Quantcast
Portland or San Francisco? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Portland or San Francisco?

My Ride
    G6

Default Portland or San Francisco?

What’s better for a trip where you’d fly in Friday AM and fly out Sunday PM? Wife and I are looking to get away for the weekend in a few weeks, and these two are the cheapest.

My Ride
    Lariat

I have never been to Portland, but I have been to San Fran and loved it. Spent one day walking around the entire city, really cool place to check out. Great restaurants, sightseeing, sporting events, hikes, etc.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by asp integra
    I have never been to Portland, but I have been to San Fran and loved it. Spent one day walking around the entire city, really cool place to check out. Great restaurants, sightseeing, sporting events, hikes, etc.

But have heard/read/seen some great stuff about Portland too. From a pure hipster/trendy/Instagram stand point, SF probably cooler lol
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Same here, SF is an amazing place and would be perfect for a quickie. Theres lots to see and do there and you dont need a car. Weather is all over the place though, we went in july and the morning was brisk, by lunch it was nice and hot then around 4 it was really cold. My cousin lives there and they said the summers always like that
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    and I did not have the only say in the matter (most people just want it done ASAP and don't care about quality).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If anything we made a better decision because we had a consensus and were all on the same page.

My Ride
    Hybrid

I'd do Portland for a weekend trip. There's more to do in the vicinity of SF (Napa, Silicon Valley, PCH) that I'd combine into a longer trip.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

If you like beer - go to portland

Also watch as much portlandia before you go as possible

My Ride
    G6

My fear is that 2 days is just too little time for San Francisco and we have no option of adding days.

Is San Francisco safe? Lots of stories regarding safety/homelessness etc

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Went to both last summer/fall. We took a road trip along the coast, ending in San Fran.

Portland: Nice city. If your thing is nature (nice parks) and just a relaxing, mind-off-things, Starbucks-sipping stay, this is the place to go.

San Francisco: Far more a trip for entertainment. Lots to see and do. Older style architecture with crazy streets makes for interesting surroundings. You are not leaving nearly enough time to check out all the different stuff there is to see, mind you, so you will likely leave disappointed.

Depending on what area you are in, there are a lot of weirdos, garbage, tents under overpasses, and these areas literally smell like piss. With the exception of the heavy tourist spots, this city is dirty, dirty, dirty. Even though we walked around these somewhat questionable areas, I never really felt unsafe. While there are tons of homeless, they generally leave you alone.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 05-12-2016 at 03:03 PM.

My Ride
    bus

Casa diablo in Portland is worth a visit

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Went to both last summer/fall. We took a road trip along the coast, ending in San Fran.
    Thinking of doing a similar road trip with the fiance and our dog. How long did you take? Do you think 8-9 days is enough for Calgary->San Fran and back? did you stop in Seattle at all?

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by sabad66

Thinking of doing a similar road trip with the fiance and our dog. How long did you take? Do you think 8-9 days is enough for Calgary->San Fran and back? did you stop in Seattle at all?
    Seattle is definitely worth stopping in. Pike Place market, and the rock and roll/music musem is really cool. There are other things, but those would be the things I'd hit if I only had a day or two.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Well, we took two weeks but it really depends on a lot of factors. How much do you want to see along the way? Are you taking the costal drive or cutting straight through? How fast do you drive? How many hours in a row are you comfortable driving? Do you want to see a few sites in San Fran, or do you want to see most of them?

Even at 2 weeks, we felt we were cutting it short. But we did spend an entire day in Seattle (I HATE HATE HATE driving in Seattle), an entire day in Portland, an afternoon at some petting zoo on Oregon I think, afternoon in the redwood forest, and on the way back, an entire day in Olympia. All in, we only spend 3 full days in San Francisco and it wasn't nearly enough time to see everything we wanted to see.

So, can you do it in 8-9 days? You can, but you won't be able to get in nearly what you want to see there, and won't be able to really soak in the amazing coast. (It really is gorgeous, and driving along that route is like no other drive I've experienced) I would advise 2 weeks minimum for the trip if you don't want to feel stressed out and rushed.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 05-12-2016 at 04:08 PM.

My Ride
    Hybrid

More info in these threads:
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/377788/pa...coast-highway/
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396355/-s...ong-the-route/

Consensus seems to be 2 weeks minimum, 3+ weeks is better
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

Originally posted by Feruk
    My fear is that 2 days is just too little time for San Francisco and we have no option of adding days.
    LOL what do you expect for a 2 day holiday Anywhere you go will feel rushed

I did this a couple years ago. We went down the west coast to SF and the up through Las Vegas. It took about 10 days with stops in smaller towns. It was fantastic. We will be going to the Oregon Coast in August. The drive is so relaxing...mainly because I'm the co-pilot the entire way.

My Ride
    WRX STI

Also did that road trip last year. It was about a 3 week long trip, I stayed in a nicer neighbourhood in Oakland that was basically Berkeley as Oakland is apparently pretty sketchy. San Francisco has an additional rental fee in the city but there is a bunch of listings in the Bay Area as Airbnb was founded here.

I cannot say much for Portland as I only stopped there for a greasy Jack in the Box burger.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskbuSuE4

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by Rocket1k78
    LOL what do you expect for a 2 day holiday Anywhere you go will feel rushed
    Untrue. I've been to a few nice cities where 2 days is more than enough. Example: Ljubljana.

I did the west coast road trip last summer. My route was

Calgary - Vancouver - Seattle - Portland - Crescent City (rest stop) - San Francisco - Portland - Calgary

You can do Calgary to Portland drive in 13 hours and Portland to San Francisco in 10 hours. That was my straight shot on the return leg only stopping for gas. If you got any questions let me know.

My Ride
    rally pig

it all depends on what you want to do.

I've only been to Portland once on our way to Astoria and thought it was meh, just like Seattle.
    But if you're a nature lover, there's lots to see around Oregon.

San Francisco IMO is a nicer getaway, better weather, more landmarks than Portland.
    Been twice now, 3-4 days each trip, first time in San Francisco only (Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Chinatown, etc), second time we stayed 2 nights in Monterey and 2 nights in SF.

We're going back again next weekend and this time we're doing 2 nights in Yosemite and 1 night in SF

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast