Quantcast
Making a dirt bike road legal? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Making a dirt bike road legal?

Default Making a dirt bike road legal?

I've always wanted a supermoto or dual sport and have been toying with the idea of trading my gixxer on one but can't find anything. Is it possible to make a 450mx bike road legal? Just for around town use. What makes say a klx different that i couldn't slap signals and lights on a kxf? There are lots of cheap 250 and 450 bikes for sale but no clue what is legal and how to go about it. Seen a couple supermoto crfs but they want crack money for them

Anyone done anything like this?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

It can be a pain in the ass. Why are you trying to SM a motocross bike? Why not buy a DRZ400 that's already done and ride that? There are lots of "factory" supermotos, WR250X, CRF250Xsm, DRZ400, KLX400, etc.

It's more than just adding signals. You'll need an upgraded stator, kickstand, wheels, tires, speedo, odometer, headlight, tail light, etc....

Well i have the bikelined up so if it's not that pricey I'd make mine into one. Yea makes sense though. $1500 for a crf if i can buy the extras

I've made every dirt bike I've owned street legal. It just makes life so much easier, you're often linking trails together with short rips on roads. I can't tell you how many times we've been stopped by forestry or RCMP officers and once they realize we're all setup road legal they let us go on our way no issues. We've stopped where we were all setup except for one rider who racked up about $500 in violations, no sympathy since I'd told him to sort his shit out about a dozen times.

I've only owned KTM's and the process has been easy, since they make street legal versions of their dirtbikes the parts can be found used all over kijiji or eBay.

Other brands have more issues. Often the stator can't handle the demand of a headlight. But the idea behind a simple led setup is actually pretty simple. If you want to just slap it together cheap head down to TJ's rummage through the box of harnesses for a good control unit, buy a relay or two from Crappy tire, bunch of wire, rig up a proximity switch to the rear brake and be done with it.

Want it to be more professional?
    http://sicassracing.com/store/produc..._kits/kawasaki
    They make kits for all makes so don't just look at Kawi stuff cause you can rig up just about anything made for any other brand.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Forgot about the Drz actually now that you mention it. Was seeing aprilias and ktms

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

You need to check the VIN on the bike as some bikes are offroad only classification and would be too much hassles to make road legal.

My Ride
    KTM

Originally posted by firebane
    You need to check the VIN on the bike as some bikes are offroad only classification and would be too much hassles to make road legal.
    Any bike can be changed from offroad to street. I have had dirt bikes registered as motorcycles several times due to the registry messing up....both new and used. I think there is supposed to be an inspection done to confirm it is street legal before they make the change or reg as a on road bike.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by craigcd

Any bike can be changed from offroad to street. I have had dirt bikes registered as motorcycles several times due to the registry messing up....both new and used. I think there is supposed to be an inspection done to confirm it is street legal before they make the change or reg as a on road bike.
    Registry messing up does not make it legal by any means.

CMVSS/VIN sticker must be of type MC or Motorcycle.
    If it says RUM or "restricted use motorcycle", you will never be road legal.

The registries dont inspect your vehicle, insurance doesnt ask to inspect your vehicle (unless older than 13 years). The most likely time for it to hit the fan is during an insurance claim, or an inquisitive traffic stop. High prices to pay.

So I found a bike that a guy wants to trade for my GSXR. It started out as a KLX450R which is what is is registered and insured as. He put a KX450F motor and suspension in it, added a battery and fans, all lights are LED. Really debating picking this thing up

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Skrilla
    So I found a bike that a guy wants to trade for my GSXR. It started out as a KLX450R which is what is is registered and insured as. He put a KX450F motor and suspension in it, added a battery and fans, all lights are LED. Really debating picking this thing up
    As stated above check the VIN number. Just cause someone did stuff doesn't make it legal an if you got into any major trouble would not be good for you.

As stated above check the VIN number. Just cause someone did stuff doesn't make it legal an if you got into any major trouble would not be good for you.
    Yea did that this morning, registries said it was fine and it is registered as a KLX450R

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Skrilla

Yea did that this morning, registries said it was fine and it is registered as a KLX450R
    So the VIN doesn't say RUM or anything? Like you've physically inspected the VIN?

My Ride
    Pushbroom

That's fishy.... The KLX450R has the same engine as the KX already, the exhaust is different and I believe maybe the intake cam and engine case to accept the starter, but other than that the same. The KLX also comes with a battery and electric start from the factory. The electric start would be tough to swap onto the KX engine as the cases are different as I said above... I'd walk away from that one.

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    That's fishy.... The KLX450R has the same engine as the KX already, the exhaust is different and I believe maybe the intake cam and engine case to accept the starter, but other than that the same. The KLX also comes with a battery and electric start from the factory. The electric start would be tough to swap onto the KX engine as the cases are different as I said above... I'd walk away from that one.
    Good to know I don't know sweet fuck all about these bikes. Just really want to find something street legal and the Gixxer has to go to make room. I'll keep looking. Thank you!

edit: this is the bike if your curious

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/c...ationFlag=true

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Link didn't work. But yes, pass on that one and keep looking.

The KLX450 is a great bike, but more suited to off road than you're looking for.

Check out the KLX400/DRZ400 (exact same machine, just one has a Suzuki badge and one a Kawasaki)

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda

Check out the KLX400/DRZ400 (exact same machine, just one has a Suzuki badge and one a Kawasaki)
    Keeping in mind that the DRZ400s and sm are legal, while the DRZ400e is not.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Altima

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
    ... If you want to just slap it together cheap head down to TJ's rummage through the box of harnesses ...
    side question, Is TJ's still kicking? I heard they closed. Please tell me I'm wrong lol
    Originally posted by WongYue

10% of a litre bike throttle should mean a 100cc right? I think I can handle that.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by ae92gts

side question, Is TJ's still kicking? I heard they closed. Please tell me I'm wrong lol
    TJs has been closed for a year or more just a empty parking lot now.

My Ride
    KTM

Registry messing up does not make it legal by any means.
    Not saying it does I am saying its possible. If wanted to register a dirt bike on the street I would make the needed modifications and go to a registry that would change it from dirt to street and avoid the inspection. at a bike shop.