonder if it might just be the 45 year old engineering. Only has 130,000 km's or so, still has paint on the inner fenders and underbody, starts right up and purrs like a baby.

Like they say, old vehicles have "personality". For better or worse.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

These vans may have a "rag joint" in the steering that can be replaced/rebuilt. Some trucks of that vintage did. There are just so many things in the steering system that can loosen up over time.

When I had Ford trucks from the 70's, I always felt I was "herding" it down the road with constant corrections.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?