Quantcast
Competition board rules TREB must release Real Estate Sales Data - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition board rules TREB must release Real Estate Sales Data

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

Default Competition board rules TREB must release Real Estate Sales Data

So far, this is just in Toronto, but it was widely seen as a test case for the rest of Canada.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/treb...unal-1.3570431
    This will open up the market to a variety of services that operate at lower fee structures than traditional real estate agents, including online-only brokerages.

Suspect over time, we will see the number of real estate agents drop, and only a small number of very strong individuals will thrive, while the bottom and middle of the market is taken over by newer business models.

Thoughts? Is this a big deal?

Unfortunately, this doesn't change anything because only realtors are able disseminate this data. It's not a true API service that any third-party can tap into and build a website around.

We're still stuck with realtor-developed websites that have intentionally horrible UIs meant to wear you down trying to use it until you give up and call a realtor.

Until cities start maintaining an open database with real estate listing/sales information and allowing any third party to build a service on top of that database (Imagine AirBnb developing a website on top of this database ), and we can bypass Realtors, we'll continue to be scammed outrageous commissions for Realtor's laughable "services".

Realtors are the worst pyramid scheme on the face of this planet. Unlike Quixtar or Scientology - who you can go your whole life avoiding - Realtors got their paws on the basic need of housing. Now everyone has to participate in their shameless pyramid scheme
    Last edited by RedDawn; 05-10-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Can't you already get sold price lists from CREB realtors?

edit: Aah, I see that the issue is making the data public. I don't know about this, should every auto dealership be forced to provide lists that identify the price they sold every vehicle at? Should tirebob be forced to give up his businesses' sold price information or inrich or anyone else who owns a company that sells a product or service?
    Last edited by speedog; 05-10-2016 at 01:57 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Originally posted by RedDawn
    Unfortunately, this doesn't change anything because only realtors are able disseminate this data. It's not a true API service that any third-party can tap into and build a website around.

We're still stuck with realtor-developed websites that have intentionally horrible UIs meant to wear you down trying to use it until you give up and call a realtor.

Until cities start maintaining an open database with real estate listing/sales information and allowing any third party to build a service on top of that database (Imagine AirBnb developing a website on top of this database ), and we can bypass Realtors, we'll continue to be scammed outrageous commissions for Realtor's laughable "services".

Realtors are the worst pyramid scheme on the face of this planet. Unlike Quixtar or Scientology - who you can go your whole life avoiding - Realtors got their paws on the basic need of housing. Now everyone has to participate in their shameless pyramid scheme
    I prefer zolo over realtor.com I presume they are just tapping into the mls database somehow though.

How well does a discount brokerage like Comfree compare to an MLS listing? I feel like it still doesn't get the same exposure as a proper MLS listing using a realtor.

Although I understand realtors spend alot of time dealing with flakers and showing people around, they simply are not a necessity in today's age of the internet + Kijiji. It's an old way of doing things, similar to the dealership model of new car sales, and only still exists because of industry laws restricting more efficient sales models. You wouldn't sign a contract with a car salesman before you find a car to buy, so to do so in buying a home is a joke.

This actually could turn into a big deal and has created some good dialogue at my brokerage about the future of the real estate business. I'm a firm believer that information should be free and it's my performance that I should get paid for.

Default Re: Competition board rules TREB must release Real Estate Sales Data

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    Suspect over time, we will see the number of real estate agents drop, and only a small number of very strong individuals will thrive, while the bottom and middle of the market is taken over by newer business models.
    AGREED!

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by nobb
    How well does a discount brokerage like Comfree compare to an MLS listing? I feel like it still doesn't get the same exposure as a proper MLS listing using a realtor.
    ComFree without buying agent commission is no different than Kijji, Ebay or Beyond postings.

Making sold prices public isn't that big of deal IMO. Most good buying agents will pull that for you to manage expectations.

Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
    So far, this is just in Toronto, but it was widely seen as a test case for the rest of Canada.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/treb...unal-1.3570431
    This will open up the market to a variety of services that operate at lower fee structures than traditional real estate agents, including online-only brokerages.

Thoughts? Is this a big deal?
    In this case, sounds like the agent want to use the data to fan the flames in the TO market to pressure buyers to commit before they are priced out.

The reverse could be true in Calgary where people may wait it out if data shows a downward or no growth trend.

I think real estate agent will still be needed in the future because we buy houses may be 2-5 times in a lifetime. You will still need someone in the know to go thru the process.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 05-10-2016 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by speedog
    I don't know about this, should every auto dealership be forced to provide lists that identify the price they sold every vehicle at? Should tirebob be forced to give up his businesses' sold price information or inrich or anyone else who owns a company that sells a product or service?
    Do they have a monopoly on those industries? If so, then yes, the government seems to think so, and I would agree.

Eventually it all comes crashing down anyways when somebody figures out how to "disrupt" the monopoly. Sometimes its just not worth the effort to do so, but sooner or later someone has a bright idea to do something about it.

It's kind of the whole point of the government guarding against monopolies, it can make it extremely difficult to break into the market when a company has a monopoly. Look at Tesla and trying to be a startup car manufacturer and the whole "dealership" crap.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by speedog
    I don't know about this, should every auto dealership be forced to provide lists that identify the price they sold every vehicle at? Should tirebob be forced to give up his businesses' sold price information or inrich or anyone else who owns a company that sells a product or service?
    Big difference though. Realtors willingly provide sales prices to all their customers. The data is available to their customers, but not the general public.

Originally posted by RedDawn

Are the data available somehow? That's all I would need.

Originally posted by suntan
    Are the data available somehow? That's all I would need.
    The city provides it through the assessment website but is usually very out of date and limited in what you can access.

My Ride
    Parked in the Bike Lane

http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn...-data-public-2
    Case may be heading to the Supreme Court.

My take is that if realtors loose their stranglehold on the data , it will dramatically reduce the need for traditional realtors.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not really new news but a new article in the financial post about it anyway.
    http://business.financialpost.com/re...r-lock-and-key
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Should hear more news soon:
    https://business.financialpost.com/r...te-data-battle
    Supreme Court to release a decision today.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Model S

I forgot how awful the situation is in Canada with realtors desperately trying to maintain their gatekeeping in the RE market. We have several sites with a ton of really good data that you don’t even need to sign up for. Super helpful. Redfin in particular has really disrupted the market. It gives you more info than even realtors get access to in canada, and way more than the public gets in canada. Zillow is another good one. Since data is open, whoever can put the best interface on it and collect from the different sources wins in the market. Unlike the REBs which have no incentives to innovate and strong incentives to withhold data so you need to talk to a realtor.

Then again RE fees are even worse here, so they had it coming. Standard rate is flat 6%. So on a $1M house, in Seattle you’d dish out $60k to the realtor for doing sweet fuck all, where with “normal” (unnegotiated) rates you’d pay $37k for that in AB.

We've bought several revenue properties over the last 2 years or so and i can ienquvaclly say the realty business in Canada is a criminal organization

The fees too high, the service useless, the market manipulating and controlling is criminal.

Weve almost lost deals because is realtors. The comisions system is crooked and encourages low prices and rushed close for sellers. Theres no paperwork provided to prove what they say .

I laugh when i see those should have used realtor commercials. I found issues in 7 minutes on google that the realtor misses.

Needs to be made illegal and blown apart.
    Last edited by Gestalt; 08-23-2018 at 11:44 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

There's so many subpar realtors out there. They are worse than nothing. They've given the entire profession a bad name, especially to anyone who hasn't used a great one like Jordan.

Honestly, the industry has done this to itself. Allowing shitty realtors to make a good living has created this issue.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Well said.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Ive said it before and I’ll say it again. Realtors are overpaid for the work they actually do. Realtors don’t find buyers anymore and I’ve heard it from many people that when they hire a realtor to sell their house they straight out get told “There’s 5000+ other realtors in Calgary and they will bring buyers, it’s not my job to find you a buyer”

Rates need to come down because houses are so expensive now a days.
    Professionally Retired

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast