Quantcast
Mid Engined C8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mid Engined C8

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

Default Mid Engined C8

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/5/1...tails-7733547/

Over a year ago, we heard that Chevrolet is finally going to pull the trigger and build a mid-engine Corvette. Obviously nothing has been confirmed and I even asked the Corvette’s chief engineer, Tadge Juechter, about this subject at Geneva last March. Of course he denied any knowledge, but today our colleagues at Car and Driver have managed to dig up additional information about the mid-engined C8. First off, it’s happening. Second, it’ll debut in production form at the 2018 Detroit Auto Show.

Power will initially come from the C7 Stingray’s 6.2-liter LT1 V8 with an output between 450-500 hp. Expect a base price of around (seriously?!) $80,000. The C7, meanwhile, will remain in production through 2017. So yes, the C7 and C8 will be built and sold together but only for a short time. In order to give the C7 and, not to mention, the traditional front-engined Corvette, a proper send off, C&D claims a new ultra high-performance edition will be unveiled, possibly to be called ZR1. Heading into 2019, the C8 will receive a new four-cam, 32-valve V8 that’ll push its price tag above $100,000. In 2020, expect to see the hybrid E-Ray Corvette debut featuring electric front-wheel propulsion.
    Don’t be surprised if it’s also called the Zora, named for Corvette godfather Zora Arkus-Duntov. We’ve also learned that Chevrolet is benchmarking the C8 against the likes of the Ferrari 458 Italia, Nissan GT-R, Porsche 911 Turbo, and the BMW i8. So there it is. A mid-engined Corvette is clearly happening though Chevy sources continue to deny it. What are your thoughts?
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 03:12 PM.

My Ride
    V8s

How exactly is it "clearly happening"? So far, we have a couple mid engine corvette renderings, and word of mouth. Basically the same shit we saw pre-C7 release about it being mid engined. Will believe it when it's released officially, until then

(note that I think a mid-engine C8 would be awesome. Even though I won't be a buyer, I like the idea of making the corvette more exotic)

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    So say goodbye to the "affordable" Corvette in a couple of years?
    ThIs exactly... Kind of disappointing

My Ride
    K-car

Mid-engined Vette rumors have been around since the C3. There have even been concept cars that looked almost production ready. This time, I think it's a real possibility for the C8. Chevy knows to take the car to the next performance level it need's to be mid-engined. Unless they find a way to make the current layout AWD, they're at max power with being able to hook up and handle.

The other rumor (the one I hope is true) is the Stingray continues on in the current layout/price, and Chevy will offer a top dog model (named ZR1 or Zora) that will be the six figure supercar slayer.

A mid-engined Vette will be

My Ride
    383 Camaro LT1

It's possible the Corvette will continue on and this will be more a competitor for the Ford GT, Audi R8, NSX, etc as a NEW halo car.
    93 Camaro Z28 (The fast one)
    01 Trans Am WS6 (The cute one)
    Esla T6 Dog Sled (Not cute, not fast, scary as hell)

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Gripenfelter
    It's possible the Corvette will continue on and this will be more a competitor for the Ford GT, Audi R8, NSX, etc as a NEW halo car.
    These are my thoughts as well.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

A fucking mid engined Corvette??

Bye Felicia....

I'm a huge fan of mid-engine vehicles
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

This is going to happen. Chevy's performance team has reached the limit for a front engine, rear drive platform.

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

Have they though? Recent tests show the Viper ACR is faster, and it is apparently much easier to drive than the Z06.

A mid-engined Vette is awesome and it'd be great to see Chevy in that space but I'd still prefer for them to stay traditional front engine/RWD with the Vette and resurrect one of the greatest looking concept cars of all time and let it be GM's halo product

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Cien

This concept car is almost 15 years old and still looks like it's from 5 years in the future. One of the biggest styling home runs the world has ever seen IMO

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    G37X

I don't know why this is such a surprise. I mean, it's great news. The corvette has always been the super car killer for the working man. The corvette has also evolved substantially with each generation on basically no budget. All corvettes are red is a great read into the struggles with launching the C5 in a depressed 1990's economy. It's not so much GM, they have a lot of talented people such as Tadge it's those goddamn bean counters.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Every time there's a generation change this rumor rears its head. Would be cool to see and would sort of make sense to market alongside the DP program which are racing mid engined "Corvettes" already.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    So say goodbye to the "affordable" Corvette in a couple of years?
    Originally posted by vengie

ThIs exactly... Kind of disappointing

A 500HP Mid Engined Sports car for 80K is expensive? I'd say that's more so the bargain of the century. Ferrari 458 Performance at Porsche Cayman S pricing

Not to mention it sounds like it won't replace the affordable C7 Stingray but more so run in parallel.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I love mid engined cars, but IMO the Corvette has a certain heritage to live up to, and that includes long nose, short rear deck. That's the way it has always been and always should be.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I love mid engined cars, but IMO the Corvette has a certain heritage to live up to, and that includes long nose, short rear deck. That's the way it has always been and always should be.
    I do agree with you there. It doesn't look distinctly corvette now to my eyes.

why does it have to be more expensive ? Pontiac Fiero ,Toyota MR2 , Fiat X1/9, Porsche 914, Lancia Monte Carlo were all affordable mid engine sports cars
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

...not that gm ever made money with the Fiero. I think development costs tend to be through the roof, as it's a dedicated platform that isn't likely to be shared through a brand's lineup.

My Ride
    K-car

Originally posted by 962 kid
    why does it have to be more expensive ? Pontiac Fiero ,Toyota MR2 , Fiat X1/9, Porsche 914, Lancia Monte Carlo were all affordable mid engine sports cars
    Because this mid-engined Corvette will have to match/exceed the performance of the world's best exotic cars, to do that it's going to cost more money.

It won't be in the exotic price territory. Hopefully full on performance of any exotic car at less than 1/2 the price.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast