Quantcast
Getting a small truck unsure which to get - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Getting a small truck unsure which to get

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by ekguy

Yeah I was looking into these as well. Basically as long as I can haul my mountain bikes and caming gear im good.

How reliable is the supercharged 6 from nissan?

I've expanded the search to 4runners/Rangers/Pathfinders/Tacomas/Landcruiser/B series/Canyon/Colorado/Sonoma/S10

Any others would fit the bill?
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ine/1161756395

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...4wd/1153825033

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

If you're looking at those Frontiers look under and see if the radiator bypass has been done and check coolant for pink/purple milkshake of death. Otherwise I think I want one as well after having a trusty 06 Pathfinder for a couple years. ..sold it with 279,000 km on the clock and still ran like new and the 4 lt v6 is awesome. ..290 ft lbs of torque.

My Ride

I used to have a 08 Tacoma as my first truck, it was OK but felt kind of useless when it came time for it to do "truck stuff". Mind you, it was a short box and that added to a lot of the issues ie. can't haul a quad. (lesson learned). I also found it pretty gutless, small inside, not that good on gas... It didn't take long before I realized that the only trucks worth getting are full size trucks.

Sold the Taco, bought a 1500 Silverado and am not looking back. For the same money I got a newer truck that has more options, is more capable, comfortable, better on gas, and just as reliable.

The Frontier has the edge over the Taco on most things IMO with it's major downfall being resale (although at your budget it does not matter as much). If i was looking for a Frontier I would go with an N/A engine

Edit: Like Aleks suggested the Ridgeline is a great truck too, but don't expect to get too much use out of that box
    Last edited by euro_racer; 05-13-2016 at 11:27 AM.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

IMO Rangers are pointless... gas mileage is a joke. But nobody should be buying a truck for gas mileage.

I would recommend to just skip the small trucks and get a half ton. I don't see much of an advantage to smaller trucks. They're not much better on gas and they're not even much smaller in size. Get better interior, power and versatility out of a half ton.

If you must get a smaller truck, taco has my vote. Look the best and seem to hold value good.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    G37X

Yeah I was looking into these as well. Basically as long as I can haul my mountain bikes and caming gear im good.

How reliable is the supercharged 6 from nissan?

I've expanded the search to 4runners/Rangers/Pathfinders/Tacomas/Landcruiser/B series/Canyon/Colorado/Sonoma/S10

Any others would fit the bill?
    He uses it to haul his dirt/street bike/commute/light off roading etc. It's very capable for what it is. I'd say it's miles ahead of the ranger in every dept except maybe fuel economy.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

what a rip off. 3k for that junk? you crae? maybe 800

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by NoPulp
    IMO Rangers are pointless... gas mileage is a joke. But nobody should be buying a truck for gas mileage.

I would recommend to just skip the small trucks and get a half ton. I don't see much of an advantage to smaller trucks. They're not much better on gas and they're not even much smaller in size. Get better interior, power and versatility out of a half ton.

If you must get a smaller truck, taco has my vote. Look the best and seem to hold value good.
    I agree with this. And they're not even cheaper to buy and own that a half ton. I love every small truck I've driven and wanted a Tacoma badly for many years. Just doesn't seem worth it to me though

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by InRich
    what a rip off. 3k for that junk? you crae? maybe 800
    And what nice things do you have to say about his other ad?
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/fs-1999-...18#post4567318

My Ride
    Cayman

When I traded in my 09 for the 14 Nissan gave me $18.5k for a 5 year old Pro-4X crew cab with 110k kms and it was in 7/10 condition. Bought the exact same truck with every factory accessory and remote starter for $39k so I would say that resale value is decent.

OP, you could probably find a decent deal on an 2005+ Xterra as well like these ones:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

$5000 KMs are crazy high at 228k though

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/c...ationFlag=true

$9.5k with 150k kms.
    Last edited by Proyecto2000; 05-14-2016 at 12:08 AM.

of the small trucks I drove... I have to say that the older, which is impossible to find, 4.3 S10 Zr2 were not bad if you didn't mind the front end work.

The Ranger 4.0 w/ tow package is surprisingly stout, but rangers lacked any crew cab options.

the dakota 4.7 w/ the twin spark plugs was bordering on capabilities of a half ton, but still in a "smallish" size.

colorado/canyons were awful

Taco/Frontier are fine trucks as well, but have gotten larger over the years... half almost halfton payload capabilities... and the taco holds its value.

I've not driven the frontier but I reckon it to be just like the xterra, and that 4.0L engine is quite strong

My Ride
    93 integra

Love the advice so far!!

I'm not that concerned with passenger comfort. As long as I can fit 3 bikes in or on the truck and 3 people in the cab somehow, it'll do the trick. The only limiting factor to me biking every weekend has been lack of a truck.

Not going to go bigger than a Ranger/Taco/Frontier as I know I will never need a bigger truck than that.

To be honest I'd almost rock a early 90's s10. My dad had one back in the day and the thing was bulletproof

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

Originally posted by jwslam

And what nice things do you have to say about his other ad?
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/fs-1999-...18#post4567318
    bro... get off it. move on. lifes too short.

I test drove the new tacomas as well. Was not impressed.

I love the tundra but 4Runner was more practical for me.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

^ i know right? Last time I walked into a Toyota dealership, test drove the Tocoma and the Tundra, and I gotta say... Those trucks are pieces of shit! The Tocoma, interior felt, like I was ina cheap 1990s Corolla. And they were asking 56k for it! Its absurd. For 56k I you can get a REALLY NICE F150, which is superior in every way.

The Tundra, was the worst truck I test drove when I was looking at trucks. It was gutless, cheap interior, very noisy on the high way, it didn't have a 4wheel Auto mode, which I found in every other truck I test drove. It was just junk. and they wanted 70+k for it. I mean....

When Helen was looking for a SUV, back when I was dating her, we test drove a RAV4. and that was the worst vehicle I ever test drove in my life, and it was expensive.

I really dont know why people pay good money for Toyotas. I get it, their supposed to be reliable, and good resale value, but their fucking garbage.

I'm personally never walking into a Toyota dealership again. waste of time

btw. notice how hard it is to step in and out of the Tocoma, when its equipped with their stock steppers? its UNREAL!

Originally posted by InRich
    ^ i know right? Last time I walked into a Toyota dealership, test drove the Tocoma and the Tundra, and I gotta say... Those trucks are pieces of shit! The Tocoma, interior felt, like I was ina cheap 1990s Corolla. And they were asking 56k for it! Its absurd. For 56k I you can get a REALLY NICE F150, which is superior in every way.

The Tundra, was the worst truck I test drove when I was looking at trucks. It was gutless, cheap interior, very noisy on the high way, it didn't have a 4wheel Auto mode, which I found in every other truck I test drove. It was just junk. and they wanted 70+k for it. I mean....

When Helen was looking for a SUV, back when I was dating her, we test drove a RAV4. and that was the worst vehicle I ever test drove in my life, and it was expensive.

I really dont know why people pay good money for Toyotas. I get it, their supposed to be reliable, and good resale value, but their fucking garbage.

I'm personally never walking into a Toyota dealership again. waste of time

btw. notice how hard it is to step in and out of the Tocoma, when its equipped with their stock steppers? its UNREAL!
    though I can somewhat agree that Japanese vehicles feel "japanese" I won't say that means they are garbage.

honestly the Taco and the Tundra fulfill and compliment the lineup by providing 2 distinct type of vehicles and their SUV offerings... and though I would't buy one, the Taco is IMO still the king of the small/offroad "sport" trucks.

they are made to be utilitarian and to stand up to true off road abuse, and are nimble in size to actually be useful offroad.

the Tundra could use some investment in its chassis, asit is not class leading anywhere, with the exception of its reliability.
    The truck may not be turbo'd, direct injected, lockered, full box frame, aluminum etc.. but it also is not irrelevant.

I will even go out on a limb here and say that the 1794/Platinum is one of the nicest truck interiors and maybe the best "seating position" out of all truck cabs.

Its engine is very solid and powerful, and IMO superior to the 5.3 and just as good as the Hemi
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 05-15-2016 at 09:22 PM.

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

They've come so far with mileage on the full size trucks, I couldn't be bothered with the small ones anymore, and I used to love my S10s and Rangers. My Ram 1500 Crew 4x4 5.7 gets better real world mileage than the RWD 4.0 Ranger and 4.3 Sonoma I've had, and also better than my buddys old ('14?) Tacoma 4.0 4x4.

Pricing wise, they don't make sense anymore either. New, the Canyon/Colorado/Frontier/Tacoma are priced way too close to a good domestic full size truck, and the used market is overpriced due to people willing to spend thousands more for the illusion of better economy.

Originally posted by carson blocks
    They've come so far with mileage on the full size trucks, I couldn't be bothered with the small ones anymore, and I used to love my S10s and Rangers. My Ram 1500 Crew 4x4 5.7 gets better real world mileage than the RWD 4.0 Ranger and 4.3 Sonoma I've had, and also better than my buddys old ('14?) Tacoma 4.0 4x4.

Pricing wise, they don't make sense anymore either. New, the Canyon/Colorado/Frontier/Tacoma are priced way too close to a good domestic full size truck, and the used market is overpriced due to people willing to spend thousands more for the illusion of better economy.
    I think as there has been a growing truck market specifically in the crew cab shortbox variation (as a compromise to an SUV/Crossover), that is where the investment has been mostly focused in.

Its hard to justify a Taco (even with the latest goodies) when for the same prices you could end up in a F150 all the same goodies, and w/ the Aluminium, almost the same weight...
    Meanwhile, add almost a hundred more horsepower and plus that in torque... way more cabin space, a functional box, and over double the towing capability... and even more impressive is probably shaving over a second in 0-60 time.

That said, the Taco has its place and its the segement leader there.

I love offroaders, but the older I'm getting the more I appreciate versatility, and I'd sooner take a Taco than a Wrangler.

But its I think a "niche" which is why you don't get the value that you get in the half ton segment.

A jeep rubicon unlimited is almost the same price as a Ram Rebel or Ram Sport/Laramie, which not only is MUCH more vehicle, but also has a SUBSTANTIALLY nicer interior.

Meanwhile... I even think that just because of the demand for the half ton, and the competition in leading the class in both capability and fuel economy has yielded some really amazing half ton trucks, especially in the last 5 years.

That again is where the development on 1/4 ton trucks has been diminishing...
    No more Ranger, no more dakota...
    No changes to the Frontier, and really the Canyon and Taco are the contenders.

In the big-boy segment, I too find that changes are very pragmatic...
    Look at the superduty. Since 2003, I'm certain the cab remains fairly unchanged.
    Yes there has been improvements in the diesel side of things, but really its been: Duramax, Cummins and a series of awful powerstrokes (asides from the 7.3/6.7)

for your use case... I'd be happy with a ext cab daktoka w/ the 4.7 magnum engine, or a Ranger w/ the 4.0L
    I wouldn't bother looking for anything much older or newer, nor the Japanese variants as they will cost you more.
    Last edited by r3ccOs; 05-15-2016 at 09:38 PM.

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:29 AM.

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

I thought the new Frontier is confirmed for NA.

My Ride

I'm not that concerned with passenger comfort. As long as I can fit 3 bikes in or on the truck and 3 people in the cab somehow, it'll do the trick. The only limiting factor to me biking every weekend has been lack of a truck.

Not going to go bigger than a Ranger/Taco/Frontier as I know I will never need a bigger truck than that.

To be honest I'd almost rock a early 90's s10. My dad had one back in the day and the thing was bulletproof
    If you want to transport 3 people with any sort of comfort, I'd look away from the ranger or anything with jump seats. They are OK for short trips, but that's about it.

I'd look at a Frontier or Taco with the double cab. I don't like GM, but if you do, there is the S10 ZR5 as well

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast