Quantcast
Home Security - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Home Security

My Ride
    e92

Default Home Security

Any suggestions? Who are you using? What sort of cost per month?

I've been meaning to put up a couple cameras around the house and like the idea of being able to access it from a smart phone app. A Vivint rep was in my area yesterday and I like the idea of home monitoring as well as the additional features (doorbell camera, security camera, door locks, etc). I dont like the idea of being forced to sign a 42 month contract.

Now I know I could go out and purchase the doorbell camera, bluetooth door locks, and all that other crap but you still wont get the home monitoring services so I am leaning towards an alarm company that offers all these services in one package.

Any other suggestions outside of Vivint and if you have Vivint how is it??

My Ride
    06 S2000

I had the Vivint guy come by my place. He was very... insistent. I like the idea, but not the cost ($75/month for how long?).

I'm not worried about the monitoring (his line on the bylaw was bullshit btw), but really, I'd rather pay the up front costs for all the hardware than the monthly costs.

I had some relatives over, and he came in (to "show my the prices") and then completely interrupted them, gave them the same shpiel (it's my house), and took forever to leave. I was initially interested, but did some research and didn't like how the reviews were talking about installers and getting out of contracts (and the free move stuff).

I finally convinced him to leave, and that I would consider it (I did, because I like to research things), and decided it wasn't for me. He came back the next day and harassed my fiancee to the point where she locked all the doors, closed all the blinds, and called me, while being extremely upset, because of how insistent he was. She was scared of what he might do.

So I'm totally against Vivint, but very for smart home features. I'd love to get some internal/external cameras, I already have the nest thermostats, and I've had the "lockitron" ordered since 2013 .
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    e92

The sales guys are usually younger guys without much for knowledge or manners. The dude walked into my house with his shoes on LOL. I can look past the guy that knocks on doors all day for a living. Not worried about the sales guys more so the the product and service and whether its worth it for the people currently using the service.

Default Re: Home Security

Originally posted by nytrydr89
    Any suggestions? Who are you using? What sort of cost per month?

I've been meaning to put up a couple cameras around the house and like the idea of being able to access it from a smart phone app. A Vivint rep was in my area yesterday and I like the idea of home monitoring as well as the additional features (doorbell camera, security camera, door locks, etc). I dont like the idea of being forced to sign a 42 month contract.

Now I know I could go out and purchase the doorbell camera, bluetooth door locks, and all that other crap but you still wont get the home monitoring services so I am leaning towards an alarm company that offers all these services in one package.

Any other suggestions outside of Vivint and if you have Vivint how is it??
    beyond search will reveal this - quite recent and probably still very applicable.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

I have been with Vivint for years. I don't have any complaints. My contract has expired and now I'm thinking about switching to self monitoring system. The monthly fee goes a long way for getting your own system. With the popularity of smartphones nowadays, you can easily assign access to other people in case you are out of reach. The only problem is internet connection. If it's down for whatever reason, you have nothing. I'm not too concern with breakins. I'm more concern with fire, temperature of the house, pipe burst that kind of things.

My Ride
    Trucks

Other than the totally rude and ignorant sales staff, I really like the Vivint system I have. Cost is $55/month and I have the automation pack with smart locks, cameras, t-stats, smoke, flood, garage control, appliance and lights, etc. Everything works well and they have good updates every few months.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

We have everything. Door sensors, alarm, IP camera, motion sensors, the whole bit. Ended up costing me some $400 in equipment, and we've been running it for years with no charge.

Sure, it isn't monitored by someone else, but if tripped it lets me know, and I can even confirm if there really is an intrusion with the IP cameras. I could relay the description of the perps to the cops directly. To me, that's even better, and I don't pay a thing outside my initial investment.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Where did you get all your equipment from?
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    TDi

We currently have the Canary system and ADT. When we move in to our new place we might think about getting rid of ADT altogether as it has given us more problems than anything (faulty equipment- had to leave work on many occasions).

We are likely to get a second Canary system as it has everything we need. 90db alarm, monitoring online, tests the air quality, can save and send videos, and have live feeds.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    G37X

What's wrong with a good ol' fashioned marine combat knife underneath the mattress? Much cheaper.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    What's wrong with a good ol' fashioned marine combat knife underneath the mattress? Much cheaper.
    Doesn't do much when you aren't at home. Most you can hope for is they slice their hand when looking for money under your mattress.

I got all my stuff of eBay some 5 years ago. I imagine the systems are far better half a decade later.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
    Where did you get all your equipment from?
    Rip off other people's cameras.

I'm sourcing 2 Trendnet dome cameras and a poe hub and I'm over $400 already.

Im with Vivint. Pretty pleased with them other than some BS around the availability of outdoor cameras.

I managed to get all of my stuff for free on only a 3 year term. Its extremely rare to get both but if you play the guy right, its not an issue.

I pay around $65+tax a month for the security and home automation package. This includes

2-Zwave Door locks
    2-Glass break sensors
    4-Window sensors
    2-Door Sensors
    1-Zwave garage door controller
    1-Zwave smoke detector
    1-Doorbell Cam
    1-Outdoor cam (had to pay the $50 install on this)

Also if you do go vivint and plan on adding other hardware later, get him to remove the auto disable for the installer code. Google will tell you what the default code is.

All in all its a well put together system and the home automation portion is getting better with every update. I can control everything from the app and it hasn't failed me yet.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Originally posted by Xtrema

Rip off other people's cameras.

I'm sourcing 2 Trendnet dome cameras and a poe hub and I'm over $400 already.
    Do some digging, a lot of the Trendnet cameras are re-branded and marked up 200%

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:32 PM.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Effective this year, police do not respond to home alarms anymore unless a break-in is confirmed by the home owner first

That means the most effective system you can have is a self monitored one that alerts your phone
    Just report that someone is driving at 1km/h over the speed limit, they will send the swat team.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by The_Penguin

Do some digging, a lot of the Trendnet cameras are re-branded and marked up 200%
    They are rebranded Hikvision which is about $30 more for the one I'm looking at.

TrendNet seems to include software as well. What does everyone use for IP camera recording?

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Effective this year, police do not respond to home alarms anymore unless a break-in is confirmed by the home owner first

That means the most effective system you can have is a self monitored one that alerts your phone
    Are you talking about the CPS? I have RCMP here.

They are rebranded Hikvision which is about $30 more for the one I'm looking at.

TrendNet seems to include software as well. What does everyone use for IP camera recording?
    I'm using the security software on my Qnap. (which only included two camera license)

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Blue Iris. Insanely good for a very reasonable price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast