Quantcast
Getting a small truck unsure which to get - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Getting a small truck unsure which to get

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,189
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by kaput


    Development hasn't been diminishing. Ford has an all new Ranger, and Nissan recently released a redesigned Navara that would be a suitable replacement for the Frontier. Both vehicles are available overseas. I don't know why they keep them out of the North American market.

    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version


    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    That's because it's a Mazda.

    It's like how there is the Hilux, the Petrol, LC, and in diesel variants...

    Good ole reliable Japanese diesel trucks for the rest of the world that doesn't need a cab to sit NA fat assess and their big toys

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '14 Taco
    Posts
    550
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    I always found it funny the guys who bring up doing 'truck stuff' with the smaller trucks. If i wanted a truck that was going to haul a travel trailer, or carry a contractor load of wood, or a quad, i'd never have looked at a Tacoma.

    However, my version of 'truck stuff' includes getting into (and out) of some hairy shit, let me sleep in the back if i need/want to, throw the bikes in the back or on a hitch, can haul a tent trailer and all my camping stuff, take me fishing and back again, park in a reasonably small spot and garage, as well as having a turning radius that isn't of a battleship. Putting a canopy on it made it even less 'trucky', but way better for what i actually use it for. Can still put 4x8 sheets in the back with the canopy open (and really, how often are you doing that?)

    No way would a 'true truck' fit my lifestyle better then what i use my taco for. Get what works for you, not try and make it work..

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade
    Posts
    4,936
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Brent.ff
    I always found it funny the guys who bring up doing 'truck stuff' with the smaller trucks. If i wanted a truck that was going to haul a travel trailer, or carry a contractor load of wood, or a quad, i'd never have looked at a Tacoma.

    However, my version of 'truck stuff' includes getting into (and out) of some hairy shit, let me sleep in the back if i need/want to, throw the bikes in the back or on a hitch, can haul a tent trailer and all my camping stuff, take me fishing and back again, park in a reasonably small spot and garage, as well as having a turning radius that isn't of a battleship. Putting a canopy on it made it even less 'trucky', but way better for what i actually use it for. Can still put 4x8 sheets in the back with the canopy open (and really, how often are you doing that?)

    No way would a 'true truck' fit my lifestyle better then what i use my taco for. Get what works for you, not try and make it work..
    Only reason I know this is because when I was looking and comparing a Tacoma to a Tundra I looked up the dimensions. Tundra Crewmax has the exact same turning radius as the Tacoma Double cab. 44ft.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    '14 Taco
    Posts
    550
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally posted by Aleks


    Only reason I know this is because when I was looking and comparing a Tacoma to a Tundra I looked up the dimensions. Tundra Crewmax has the exact same turning radius as the Tacoma Double cab. 44ft.
    more impressed with the Tundra then anything on that, Tacoma has a decently small radius (smaller then the colorado and frontier in their largest config)

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Lethbridge AB
    My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon
    Posts
    837
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Is North America actually getting a new ranger? A decent ranger has been rumored even before it was gone. The idea of a light duty f150 has been around for along time as well. To my knowledge I've only heard about smaller Ford trucks in other parts of the world. Nothing for North America. South america has some really interesting ones.

    I honestly don't see any real advantage to a small truck. Perhaps the older ones, but new ones aren't even very small anymore.

    1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    1,295
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    .
    Last edited by kaput; 03-12-2019 at 12:29 AM.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    AB
    My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad
    Posts
    1,536
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by kaput


    How different are the Hilux and Tacoma? They seem like the domestic / international version of the same truck to me.
    Dimensions and ergonomics of them are different, they aren't rebadge like a 4runner/GX/Prado LC.

    They did share the old 4 liter V6 for many years but most people opt for diesel overseas.

    North americans want luxury from all their trucks, where as overseas, a truck is a truck.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    calgary
    My Ride
    93 integra
    Posts
    2,160
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by Brent.ff
    I always found it funny the guys who bring up doing 'truck stuff' with the smaller trucks. If i wanted a truck that was going to haul a travel trailer, or carry a contractor load of wood, or a quad, i'd never have looked at a Tacoma.

    However, my version of 'truck stuff' includes getting into (and out) of some hairy shit, let me sleep in the back if i need/want to, throw the bikes in the back or on a hitch, can haul a tent trailer and all my camping stuff, take me fishing and back again, park in a reasonably small spot and garage, as well as having a turning radius that isn't of a battleship. Putting a canopy on it made it even less 'trucky', but way better for what i actually use it for. Can still put 4x8 sheets in the back with the canopy open (and really, how often are you doing that?)

    No way would a 'true truck' fit my lifestyle better then what i use my taco for. Get what works for you, not try and make it work..
    That's my exact thinking. I will never tow a trailer and if I ever do i'll get a proper "truck" for that. Right now I want to bike as much as humanly possible to do so. A small truck is all I'll need as mountain bikes and tents are not heavy.

    I have more than enough friends with f250's and bigger for any of my hauling needs.

    Personally I've always preferred smaller vehicles (owned mostly coupes and a couple 2 seaters)

    I find out soon what's going on with my claim and then hopefully truck time.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,189
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by ekguy


    That's my exact thinking. I will never tow a trailer and if I ever do i'll get a proper "truck" for that. Right now I want to bike as much as humanly possible to do so. A small truck is all I'll need as mountain bikes and tents are not heavy.

    I have more than enough friends with f250's and bigger for any of my hauling needs.

    Personally I've always preferred smaller vehicles (owned mostly coupes and a couple 2 seaters)

    I find out soon what's going on with my claim and then hopefully truck time.

    Personally I liked the older Wrangler, Unlimited.... That was a proper off-road truck ... Like a larger side by side ATV. It was IMO better built than the current wrangler, with a bulletproof 4.0 that was underpowered.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Similar Threads

  1. To small claims or not to small claims?

    By gretz in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 45
    Latest Threads: 02-05-2015, 01:33 PM
  2. Salvage Title car - Unsure

    By HomespunLobster in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 9
    Latest Threads: 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
  3. FS.4 Small/X-Small Lacoste Polo Tops

    By Neil4Speed in forum Miscellaneous Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 16
    Latest Threads: 04-21-2005, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •