Quantcast
family member took my car and got a no insurance ticket - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: family member took my car and got a no insurance ticket

Default family member took my car and got a no insurance ticket

I have two vehicles and one of them was uninsured. A family member took my uninured vehicle unknowingly and got a ticket for no registration and no insurance. Vehicle is in my name, as I am the registered owner and tickets are both in his name.

Am i screwed here? Any advice?
    Last edited by 8baller8; 05-16-2016 at 06:55 PM.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Report the vehicle as stolen

Am i on the hook for anything? Does this affect my ins. Premiums at all?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

I believe (not 100% sure) it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure any vehicle they are driving has adequate registration and insurance. I believe there was a thread on 780tuners of someone taking a bike for a test drive and getting caught and the driver, not the owner, was on the hook.

That being said someone more knowledgeable can hopefully confirm

My Ride
    Skateboard

So if both tickets are in his name and the car wasn't impounded I don't see an issue here.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Tickets are under his name. You're fine.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Like a couple others have said, you're fine. No impound, no RO (registered owner) tickets to you = not your problem.

Is there anyway he could get out of this? What are his options? Are his premiums going to double? How screwed is he?

My Ride
    Unit 91 come in 91

Originally posted by 8baller8
    Is there anyway he could get out of this? What are his options? Are his premiums going to double? How screwed is he?
    Pretty fucked. Unless he can prove he had insurance and registration on that day he's SOL. Obviously go to court for it. It's the drivers responsibility to ensure that they have proper papers.

His insurance will sky rocket for sure. He can ask for minimum fine and time to pay (6 months etc..) no insurance tickets are nothing to joke about.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Nope. Expensive too. Last I heard they were what... $2400? $2600? That was several years ago.

And that's just the fine. Added insurance premiums are likely going to be significant... but its private insurance companies so increases will vary.

Be a good family member and provide the lube.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Does this family member has insurance on other vehicles? Someone chime in here, but isn't there a rider available where your insurance follows you into whatever vehicle you are in?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Does this family member has insurance on other vehicles? Someone chime in here, but isn't there a rider available where your insurance follows you into whatever vehicle you are in?
    Don't take this as an accurate reply because I am not an insurance expert by any means but I believe your insurance may follow you if you have an incident while operating someone else's vehicle but this is a totally different situation. Please note I may be totally out to left field on my assumption above but with respect to the no insurance ticket, if that were the case that insurance on your vehicle would cover you on another vehicle that has no insurance then why would anyone bother to have insurance on multiple vehicles.

Come to think of it, even my first assumption above seems whacked - hopefully someone in the auto insurance industry can chime in here.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

No insurance / no registration ticket, on top of whatever he got pulled over for in the first place?

Never hired anyone before for a ticket but if I were to, it'd be for this one.

After doing some reading, I believe it's your policy that covers anyone you lend your vehicle to except in the case identified by the OaP.

Thus, our sole vehicle which I believe is under an insurance policy that only covers drivers over 25 would put us at personal risk if we lent it to someone under 25.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Altima

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Nope. Expensive too. Last I heard they were what... $2400? $2600? That was several years ago.

And that's just the fine. Added insurance premiums are likely going to be significant... but its private insurance companies so increases will vary.

Be a good family member and provide the lube.

My brother just finished paying off his no insurance and registration tickets. $3200 and I think he said that was reduced during the court hearing.
    Originally posted by WongYue

10% of a litre bike throttle should mean a 100cc right? I think I can handle that.

Originally posted by rx7boi
    No insurance / no registration ticket, on top of whatever he got pulled over for in the first place?
    I'm guessing he got pulled over for expired registration. I'm told that traffic cops are constantly checking plates while driving.

My Ride
    V8s

This sucks for OPs family member. But seriously, isn't this something everyone would at least consider looking into before you just grab the keys for a car? I would never take someones car without asking them first, or at least have had some type of conversation about it.

Unless, of course, OP told the family member to take whichever car whenever they want, and neglected to inform them that one might not be insured. If that's the case, bigtime dick move haha.

My Ride
    (0^oo^0)~

Originally posted by Mibz
    I'm guessing he got pulled over for expired registration. I'm told that traffic cops are constantly checking plates while driving.
    For sure. But at any given time there's plenty of cars on the road so maybe it was just blind luck that they happened to do a random check on their vehicle lol.

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

Originally posted by rx7boi

For sure. But at any given time there's plenty of cars on the road so maybe it was just blind luck that they happened to do a random check on their vehicle lol.
    It takes a second to glance over at someones plate and see the registration sticker was expired before you decide to run them and see if its actually valid or not.
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

Originally posted by ae92gts

My brother just finished paying off his no insurance and registration tickets. $3200 and I think he said that was reduced during the court hearing.
    Is ir technically a criminal record?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast