Quantcast
Getting a small truck unsure which to get - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Getting a small truck unsure which to get

Originally posted by kaput

Development hasn't been diminishing. Ford has an all new Ranger, and Nissan recently released a redesigned Navara that would be a suitable replacement for the Frontier. Both vehicles are available overseas. I don't know why they keep them out of the North American market.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    That's because it's a Mazda.

It's like how there is the Hilux, the Petrol, LC, and in diesel variants...

Good ole reliable Japanese diesel trucks for the rest of the world that doesn't need a cab to sit NA fat assess and their big toys

My Ride
    '14 Taco

I always found it funny the guys who bring up doing 'truck stuff' with the smaller trucks. If i wanted a truck that was going to haul a travel trailer, or carry a contractor load of wood, or a quad, i'd never have looked at a Tacoma.

However, my version of 'truck stuff' includes getting into (and out) of some hairy shit, let me sleep in the back if i need/want to, throw the bikes in the back or on a hitch, can haul a tent trailer and all my camping stuff, take me fishing and back again, park in a reasonably small spot and garage, as well as having a turning radius that isn't of a battleship. Putting a canopy on it made it even less 'trucky', but way better for what i actually use it for. Can still put 4x8 sheets in the back with the canopy open (and really, how often are you doing that?)

No way would a 'true truck' fit my lifestyle better then what i use my taco for. Get what works for you, not try and make it work..

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Brent.ff
    I always found it funny the guys who bring up doing 'truck stuff' with the smaller trucks. If i wanted a truck that was going to haul a travel trailer, or carry a contractor load of wood, or a quad, i'd never have looked at a Tacoma.

However, my version of 'truck stuff' includes getting into (and out) of some hairy shit, let me sleep in the back if i need/want to, throw the bikes in the back or on a hitch, can haul a tent trailer and all my camping stuff, take me fishing and back again, park in a reasonably small spot and garage, as well as having a turning radius that isn't of a battleship. Putting a canopy on it made it even less 'trucky', but way better for what i actually use it for. Can still put 4x8 sheets in the back with the canopy open (and really, how often are you doing that?)

No way would a 'true truck' fit my lifestyle better then what i use my taco for. Get what works for you, not try and make it work..
    Only reason I know this is because when I was looking and comparing a Tacoma to a Tundra I looked up the dimensions. Tundra Crewmax has the exact same turning radius as the Tacoma Double cab. 44ft.

My Ride
    '14 Taco

Originally posted by Aleks

Only reason I know this is because when I was looking and comparing a Tacoma to a Tundra I looked up the dimensions. Tundra Crewmax has the exact same turning radius as the Tacoma Double cab. 44ft.
    more impressed with the Tundra then anything on that, Tacoma has a decently small radius (smaller then the colorado and frontier in their largest config)

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Is North America actually getting a new ranger? A decent ranger has been rumored even before it was gone. The idea of a light duty f150 has been around for along time as well. To my knowledge I've only heard about smaller Ford trucks in other parts of the world. Nothing for North America. South america has some really interesting ones.

I honestly don't see any real advantage to a small truck. Perhaps the older ones, but new ones aren't even very small anymore.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:29 AM.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Originally posted by kaput

How different are the Hilux and Tacoma? They seem like the domestic / international version of the same truck to me.
    Dimensions and ergonomics of them are different, they aren't rebadge like a 4runner/GX/Prado LC.

They did share the old 4 liter V6 for many years but most people opt for diesel overseas.

North americans want luxury from all their trucks, where as overseas, a truck is a truck.

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by Brent.ff

That's my exact thinking. I will never tow a trailer and if I ever do i'll get a proper "truck" for that. Right now I want to bike as much as humanly possible to do so. A small truck is all I'll need as mountain bikes and tents are not heavy.

I have more than enough friends with f250's and bigger for any of my hauling needs.

Personally I've always preferred smaller vehicles (owned mostly coupes and a couple 2 seaters)

I find out soon what's going on with my claim and then hopefully truck time.

Originally posted by ekguy

That's my exact thinking. I will never tow a trailer and if I ever do i'll get a proper "truck" for that. Right now I want to bike as much as humanly possible to do so. A small truck is all I'll need as mountain bikes and tents are not heavy.

I have more than enough friends with f250's and bigger for any of my hauling needs.

Personally I've always preferred smaller vehicles (owned mostly coupes and a couple 2 seaters)

I find out soon what's going on with my claim and then hopefully truck time.

Personally I liked the older Wrangler, Unlimited.... That was a proper off-road truck ... Like a larger side by side ATV. It was IMO better built than the current wrangler, with a bulletproof 4.0 that was underpowered.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3