Quantcast
Competition board rules TREB must release Real Estate Sales Data - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Competition board rules TREB must release Real Estate Sales Data

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like someone has come out with an easily searchable database for this type of data in select cities, including Calgary. https://www.honestdoor.com/map
    Had a little fun this morning clicking around my street. Still feel great about what I paid for my place.
    That's pretty cool. I like how it shows any permits pulled as well.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Brad, but why bother accessing it through your website if it's a) no better and b) less convenient? I don't see the value when there's an easier alternative.
    All I’m saying is it’s easy to access sold information anywhere. How you choose to use it is an entirely different subject.

My Ride
    ute

that site is badass! great find.

RIP Jordan's pricing request thread, lol

My Ride
    E46 M3

Looks like someone has come out with an easily searchable database for this type of data in select cities, including Calgary. https://www.honestdoor.com/map
    Had a little fun this morning clicking around my street. Still feel great about what I paid for my place.
    That's awesome. Don't have to bug my realtor at all. Now if I only I can just set up viewings without the realtor being present too. All the key boxes nowadays are all bluetooth/wifi anyway.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by The BMW Guy View Post
    That's awesome. Don't have to bug my realtor at all. Now if I only I can just set up viewings without the realtor being present too. All the key boxes nowadays are all bluetooth/wifi anyway.
    Huge liability there. I can’t imagine any home owner or builder allowing people to enter their property unattended.

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    All I’m saying is it’s easy to access sold information anywhere. How you choose to use it is an entirely different subject.
    it's not about how to use the data, it's about how to much of a pain it was to get it in the first place.

i.e. before this site, you either had to ask a realtor, or go on your website and create an account, and it still was a pain to use. Now, go to this site and have much richer information with a great interface without having to create an account.

I understand how this is a negative thing for realtors such as yourself but at least be realistic here instead of implying nothing has changed.

A semi-detached home from 89Coupe (hahahaha)
    My Ride
    A Gallardo from SDS (hahahaha)

Quote Originally Posted by The BMW Guy View Post
    Working on it - https://www.bodecanada.com/howitworks

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Quote Originally Posted by sabad66 View Post
    it's not about how to use the data, it's about how to much of a pain it was to get it in the first place.

i.e. before this site, you either had to ask a realtor, or go on your website and create an account, and it still was a pain to use. Now, go to this site and have much richer information with a great interface without having to create an account.

I understand how this is a negative thing for realtors such as yourself but at least be realistic here instead of implying nothing has changed.
    It’s not negative at all, I think it’s great. The more information available the better.

My Ride
    XT6

Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Haha, so you want it for free but you don’t want to take a few minutes to setup an account that’s free?
    Exactly.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

@ExtraSlow

Neat site. Thanks for sharing.

Got to see what the house was worth when it was first built.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Amazing tool. Great post. But I'm beyond irritated that they chose to make their cluster colours the same as park colours. This is a colourblind persons nightmare haha.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Quote Originally Posted by CompletelyNumb View Post
    Amazing tool. Great post. But I'm beyond irritated that they chose to make their cluster colours the same as park colours. This is a colourblind persons nightmare haha.
    The site is still a work in progress. Funny how it's already a better service than anything you'd get from the greasy realtors, despite the realtors being around for decades and charging thousands for their fake "help" when using their service. Realtors intentionally cripple all innovation so you an have an artificial reason to use a realtor...
    Last edited by RedDawn; 10-06-2019 at 02:57 PM.

My Ride
    Trucks

Well, it only shows Calgary and Edmonton with no satellite communities. So not useful at all to many people.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

This is awesome!! Thanks for sharing. The condos don't seem as update-to-date but still for what it has right now, incredible!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

TREB in the news again:
    https://financialpost.com/real-estat...sions-go-ahead

Class action against Toronto real estate industry over commissions gets green light
    Federal Court has granted approval for a class-action lawsuit alleging price-fixing and anti-competitive practices
    Author of the article: Shantaé Campbell
    Published Sep 26, 2023 • Last updated 2 hours ago • 2 minute read

After two years of deliberations, the Federal Court has granted approval for a class-action lawsuit alleging price-fixing and anti-competitive practices to proceed against the real estate industry in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA).

The lawsuit, filed in April 2021 on behalf Toronto resident Mark Sunderland and anyone who sold a home in the GTA after 2010, alleges misconduct by several of the nation’s leading brokerages, including Century 21, Remax and IproRealty Ltd. The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and the Toronto Regional Real Estate Board (TRREB) are also named in the lawsuit.
    On Sept. 25, Chief Justice Paul Crampton permitted the case to proceed, positing that there exists a plausible argument that rules put illicit restrictions on the pricing of buyer brokerage services. The respondents had petitioned the court to dismiss the claim, citing a lack of merit.
    The lawsuit contends that the brokerages engaged in an agreement to artificially increase buyer brokerage commissions, which were shouldered by home sellers in the GTA. It is also alleged that CREA and TRREB facilitated and contributed to the execution of this arrangement.
    Commission structures for real estate agents and their brokerages differ nationwide, usually involving a percentage-based commission derived from a home’s sale price. In Alberta and British Columbia, the commission structure is typically seven per cent on the initial $100,000 and three per cent on the remaining balance. Conversely, in Toronto, commission is five per cent on the entire amount of the sale.
    Although the seller is responsible for paying the entire commission, it is divided between the brokerage representing them and the one representing the buyer.
    According to Garth Myers, a partner at Kalloghlian Myers LLP — the law firm responsible for filing Sunderland’s lawsuit — the agreement to split the commission obstructs market competition by forcing sellers to shoulder costs that would typically not be incurred in the absence of such an arrangement, consequently restricting the ability to negotiate prices and leading to inflated brokerage commissions.
    “What we’re hoping to achieve in this case, is to eliminate these rules, which will result in cost savings to real estate sellers and buyers in the Toronto market,” Myers said. “We think there’s massive public benefit if we are successful. And so far, the court has agreed with us.”
    Kalloghlian Myers is pursuing compensation not just for Sunderland, but also for those who have sold residential real estate dating back to 2010.
    “We won’t stop until we can get compensation for sellers who have been impacted by this,” stated Myers.
    In an email, the Canadian Real Estate Association said, “we continue to believe the claims against TRREB, CREA and other defendants are without merit, and we will continue to defend our members in this case.”
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

5% commission on the entire sale is nuts.

My Ride
    V8s

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    Exactly my thoughts as I read that.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

It's what buys Lambos and M5 Competitions.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

It's almost as if price-fixing and anti-competitive practices strongly benefit a specific group of people.
    Ultracrepidarian

Quote Originally Posted by pheoxs View Post
    7/3 is also nuts.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast